What are your thoughts on seatbelting your dog..

Gold bullies

Nov 27, 2011
Dayton Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonez, Bitzie, Brook and Bumble....not forgetting our ff Mr Burger
I have noticed that alot of people let thier dog's have the run of the car. Some seem ok and can sit and enjoy the ride. I do use the seatbelt for my bullies, They wear a harness which clips onto an attachment on the belt. They can move a little to get comfortable. Look out the window or sleep, (well Bitzie isnt big enough yet to see out the window).

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I think it is the best idea and we had a thread about this many moons ago. Sadly I still have forgotten to actually get something. My kids dont travel often but still they should be secured somehow to be safe.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Ok so here is where I fail. I have a seatbelt attachment that I used when Dozer was a puppy and would roam the car. As he got older I stopped using it. With Tyson I have never used it. I know I should but he just sits so well. I don't wear a seatbelt near enough either.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
If its just me taking Ruckus I loop the seatbelt through his leash. He can still lounge but can't get to the front. When my skin kids are with me he sits in the middle of them unbelted. Probably not the best idea!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I always use the seat belt on them and me. Their harnesses have a loop for it. I've had a couple of incidences where I had to brake suddenly and my dogs fly off the seat and hit the back of my seat. My car is small so that there is not much distance between the front and the back. I don't want to take any chances with my "precious cargo" so I will always take the time to seat belt them in. My only problem is that Wilson insists on standing up all the time he's in the car so he can look out the window.:)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig and Punking both have their own seatbelts. They're harnesses where the end has the d-ring that we just click to the seatbelt buckle. It's a must for when we travel somewhere, which is often enough throughout the week.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ok so here is where I fail. I have a seatbelt attachment that I used when Dozer was a puppy and would roam the car. As he got older I stopped using it. With Tyson I have never used it. I know I should but he just sits so well. I don't wear a seatbelt near enough either.

:nonono: listen Missy! You better buckle up..EVERY time! Your "family" needs you! Isn't it the law there? :confused:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I am guilty of not being consistent in buckling them in. I even have one of those special harnesses that have a caribeener attachement for the seat belt. I know i must do this each time they're in the car with me but i have been lax about it. This thread has reminded me to just DO IT.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We put ours in their harnesses and clip them in.

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] I know, I know and yeah it's the law here. I suppose I'm just a rebel lol.

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
We have an attachment for each of our cars for Brooke's harness. It was a pain switching it back and forth so now we just have one for each.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We used it all the time with them as pups... and occasional as they got older. Now, Banks HATES the car so much we let her lay on the floor in the back which helps her to be more relaxed

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I alway buckle Lucy in. Once when she was a baby my husband hit the breaks and she flew off the back seat and onto the floor. I was shocked she wasn't seriously hurt. From that day on we have strapped her in.

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] I just went to gas station which is .4 miles form my house according to my gps and I thought of you and put my stinkin seat belt on.There and home even .

Most Reactions