Bad Behavior

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
We gate Lola in the kitchen while we're at work, have been doing that since August with no problems. Last week she started chewing my kitchen cabinets. In four places so far. We tried vinegar, she licked it off. We tried bitter apple, didn't matter. We resorted to putting her pen back up so she can't reach anything.

Second, my husband told her to get up to go potty before bed last night. She was sleepy and not moving, so he started to slide her off the couch. She growled at him! She did the same thing again this morning. He told her no and made her go out anyway.

Do you think it's teenage bad behavior? She is almost 11 months old now. Is she testing us to see what she can get away with? The chewing comes with the territory I guess, but I really don't like the growling.

OP
korikelly

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Good thing she's cute!

a9882784.jpg

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Yes, this sounds like familiar teenage angst to me. I have a 10mos and a 9mos old. The growling has to be addressed ASAP b/c if not, it may get worse. I'm in no way an expert on correcting growling behavior but i've had plenty of practice b/c Finn is a growler. The majority of his growling is addressed at Tate and not me. But in your husband's case, as soon as she starts growling like that , maybe have him say a firm "No growl" and then place her off the couch. This would have to be repeated every time she growled. So let's say she is playing w/a toy and you try taking it from her and she growled at you, then you could say NO GROWL, and take the toy away from her. What I do is i tell Finn to go into his crate whenever he starts growling at Tate. When he's quiet and cools off, he's allowed to come out.
I'm sure others here will have more and better advice for you but these are some things that have worked somewhat for me.

As far as the kitchen cabinet chewing goes...i don't know what else to tell you or when that behavior will stop. I'm sure you already have lots and lots of chew toys for her.
Yesterday I came home to find my brand new kitchen rug chewed into two large pieces and then little bits of it all over the floor. I was so mad at myself for leaving it there in the first place...i should've known better and that those two rascals would get their teeth into it!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds like some one is becomming dominate. We have the same issues with our girl Banks... you have to show her you are the 'leader' and you need to be consistent. Make her stay on the floor until you know she realizes she is not the boss. When she growls... submit her on her side and do not let her up till you say she can - hold her in place

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
As far as the growling , don't give in, don't let it stop you from getting her to do what you need to do. Great advice about not letting her on the couch if / when she does it. Because you have had her since she was a puppy, I THINK her propensity to bite you is very limited, meaning I doubt she will actually dare do it. Sounds like a typical teenage puppy to me. Now for the chewing, it sounds like she is bored. I would try some new toys/ things to chew on that she only gets while you are gone. Food puzzles work wonders. Maybe don't feed her breakfast or only partial breakfast and then put her food into different puzzles she has to work to get it out of. This should keep her occupied and help stop the chewing.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I feel your pain with the chewing. :bang: as far as the growling..it's a no growl world in our house! You got great advice from Cali Baker and 2bullymama.. She will catch on..just be firm and consistent!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have some great advice above and definitely sounds like a teenage rebellion with the growling. You don't want that to continue. If I have one that growls, I grab them by the side of the neck and hold and tell them "NO" and continue to hold a few seconds, if they are submissive I let go, if they are not or want to struggle I continue to hold or if they get angry I will pin them on their side until they are submissive. Usually all it takes is a quick hold on the neck and that's it. They soon learn you are the boss and will not try it again. She is just testing you. As far as the chewing, as [MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] said she is just bored, I would crate her when you are gone. young bullies love to chew.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I can't really add to all the excellent advice you have been given!! Just be firm, consistent and make sure she knows that you are the alpha in the house.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I agree with everybody about the growling issue, I still have to put Vegas down until he becomes submissive over his humping issues. Most of all I agree with you on how CUTE she is :heart:

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I have to agree with others, excellent advise on how to deal with both issues.
Have you seen the "It's me or the dog" episode where Victoria has to tell the family: "It's not Teddy Pom Pom's House!" - As I'm sure you guessed Teddy was the Pom who "ran" the house instead of the other way around. I couldn't help but think of that when I read your post.

Good luck on the growling and keep us posted as to her progress, as I'm sure she'll be over this hump soon.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=753]dozersmom[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] hit the nail on the head ! no questions , all great advise from above. AND Be consistent

OP
korikelly

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Thanks for the advice everyone! I figured it was just her trying to assert her dominance. Not going to happen! This also just reinforces the fact that we need to get her back into training. We did puppy school in June and then got really busy. It's time! Great idea with the food puzzles. I've wondered how well they work. Sounds like I just found another Christmas present :yes:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Kudos on the good advice; being consistent is so important. The chewing could be because she is bored, but also it could be because the rug, pillow, chair, etc. is there. You can't remove the cabinets but you can remove her from having access to them.
Did you get Lola in Central Point?

OP
korikelly

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Nope, @AliceKable, we started by applying to the NW Bulldog rescue and looked locally for about a year, no luck. We finally got her from a breeder in Lebanon (near Corvallis). They've been very supportive.

FatBulldogz

Dec 4, 2011
Richmond, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
UGA and Bella
Just out of curiosity, how are you going to repair the cabinets? Someone nibbled on 1 corner of ours one time and it drives me crazy! I am already repairing the window sills but just cant figure out how to make the cabinets "new" again.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.