Two issues, multi dog homes advice wanted!

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
So Brooke and Frankie are doing wayy better than I could have ever imagined after only 2 days together. So far there are only two issues. No food aggression at all. But there is some toy problems. Brooke is spoiled rotten, she is used to always stealing toys right out of her cousins, push over labs, mouths even if she has the exact same one right in front of her. So she won't let him have ANYTHING. Part of it may be that the toys were hers before he even came here, he came with his only toy, a kong. No bones or anything. They don't fight very viciously about it but I still don't like it. So for the most part we removed toys from the equation, the only time they get bones is after they eat when they are separted (to avoid bloat since they play so intensly all of the time). [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] sent us two dinosaur shaped nylabones which were a life saver for a little while, I opened them at the same time and gave one to each and they were fine, Brooke kept to her own, presumably since they are new and she doesn't yet consider them hers. But then Frankie got bored and went over to Brooke and it was on all over again. So no toys again. Any ideas?

The other issue is the humping. I'm not sure if he's doing it as a dominance thing or just because he isn't fixed and his hormones are telling him to. We are DEFINATELY fixing him soon, it's just a crazy time of year with christmas coming so fast. Brooke hates it when he tries to, she makes a growly noise that I've never heard from her before. So she's trying to stop him but she weighs about 38 lbs and he's gotta be over 60, so as fiesty as she is (and she actually holds her own VERY well considering) she gets pinned and frusterated. We are doing our best to correct Frankie with a raised voice which sometimes makes him let go but other times we have to pry him off. Any ideas or advice on this would be great too!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
How old is he? It's possible the humping will just be something you'll have to live with correcting. There is no guarantee that he will stop when he's fixed.

Others have heard this before... When we first started looking for a dog I told Bruce I preferred getting a girl, because it seems most boy dogs have some degree of humping issues.... So we get a girl...and guess what! HRH is a humper! I'd never heard of a girl humper so it just about floored me when she did it the first time. She only does it when she's very excited. Luckily it's very brief, and she stops right away when we correct her. Her episodes of trying have decreased dramatically, so they do learn what's acceptable and what's not...but she will still slip into it occasionally when she gets excited, usually right after I get home from work and sit down to play with her.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
OK first the toys, they will always want what the other has but should learn to play together without too much grumbling if you step in and let them know it is not acceptable. If one on mine steals a toy from one I will step in and take it away from the one that stole it tell them "no" and give it back to the other one, then get another toy and give to the one that stole it. It takes time but will pay off. Mine all play and have their toys on the floor all the time.

As far as the humping goes it's mostly a dominance thing, plus if your boy is young that plays into it also. Buddy is almost 3 tears old and still intact, and he does not have a humping issue hardly at all. When he was younger he did but with me getting on him about it plus getting older it's not a problem. Every once in awhile he will try it but I correct him and it's over. You need to step in when he does it to Brooke. To brake it up here is what I do, grab him firmly on the side of the neck and hold as you are pushing him off. Once he gets off and stops you can release the grip. This lets him know you are the alpha and he will soon get the message. Just be consistent and patient. Hope this helps.

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] he's almost one and a half, will be two in july. so he's gotta be right around doggie puberty still. and Brooke humped a few times, once to my sister which was hilarious and a few times to the labs but with correction she has stopped.

[MENTION=410]Telly03[/MENTION] thank goodness there's hope! how old was moe when you got him fixed?

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] Thanks for the toy advice, I'm definately going to try that out rather than just give up and not let them have toys. I just hope it works, they are so stubborn and persistant! I'm hoping since he is still young that the humping is more of a hormone thing than a dominance one, especially since he does allow Brooke to put him in his place. I'm not sure if I can do the neck thing you described, he is PURE muscle and SOOO strong, when I correct him I have to pry his front legs off from around her hips and sometimes as I pick him up he's holding her so tight that she gets lifted up too. It's crazy. He does respond a lot better to my boyfriend than me, most of the time all Kevin has to do is say his name and/or stand up and he'll let go.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
[MENTION=2514]Sarah[/MENTION] I don't recall the exact age, but I think it was around 7 months. So yes, you may have some behavioral humping to deal with, but that should be easier to correct without the biological urges

Suzy2

Apr 24, 2011
Accrington Northern England
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter & Winston
I've got two boys and had the same issues initially. I took the toys away for the first month, then gradually introduced them, tug of war ring type were the first back, so they could both hold. Fortunately for us, overall, they both like different types, Dexter loves a ball whereas Winston prefers something to chew on.

The humping will decrease as each day passes, just let them get on with it. Reinforce the pecking order with all your interactions and it should settle down. :)

vaill

Nov 16, 2011
Presley is a girl and she humps too, only right after I first come home from work, she is so excited and she will grab my leg if I am not careful, but its easy to distract her and get her to stop..

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
In the last couple of weeks, I've noticed Bo has had an increase in "humping incidents" and, for him, it's directly related to excitement level. It happens when we play off leash at our complex's doggie area. Both he and Bea LOVE to go there and chase each other and wrestle... it's when Bo takes the play-energy-level to a wild spot (excitement-wise) as that is when the humping occurs. My job is to keep the excitement level down for Bo - if at all possible - and step in when it's gone too far and he's pinned Bea and having a humpfest. There's a VERY FINE LINE for him between having a good time and over-excitement. When I'm not paying attention - texting or talking on my phone - it VERY quickly escalates so I've learned to be watchful of this. When I nip it in the bud, it's absolutely manageable. I try NOT to use sound - and use body language and energy instead if possible - so I can save the hollering for more emergency-type issues. We'll see how this goes....it's a new situation and a new strategy for us.....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OK first the toys, they will always want what the other has but should learn to play together without too much grumbling if you step in and let them know it is not acceptable. If one on mine steals a toy from one I will step in and take it away from the one that stole it tell them "no" and give it back to the other one, then get another toy and give to the one that stole it. It takes time but will pay off. Mine all play and have their toys on the floor all the time.

As far as the humping goes it's mostly a dominance thing, plus if your boy is young that plays into it also. Buddy is almost 3 tears old and still intact, and he does not have a humping issue hardly at all. When he was younger he did but with me getting on him about it plus getting older it's not a problem. Every once in awhile he will try it but I correct him and it's over. You need to step in when he does it to Brooke. To brake it up here is what I do, grab him firmly on the side of the neck and hold as you are pushing him off. Once he gets off and stops you can release the grip. This lets him know you are the alpha and he will soon get the message. Just be consistent and patient. Hope this helps.

Perfect advice....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.