Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Behavior

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

Default Bad Behavior

We gate Lola in the kitchen while we're at work, have been doing that since August with no problems. Last week she started chewing my kitchen cabinets. In four places so far. We tried vinegar, she licked it off. We tried bitter apple, didn't matter. We resorted to putting her pen back up so she can't reach anything.

Second, my husband told her to get up to go potty before bed last night. She was sleepy and not moving, so he started to slide her off the couch. She growled at him! She did the same thing again this morning. He told her no and made her go out anyway.

Do you think it's teenage bad behavior? She is almost 11 months old now. Is she testing us to see what she can get away with? The chewing comes with the territory I guess, but I really don't like the growling.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bad Behavior

Good thing she's cute!

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yes, this sounds like familiar teenage angst to me. I have a 10mos and a 9mos old. The growling has to be addressed ASAP b/c if not, it may get worse. I'm in no way an expert on correcting growling behavior but i've had plenty of practice b/c Finn is a growler. The majority of his growling is addressed at Tate and not me. But in your husband's case, as soon as she starts growling like that , maybe have him say a firm "No growl" and then place her off the couch. This would have to be repeated every time she growled. So let's say she is playing w/a toy and you try taking it from her and she growled at you, then you could say NO GROWL, and take the toy away from her. What I do is i tell Finn to go into his crate whenever he starts growling at Tate. When he's quiet and cools off, he's allowed to come out.
    I'm sure others here will have more and better advice for you but these are some things that have worked somewhat for me.

As far as the kitchen cabinet chewing goes...i don't know what else to tell you or when that behavior will stop. I'm sure you already have lots and lots of chew toys for her.
    Yesterday I came home to find my brand new kitchen rug chewed into two large pieces and then little bits of it all over the floor. I was so mad at myself for leaving it there in the first place...i should've known better and that those two rascals would get their teeth into it!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like some one is becomming dominate. We have the same issues with our girl Banks... you have to show her you are the 'leader' and you need to be consistent. Make her stay on the floor until you know she realizes she is not the boss. When she growls... submit her on her side and do not let her up till you say she can - hold her in place
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

As far as the growling , don't give in, don't let it stop you from getting her to do what you need to do. Great advice about not letting her on the couch if / when she does it. Because you have had her since she was a puppy, I THINK her propensity to bite you is very limited, meaning I doubt she will actually dare do it. Sounds like a typical teenage puppy to me. Now for the chewing, it sounds like she is bored. I would try some new toys/ things to chew on that she only gets while you are gone. Food puzzles work wonders. Maybe don't feed her breakfast or only partial breakfast and then put her food into different puzzles she has to work to get it out of. This should keep her occupied and help stop the chewing.
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

I feel your pain with the chewing. as far as the growling..it's a no growl world in our house! You got great advice from Cali Baker and 2bullymama.. She will catch on..just be firm and consistent!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

You have some great advice above and definitely sounds like a teenage rebellion with the growling. You don't want that to continue. If I have one that growls, I grab them by the side of the neck and hold and tell them "NO" and continue to hold a few seconds, if they are submissive I let go, if they are not or want to struggle I continue to hold or if they get angry I will pin them on their side until they are submissive. Usually all it takes is a quick hold on the neck and that's it. They soon learn you are the boss and will not try it again. She is just testing you. As far as the chewing, as @dozersmama said she is just bored, I would crate her when you are gone. young bullies love to chew.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I can't really add to all the excellent advice you have been given!! Just be firm, consistent and make sure she knows that you are the alpha in the house.

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

I agree with everybody about the growling issue, I still have to put Vegas down until he becomes submissive over his humping issues. Most of all I agree with you on how CUTE she is

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

I have to agree with others, excellent advise on how to deal with both issues.
    Have you seen the "It's me or the dog" episode where Victoria has to tell the family: "It's not Teddy Pom Pom's House!" - As I'm sure you guessed Teddy was the Pom who "ran" the house instead of the other way around. I couldn't help but think of that when I read your post.

Good luck on the growling and keep us posted as to her progress, as I'm sure she'll be over this hump soon.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

@dozersmom and @Davidh hit the nail on the head ! no questions , all great advise from above. AND Be consistent
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the advice everyone! I figured it was just her trying to assert her dominance. Not going to happen! This also just reinforces the fact that we need to get her back into training. We did puppy school in June and then got really busy. It's time! Great idea with the food puzzles. I've wondered how well they work. Sounds like I just found another Christmas present

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads