Fletcher has had an accident.

stuartgerrard85

Oct 17, 2011
The other nite fletch jumped up the sofa and scrached my sons eye very close to a serious accident! How can i stop him from getting up the sofa on the kids? Ive tried to stop him but he just keeps trying get up and makes me feel so bad for shouting at him.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
If you don't want him on the sofa..don't feel bad! Every time he tries..you need to tell him down..or no..or whatever your command is. No excuses! Give him a bed or an alternative and lead him there. He will catch on! You could try a spray bottle or other deterrent if heis resistant over time.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] stated it well... be consistent

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] yeah, what she said. He will eventually get it, just be consistent.

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
It takes time to train them to stay down - especially if it's a new rule. We moved in our new home in Aug & got a new couch. We decided no more bully on the furniture. I'm still tossing her off, but much less often. A spray bottle works well for us & we recently put a blanket on the floor next to the couch & she is readily getting on the blanket when we
Make her get down. You could also try coins in a can. Just be consistent! We've had to make it
A rule everywhere bc after Thanksgiving where my In laws let
Her on the couch it was like starting all over!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You have gotten great advice. All I can add is give him a place to go, telling him down is half of it but you have to redirect to what is a good spot for him, like a doggy bed, etc. They are stubborn but very smart. Just like with kids you have to be consistent.

OP
S

stuartgerrard85

Oct 17, 2011
We didnt mind him getting on the sofa just with him jumping up and.almost scratching olivers eye out made us reconsider it! Its funny when people are asking how he cut his eye and we say its not fletchers fault it our own cuz we let him up and they just look at us like we are stupid! Anyway thanks for the tips and this is going to be hard to get him to stop jumping up! But we are telling everyone that comes round to not allow him up even though he does everything to get up.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
It's heart breaking for us to have to tell them no ... But consistency is the key!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.