Thread: Possibly allergy, food switch issues

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guinness
    Likes (Received)

Default Possibly allergy, food switch issues

Hey everybody,

Some of you may have read by I have been dealing with Guinness having scabs on his back and redness between his toes since August and the vet keeps giving antibiotics but it continues. Also, his eyes are watering even more and his tear stains are getting bad. I have made the switch between multiple FROMM 4 star with no luck. The most recent is pork and applesauce. Instead of bringing Guinness back to the vet again, he is starting to get scared when we pull up, I am looking to switch his food again. Soon as he eats, face turns bright red and eyes water terribly. I am thinking of changing to grain free surf and turf, to give it a try before I bring him back to the vet again and this time have an allergy test. Vet has been giving me a hard time about getting allergy test done He is also on Grizzly Salmon Oil. Will also try some apple cider vinegar. Do you guys think stay within FROMM, he was on Fromm gold puppy and did AWESOME on it or possibly move to Nature's variety instinct or another 6 star food. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pooper scooper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily & Humphrey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Possibly allergy, food switch issues

My male, Humphrey, breaks out in huge scabby spots whenever I give him a bath in oatmeal shampoo. We're also having issues with my female having brown paws & tear stains, but his was definitely related to bath time.

It took a whole to make the correlation because it would take 4 days or more for the splotches to com to a head. Then they burst an bleed and look horrible.

Going back to baby shampoo seems to fix it. He doesn't break out from it.

Priscilla

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

I would try the surf n turf, maybe that will help. Our Lucy turned red on the pork and apple sauce and we switched her to the surf n turf and she is doing OK on it. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Well.i hope this doesn't muddle your choices. Jake didn't do well on surf n turf at all,but I think it's because he's sensitive to chicken. I put him on the beef frittata,still grain free and NO chicken. He did much better. I recently tried switching him to the Natures Variety Salmon and almost immediately he had a bad reaction. Swollen pink feet and itchiness. His eyes were tearing also. Soooo...back to the beef frittata and even though I don't think it's the perfect food for him,it's what seems to work right now. Poor Guinness..I know how his daddy feels!

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

I highly recommend getting the allergy testing done so you can eliminate the guessing game on what gennius is allergic too. I did it for Wilson when he was 5/6 months old and he's highly allergic to chicken. I've never tried Fromm yet so can't put my two cents in. Good luck though.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

@wfd38383 i was wondering why you did not feed the gold adult? if he did well on the gold puppy why not try the gold adult. fromm is good food whether its 4 star or gold or classic. i would try the adult gold and see if he gets better then maybe try the surf n turf. not sure bout beef frittata as it has pork in it and if he did not do well on pork n applesauce might not do well on that. its a guessing game really. its allergy testing time for you i think to be honest. ive been through like 15 different food with sarah. she is ok now on the food i have her on but im getting her tested after christmas. let us know how it goes.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

The little guy sounds like he's got some crazy allergies so what I would do (and did do, though I didn't have as severe problems as you) is start on a grain-free, potato-free, gluten-free food. I am currently feeding Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet Lamb Formula. It has one protein, one starch (less potential for an allergic reaction and seems to be working well for my allergy prone bullies, who have struggled with skin and ear ailments. The other advantage with the NVI LID is that if Guiness does react to it, you will know what protein or starch is bothering him and eliminate that way. NVI also makes a LID Turkey formula.

It's well worth the money and the hassle to find that perfect food so keep going and good luck!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guinness
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the advice everybody. Think I am going to try the surf and turf to start off with and go from there.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

How old was señor chubby when you switched from Fromm puppy and everything started going downhill? I ask this because bullies don't usually manifest allergy symptoms until they are older, so it could be timing as well as the switch.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Older as in an older puppy I meant

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Yes I say try the grain free fromm cuz the switch is easier that the switch over to a whole other food. The beef frittata was ok for cutty but he seemed more pink on it. I use the surf and turf and it seems to work well. Hopefully you figure it out, what a pain huh? In the meantime you could be posting more pics of him cuz as you know I really his smooshy face!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@wfd38383 how old is Guinness? If you are going to stay with Fromm switch to the Beef formula - it has no chicken and is grain free. Also, if your vet is not willing t give a simple blood screen allergy test - I'd be looking for a new vet. Our bullies are very different and suffer from a great deal of allergies, make all your lives easier and stop the guessing game with the simple test. Look on the vet recommendation list to see if there is a bully experienced vet in your area.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads