Question about deer antlers

vaill

Nov 16, 2011
A friend who hunts is bringing over some deer antlers tonight, what should I do to them before I let Presley have them?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Only thing I can think of would be to wash them well. If they are large you could saw them into more controllable pieces but you want them large enough that they can't swallow them.

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
I was wondering the same thing. Macy is a chewer as everyone knows and someone told me to buy her deer antlers. So i did and she chewed on it for about 2 min and hasnt touched it since despite my encouragement.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Yep thats what I do. Wash them really well and saw them to more manageable pieces and take sharp tips out.

OP
V

vaill

Nov 16, 2011
Thank you!! I just hope she likes them she is a champion chewer!!! As I think all Bullies are! lol

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=3752]webster03[/MENTION] somebody suggested soaking them in beef or chicken broth to keep them from getting brittle, maybe this will help catch her interest? I finally bought some for all my fur kids for their stockings so hopefully they will love them as much as everyone elses pups do. Got one for my mils pup too. :)

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] That's a great idea. But don't boil them. You don't want to give it to them cooked. I really wouldn't do anything to them. Just hand them over to the dog.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
When we buy them we pick out ones with marrow exposed, then Lola will grind the marrow out slowly but surely...they last us about 3 months each

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
Wow you really do learn something new everyday lol.. I would have never thought that Deer Antlers would be a good treat for dogs... Cool I will have to have my brother start saving them for me lol..

OP
V

vaill

Nov 16, 2011
Ok friends brought antlers over I had to ask him to take them back and take the sharp points off.. (they aren't dog people imagine that!!) lol
So it will be today before she gets them but she kept trying to take them out of his hands when he was showing them to me.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i just got some for my dogs from petco and they love them. well 2 of them do the other isnt that interested. i have been trying to get them onto something besides rawhides as i have learned they are not good chew toys. sarah and one of my bostons love them. they not to crazy bout the nylabones. i have bought several and its no go. i keep trying.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH loves hers. She also has a favorite blue nubby nylabone and TBone made from hard rubber. She has a different nylabone, the green and tan type, that she mostly ignores. go figure.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
But grind down any sharp edges or points. They could sure do some damage!

The antler I bought at the pet shop was an "end" that was pointy narrow - too slight for Bo the super chewer. When I buy these again, I'll get a fatter hunk, closer to the base where it's thicker. Bo immediately chewed the edge to get to the marrow and it created a nice little razor sharp edge that cut his cheek. I had to toss the antler. A waste. That antler wasn't cheap either.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.