Need help with my english bulldog

MikeyBoi

Jun 30, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Aye-Ma like Hey Ma
well this mostly just started happening recently ...i dont know why....She is potty trained(we have this potty patch that she always use).Sometime when i have to leave the house i normally let her urinate first and then crate her.But lately ,wen i come back there poop in there half missing and her breathe reeks it.
Her crate fit js perfectly for her to spin bak and forth,and ive also tried the pill to make her poop smells bad.And she also poop at random time ,so i hav no idea to time it
Any advice on how i can avoid this from keep happening,because i dont want to wash her and her bed everytime i come home

BTW ...her piss been smelling it rubbing alcohol...its that a sign of UTI

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There really is no rhyme or reason to :poo: eating... just something some dogs do. [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] has this issue with Wilson so she may ave some insight.

Strong odor to urine can be a UTI.... have her checked by a vet.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
well this mostly just started hening recently ...i dont know why....She is potty trained(we have this potty patch that she always use).Sometime when i have to leave the house i normally let her urinate first and then crate her.But lately ,wen i come back there poop in there half missing and her breathe reeks it.
Her crate fit js perfectly for her to spin bak and forth,and ive also tried the pill to make her poop smells bad.And she also poop at random time ,so i hav no idea to time it
Any advice on how i can avoid this from keep happening,because i dont want to wash her and her bed everytime i come home

BTW ...her piss been smelling it rubbing alcohol...its that a sign of UTI

it sounds as if she hasn't had a BM before she is crated, remember that dogs have to walk run/fast walk for quite a ways before the bowls can move take longer/be more aggressive in the pace of the walk just before she is crated, and do not feed quite so close to crating her. as for the BM eating, make sure any is cleaned up quickly , and always leave a kong filled wit cream cheese (because dogs can be allergic to peanuts like we are ) and if you like you an add a couple big spoons of pineapple to her kibble -it doesn't taste so good the second time around.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
If her health checks out..maybe she's eating her :poo: because she's ashamed she did it? That poo eating is tough to stop in some dogs. Sometimes it can be a sign they are lacking something in their diet too. I'm sorry..no real help..but I'm sure others will chime in.

OP
M

MikeyBoi

Jun 30, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Aye-Ma like Hey Ma
yea it just get on my nerve sometime that i have to do laundry all the time and wash her ...not to mention she loves to give kisses and i dont want to deal with that ...
yea im suppose to callthe vet tomorow since its closed today

OP
M

MikeyBoi

Jun 30, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Aye-Ma like Hey Ma
well she is eating royal canine and im switching to the adult formula real soon since her birthday is on january 7...

Linda that might b true...and what does bm means

Jake yea she is ashamed because the biggest clue she gives me sometime is that when she eat it all when im not aronud and when i come back to let her out she put her head down like shes ashamed of herself...

just need a little help ..shes driving me nuts

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would do like [MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] said and to make sure she does have a bowel movement before crating her. We had a pup about 6 months old that would every once in a while poop in her crate and would try to eat it, because she was ashamed and trying to clean it up. When we walked up to her crate she would just hang her head down because she knew she messed up. She finally grew out of it, with some help from us, we would try to make sure she pooped before crating. You may do this already, but we never withhold water from them, they have access to water 24/7 including in their crates, and it has never hampered house training.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=2667]MikeyBoi[/MENTION] if her crate is only big enough for her to turn around in, she's probably eating her **** to get rid of it. Get a larger crate and take her to the vet, if you don't like the way she smells, its' probably because she can't get away from the crap. I feel sorry for your poor baby girl. She's almost one year old. She shouldn't be poohing in her crate. Maybe its me, but it sounds kind of dysfunctional.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
If her health checks out..maybe she's eating her :poo: because she's ashamed she did it? That poo eating is tough to stop in some dogs. Sometimes it can be a sign they are lacking something in their diet too. I'm sorry..no real help..but I'm sure others will chime in.

sorry but the something missing is a myth, dogs are so in the moment, and if they are not getting exercise that they need, to burn off the energy, and they need the stimulation of toys to stimulate, them, try a ball that holds kibble inside. she will roll it around until one peace falls out! it is enough to keep them trying. dogs who are bored,get into more trouble. tr a walk even around 2 of 3 sides of the block, by that much they will(90%) of them it will be enough. and then toss a ball. I even had one dog that retrieved balls

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My only advice is try and feed her a little earlier before you have to leave the house to give her chance to poop ... we have to do the same with our lab mix. He's not crated but if we don't feed and get him outside in time then we come back to a little :poo: pile somewhere in the house!!!

