Need help with Bulldog food

Katrik

Aug 1, 2010
Asheville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess "Katie"
I am in desperate need of help. I have a 2 year old female bulldog. We used to feed her Royal Canin Bulldog formula, but noticed that she was getting ear infections, which I was told was from the dog food. We then switched her to Taste of the Wild, she really likes the prairie formula. We have since noticed that she is having a lot of eye boogers as well as reddish brown stain in the wrinkles around the corner of her nose, between her toes, in her ears, and around her pee pee area. What is this is? And should we look to change her food? If so, what brand is recommended. She doesn't seem to be bothered by this, but I know this can't be good. The vet did comment on her toes and says it looks like a mild allergy reaction that may have to be treated with medicine if it persists. HELP!! :shout:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
First off! Thank you from Gracie and us for the wonderful Secret Santa gifts. Please check out the video of Gracie opening her gifts. It was manic. She LOVES the wubba. It has become her favorite thing to play with since opening it.

Now to the food issues. It's likely something in the food she's on that is the culprit. We have discovered through trial and error that HRH is likely allergic to Chicken and Salmon. We feed her the Fromm Beef Frittata and a lot of issues similar to what you mention Katie has have cleared up with the change to that food about a year ago. What issues she has had we attribute to still trying to find just the perfect treat. We have tried several different types and nothing has been exactly perfect yet. Fromm doesn't have a treat that is chicken, salmon and grain free.

All that said, they do have allergy testing that could tell you exactly what to avoid.
Or, as many of us have you can try a slow transition to limited ingredient type foods and watch the results. No one food seems to be the perfect solution for all bullies. we all seem to have to go by trial and error. It can be a long process depending on just what your girl is sensitive to.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Definitely sounds like an allergy.... I would ask your vet to do a full screen blood allergy test, it will help with the guessing game. @cowsmom will be able to give you some input on the food, but I noticed by reducing potatoes in Banks food/treats it lessened her yeast issue. Could also be due to environmental allergies..... you'll know better after the blood test.

I have Banks on the Fromm Beef frittata for about a month -- she is doing very well on it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.