Neuter or not to Neuter! Please help!!

Winstonstudlyboy

Nov 27, 2011
Ogden, UT
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
K so I am thinking about neutering Winston.. It breaks my heart to think about it because I really would love to use him as a stud to make a bunch of puppies. In my opinion he has really good looks and a great build so that doesn't make things any easier. Also he doesn't have a single health problem as far as I know so he would make strong health pups. The main reason I want to neuter him is because of his behavioral issues. He is very aggressive with dog's he does not know. And He also has the occasional accident in other peoples homes because he smells their dogs. What should I do! Please give me your thoughts. I know it would be the best thing for him but I am way selfish and want him to make pups some day!

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
This is a tough decision that you have to make. You will get many do's and dont's. Although Ruckus is not done yet, I feel the benefits from doing it outweigh not doing it especially if your not showing him.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well I always say it's best to neuter them. Winston is a handsome boy, and if you are not going to show him and see if he can become a champion, then he will be better off in the long run being neutered. Just my opinion.

OP
Winstonstudlyboy

Winstonstudlyboy

Nov 27, 2011
Ogden, UT
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Yeah I wish I would have worked on show training earlier. This being my first bully I did not know much about it. Now I am regreting it because I can't even attempt to put him in a ring now because his aggression has got so bad.
I hear neutering also helps prevent other health problems. Is that true?

Casee

May 8, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Taser
How old is he? My Taser is 10 months and I don't have any issues with him not being neutered. I don't believe that neutering prevents all theses health problems!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Here are some health benefits of neutering. Neutering eliminates a dog's chance of developing testicular cancer and reduces his chance of experiencing prostate problems. Additionally, the neutered dog is less likely to develop diabetes or perianal fistulas, chronic ulcerative lesions in the anal area. Hope this helps.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
There is a health risk to neutering and there is a health risk to not neutering. Statistically, they cancel each other out.

Aggression may or may not be solved by neutering. Aggression is best addressed as a training issue instead of a neutering issue. You may opt to neuter to ease the training a bit, but it's not a guarantee that it will.

So... the only thing left is whether you want him to have puppies or not. It's the point of no return when you make the decision to neuter. But, my opinion is that, breeding English Bulldogs are best left to the experts.

If you do decide to not breed him, it is best to neuter unless you can guarantee with 100% certainty that he will not produce unplanned babies in his lifetime.

Hope this helps.

Suzy2

Apr 24, 2011
Accrington Northern England
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter & Winston
I don't beleive in neutering, definately not before maturity unless it's for health reasons. You can try an implant, if your're having aggression issues. Over here in the UK, it's not recommended under 18 months for Bullies, we beleive it hinders maturity, although other breeds can be younger.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Just skipped to the reply so sorry if I repeat or anything. If there are behavioral issues as the wanting to neuter then yes neuter. My opinion only but Cutty has little issues also and before neutering it started getting bad. Now he is much more manageable, still gets crabby but not scary like he was for a small bit.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Having a vet " in the family" I don't think she would scare us into any decision. It's a personal one. We've had many male dogs over the years and some of them were well on in years when we got them. (homeless street doggies) getting them neutered was one of the first things we did. In one case..it probably saved the sweet boy his life. He had an undistended ballzini and had early testicular cancer. Jake was neutered at 10 months. He is developing perfectly fine and EXACTLY the same as his litter mates who have yet to be neutered. In my opinion..leave the puppy breeding to the experts..hopefully the breed can get healthier. But..I know it helps save many dogs lives.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Okay, [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], I'm just going to emphasize some of the points in [MENTION=2352]Casee[/MENTION]'s link:

On the positive side, neutering male dogs​
•​
eliminates the small risk (probably <1%) of dying from testicular cancer
•​
reduces the risk of non-cancerous prostate disorders
•​
reduces the risk of perianal fistulas
•​
may possibly reduce the risk of diabetes (data inconclusive)
On the negative side, neutering male dogs
•​
if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is a common cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis.
•​
increases the risk of cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 1.6
•​
triples the risk of hypothyroidism
•​
increases the risk of progressive geriatric cognitive impairment
•​
triples the risk of obesity, a common health problem in dogs with many associated health problems
•​
quadruples the small risk (<0.6%) of prostate cancer
•​
doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract cancers
•​
increases the risk of orthopedic disorders
increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations

And this is just for the males. Females are more complex and comes with their own set of benefits and problems.

And here's a challenging statement from the study:

One thing is clear – much of the spay/neuter information that is available to the public is unbalanced and contains claims that are exaggerated or unsupported by evidence. Rather than helping to educate pet
owners, much of it has contributed to common misunderstandings about the health risks and benefits associated of spay/neuter in dogs.

<snip>

The balance of long-term health risks and benefits of spay/neuter will vary from one dog to the next. Breed, age, and gender are variables that must be taken into consideration in conjunction with non-medical factors for each individual dog. Across-the-board recommendations for all pet dogs do not appear to be supportable from findings in the veterinary medical literature.​

The study was done in 2007 using veterinary medical literature and cases for specific illnesses.

The conclusion of the study is - there's not enough evidence that favors "neutering/spaying prevents health issues" in the same manner that there's not enough evidence that favors "neutering/spaying causes health issues". Hence, my conclusion that current statistical evidence cancels each other out.

Basically - it's not correct to say neuter/spay your dog to make him/her more healthy if we consider available evidence. The only clear consideration is - a neutered/spayed dog will not produce puppies.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION]..another one we have to "agree to disagree on"..but I REALLY wish I could introduce you to WALTER...a wonderful 4 year old Bully. He lived across the street from my daughter. Walter died at 4..unneutered..from testicular cancer. He Would most certainly be alive today if his "parents" had neutered him. They didn't want to breed him...they just "liked the way he looked". Well...that propelled Walter to an early death. His "parents" wanted to get one of Jakes brothers...but they were turned down. Seems word of Walters demise spread throughout our community. And Jakes' litter..all males..did NOT come with an agreement to neuter...You are free to take a risk..I'm more comfortable in NOT.

:peace:

OP
Winstonstudlyboy

Winstonstudlyboy

Nov 27, 2011
Ogden, UT
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks for all of your help! You guys know so much about this breed it is amazing. Thank you! I am on the fence with the decision right now! You are all very helpful! I will keep you updated on what I do. Either way I am sure I will be waiting till after Christmas if I do get him clipped.

Teresa

Oct 30, 2010
So. Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Frederick (Fred)
Well I always say it's best to neuter them. Winston is a handsome boy, and if you are not going to show him and see if he can become a champion, then he will be better off in the long run being neutered. Just my opinion.

I totally agree ,Fred's dad is Cherokee Legend Rock look it up (BIG famous show dog ) and i could not find a good breeder for one of his pup's so i had him neuterd.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online