I also agree that there is a strong possibility that shes hiding it because she is ashamed ..... how old is Aye-Ma??? Sometimes if she's just a puppy it can feel as if you take two steps forward in her training, and then one step back!!! So I would be interested to know how old she is.

Also, I can't beg you enough to get her off that awful food ... Royal Canin is just crap and she is going to benefit so much from being on a much better food. We have a link http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings that was put together specifically for the bulldog breed. Hopefully, that will give you some idea of what you could be feeding her.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
sorry but the something missing is a myth, dogs are so in the moment, and if they are not getting exercise that they need, to burn off the energy, and they need the stimulation of toys to stimulate, them, try a ball that holds kibble inside. she will roll it around until one peace falls out! it is enough to keep them trying. dogs who are bored,get into more trouble. tr a walk even around 2 of 3 sides of the block, by that much they will(90%) of them it will be enough. and then toss a ball. I even had one dog that retrieved balls

Had 3 vets over the years tell me sometimes its a diet thing..think I will stick to the vets opinion. Two out of the three times they were able to solve it.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
:welcome: to EBN MikeyBoi. Glad you're here and hope that we can guide you with Aye-Ma's pooh eating ways. Unlike your girl, Wilson started liking pooh almost from the time we brought him home at 8 weeks old. He'll be 1 on Jan. 8th. I want to say though he does not eat his own pooh. He only eats my oldest dog's pooh. I tried everything under the sun and nothing worked for Wilson. The vet recommended a sprinkle of Adolph's meat tenderizer on my old's dog food - that did not work. I tried the Deterrent pills for all dogs - those did not work. I tried the pineapple (not sure if that would have worked because my oldest dog is the one that had to take it and he hates pineapple so we quit that one). We tried hunting down each pooh outside and sprinkling cayenne pepper on the pooh - Wilson didn't mind it. And I tried Franks Red Hot - you guessed it that didn't work either, just made his pooh spicy. But if she's just doing it in her crate seems the crate size could be the issue (I wouldn't want to sit in my crap all day).

Is she only eating her pooh during her crate time and not when she's outside? I agree with the others, it's time for a bigger crate. At nearly 1 year old she should be able to be in a decent size crate. It's a natural instinct for dogs to clean their area of feces. After countless hours of research on why dogs eat their pooh, it came down to few things really that I read: (1) They eat it because they like it, as gross as that is for us; (2) I read they 'could' have a vitamin deficiency; (3) they're actually getting too much food; (4) they're cleaning their area.

Definitely give her more time to relieve her bowels before you leave (BM = bowel movement). For some dogs this can take 0-15 minutes, give or take. I always give Wilson enough time to take a dump and he's a two time pooper, he poops once and then walks about 20 feet or so and poops again. I can't always get out to the yard fast enough to get my old dog's pooh picked up (we pick up 4 times a day) so almost daily Wilson gets a hold of some. I've just gotten used to cleaning his mouth and face with some baby wipes or a wet cloth and I clean inside his mouth too, even on the gums (but be careful not to rip the small layer of skin that attaches the lips to the gums out of your frustration).

Just so you know and I don't think I've mentioned this until now, the first time this happened with Wilson I said to my husband that I could not deal with a dog that eats crap!!! I was pissed and occasionally I had to step away from Wilson before I lost my temper (I wouldn't really lose it though). I just didn't want a crap eating dog. Let's just say now I'm used to cleaning pooh from his face and I love him unconditionally.

So, I recommend getting a bigger crate, let her out longer and watch her to make sure she does her business (just cause she's outside say for 15 minutes doesn't mean they done what they need to do), try to understand that that if you get a bigger crate and the issue is not resolved, she may have gotten used to cleaning up after herself. I'd imagine she's bowing her head in shame as she's probably gotten scolded for it so she knows in her eyes it's not acceptable to you.

Most important though, don't be too hard on her for eating it, it's not a bad thing in the dog's mind like it is in ours. Just clean her up and give her some loving and carry on, you'll both be happier trust me. ;).

ps...as @kazzy220 suggests, feed her earlier before you leave for the day to give her plently of time for the food to digest. We feed 1.5hrs before we leave for work.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Thank you [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] I didn't have that much patient to explain, I apologize to our new friend [MENTION=2667]MikeyBoi[/MENTION] and Aye-Ma
Please send us pictures of her.

Thank you

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION], thanks for the thanks. If anyone has more experience than mine, I welcome them to chip in, lol.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online