Is your bully a "gentle giant" with children??

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester is so unbelieveably gentle!! My 3 year old nephew, Joshua< came over on Saturday and I watched him... he knelt down to pet Chester and Chester came up with his big slobbery tongue and gave him a "kiss" on his nose! :heart: It was hysterical! Then, Chester wiped his nose on his shorts - the look on Josh's face was priceless with the big snot mark planted on his leg! He didn't jump on him, chase him, or do anything else... he just would "kiss" Josh whenever he came near :)

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson is a little too wild for children. I am young, I don't have kids yet, most of my friends don't have kids yet and all us "kids" in my family are grown up now so he just isn't around them much. He is just overly excited at times. I have to watch him really carefully.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Thats awesome and cute :)

Little kids in our neighborhood mobs our Shih Tzu with affection when they see her, and Winnie loves it. I'm hoping that our BD will enjoy it also.

Last edited:

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Gertie Gentle? Oh no! She's not a giant yet and she is WILD!! My little grandsons come over and she plays so hard, she needs a long nap after they go home. (and so do the boys, which makes my daughter happy)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Molly, yes. But she is perfectly behaved. She loves giving the babies a facial with her super long tounge! I can have both babies on the floor with her and she just lays there, gives them an occasional lick and sniff.

The rest of them cannot really be around the (little) baby if she is running about, and Bryce can handle the pups, but not Jess and Mandy. They are too wild! So they must be in my lap when they visit them. For some reason Mandy loves my 8 year old too much too and tries to hump him and grab his pants whenever he is around, so my 8 year old avoids Mandy at all costs! Trust me when I say my day is very well organized about who is zooming about, who's in, who's outside, who's in their kennel. Everyday is pretty busy here. Kinda like a Zoo. :p

SonoftheSea

Jul 28, 2010
The Netherlands
Bulldog(s) Names
Bono, Son of the Sea
Bono, 5 yrs, is always very gentle to kids (all ages)
He likes to kiss, hug and if possible (also if it isn't :D) he wants to sit on their lap. (Bono thinks he's still a puppy)
Not all people who visit us appreciate Bono's affection ha, ha

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Cutty can be the gentle giant and for the most part he is perfect with Sierra. If he chases her it is at her pace and he licks her legs while she runs from him and believe me she tries to instigate this as much as possible. BUT if he has a toy and wants it the crazy side comes out and he will be a bully and knock her down to get wher he wants to be. She can handle him tho for the most part, the only thing she cant handle is his heavy paws. If he wants scratched and puts his paws up, they are VERY heavy and he will hurt her. usually he doesnt do that tho unless he is doing it to me and I can control him.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Well I lied, Samson certainly can be very gentle with children, I guess we just don't come across enough for me to know that. The other day I was walking Samson and Loki. I was picking up Loki's "business" and didn't realize a little boy from our community had followed us over to this grassy area we were at. I look over and Samson is walking up to him (Samson was on a retractable leash so he had plenty of room to walk around), he stops at the boy's feet and just happily stands there at this little boys feet. This little boy was like 5/6, Samson just should at his feet calmly as the boy pet him, didn't try to jump or act wild at all. It was so cute. The little boy wanted to pet the dogs and he asked me why Samson doesn't have a tail LOL

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Well I lied, Samson certainly can be very gentle with children, I guess we just don't come across enough for me to know that. The other day I was walking Samson and Loki. I was picking up Loki's "business" and didn't realize a little boy from our community had followed us over to this grassy area we were at. I look over and Samson is walking up to him (Samson was on a retractable leash so he had plenty of room to walk around), he stops at the boy's feet and just happily stands there at this little boys feet. This little boy was like 5/6, Samson just should at his feet calmly as the boy pet him, didn't try to jump or act wild at all. It was so cute. The little boy wanted to pet the dogs and he asked me why Samson doesn't have a tail LOL

I can relate to this. Linus is a giant but he's not gentle. Or so I thought...I think my nerves and being afraid of him around kids had always colored the way he reacted toward them. It wasn't until I was in a similar situation and Linus displayed perfect manners around a 3 or 4 year old then a newborn, that I knew it was a lot more me than Linus. :bully:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Again Samson proved to me he is very gentle with children and I just worry too much. We went to the vet today for his vaccines. While we were waiting in the lobby a young girl probably like 6 yrs walked in with her mom. She noticed Sam right away and ran over to us to ask if she could pet him. She pet him for awhile and Sam was perfectly gentle and calm the whole time. Then a couple minutes later a boy about 7-8 asked to pet him as well. He sat on the floor right in front of Samson. Sat there for at least 5 minutes talking to me and loving on Samson, petting him, hugging him, letting Samson give him kisses. That little boy LOVED Samson! And again Samson was a wonderfully calm and gentle little man :heart::bully:

Kikiwhoa21

Jun 16, 2010
Wonderland, Texas!
Bulldog(s) Names
Chev Chelios && Faith
Chelios was quit gentle && knew what to do && what not to do with kids when he was little only because the family we got him from had 5 kids all under the age of 11years old. So he's always a good boy about that except sometimes her forgets what a big boy he is && can sometimes knock em down. But other then that he''s pretty good. Now Faith on the other had is a Wild thing! That little girl has no manners.. :/ She just wants to jump, lick, && eat your nose all the time.. :p lol. but im hoping with time she'll get better with kids. It's hard cuz we have no kids && no family here. But they're not tooo bad. :)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Although Vegas would never hurt a fly, he does not realize his 65 lbs. When he is around small children, first he tries to jump on them, which scares small children, then he tries to hump them. Always the humper!!:eek:, whether a small child or adult, and yes he is fixed!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.