Crate Training Backslide

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I've been crate training my now 14 week old puppy - so for 4 weeks now. I thought I was in the clear. He was going to bed without barking, waking up without much barking, and starting to even not go potty overnight.

Then last night happened.

I put him to bed as usually and he barked his head off. Tonight the same thing. Any ideas on what's happening or do I just need to dig my heels in and ignore him until he gets over this phase?

Stubborn little bullie! :bully:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I think if he was fine before, you know he has enough to eat/drink that day, has gone potty right before bed and he isn't in there for a really LONG night then I would personally just let him bark. He'll get used to it. I've never had this problem myself though, my dogs have never had any issues being crated.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Probably just testing you. If you take him out when he barks, he will know that is what he will get from it. I suggest you don't take him out if he starts barking, and maybe put a towel or blanket over his crate at night. Make sure it does not cover the entire crate though- you don't wanna smother him. This has worked for me in the past with the barks in the crate.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Exactly what I was going to say. When Gertie barks, which isn't often, we throw a towel over her crate and she quiets right down. Luckily, Gertie has always been so good in her crate. Hard to believe since she's such a stinker out of her crate. Guess she has to be good sometimes. But she really is getting better and better. She's come a long ways in the last couple weeks.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Just an update that it appears your ideas were spot on. His misbehaving went on for about two days and then it was back to being quiet at nighttime and sort of quiet in the morning...as long as someone gets up early. That morning burst of energy in puppies is just so, so crazy and funny!

Unfortunately, he still goes pee pee in his crate but has not pooped in there in a week or so. Little steps!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online