Bully habits?

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
The more I talk to bully owners, read posts and experience it with my own bullies. There are a lot of common habits that are unusual for dogs.

I would like to see who else has noticed these things.

1. sucking on a stuffed animal to go to sleep. We call it their pacifier. We have to check before we go to bed that they are in the room. They will also "noodle" them with their paws.:bully:

2. Scratching at the door to get out. I have had to put up plexi-glass to save the wood. Every bully I have had refuses to bark, they always scratch.

3.having to touch you while sleeping. I don't care how many times I move during the night. The pups move right along, as long as they are tucked up against me and somehow touching me, they are content.

Other dogs I have had in my life have never done these things... are they only bulldog traits?

I thought maybe there are due to the fact some moms are not as attentive to their puppies as other breeds.:bully:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
1. Samson only sucked on his toy when he was young. He is a compulsive chewer though.

2. He doesn't scratch the door to go out.

3. Yes, always needs to be touching me while we sleep. He sleeps in bed with me, leaning against my legs. If I roll away from him he scoots over so he can be against my legs again.

So my bully question, does your bully do what we refer to as "the paw"? Sam will paw at me beggin for attention, if he is close enough to me he will like tap me with his paw or if I am on the other side of the room he will lift his paw like he is waving. He does that to the vet techs/assistants/vets at the vet office when they are walking up to him and it always puts a smile on their face. If I am on the computer, giving the computer my attention and not him he will do the paw but curl it up and try to pull my arm off the computer closer to him.

Oh and "piggy run", well thats what we call it. He does these sprints like once or twice a day when he's excited. He gets real low to the ground and sprints from one side of the room to the other back and forth. Sometimes totally running into the wall, doesn't phase him though LOL. Anyone elses bully do this? It's weird because he hunkers down real low during these sprints, never seen another dog do it.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
It's weird because he hunkers down real low during these sprints, never seen another dog do it.

Wow....I'd love to see video of this....(hint, hint)
Orion is a sucker. Check out the "stinky bear" video under Bullytube. Vegas is also a sucker.
Vegas scratches at the door to go out, Orion barks. Choch (my previous pup) would also scratch to go out. Orion is the only one that barks.
Vegas is a cuddle bug. He usually can cuddle me right off the side of the bed.

Neither of my dogs do the piggy run, but Orion often sounds like one. And the pawing thing? Vegas takes it too far. One time I pushed his paw away from me because he was flexing his nails into my arm and I was starting to bruise. Know what the brat did? He very gently grabbed the back of my arm with his teeth and bit down. It doesn't matter how much pressure is applied...THAT HURTS!

Last edited:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Wow....I'd love to see video of this....(hint, hint)
Orion is a sucker. Check out the "stinky bear" video under Bullytube. Vegas is also a sucker.
Vegas scratches at the door to go out, Orion barks. Choch (my previous pup) would also scratch to go out. Orion is the only one that barks.
Vegas is a cuddle bug. He usually can cuddle me right off the side of the bed.

Neither of my dogs do the piggy run, but Orion often sounds like one. And the pawing thing? Vegas takes it too far. One time I pushed his paw away from me because he was flexing his nails into my arm and I was starting to bruise. Know what the brat did? I very gently grabbed the back of my arm with his teeth and bit down. It doesn't matter how much pressure is applied...THAT HURTS!

I have seriously been trying to catch a video but its a random thing and it never lasts long, just a few laps. I can never get my camera in time. I will try harder, might have to carry my camera around in my pocket more LOL

Vegas REALLY wanted some attention huh?! LOL It does hurt when he does it sometimes because it scratches me and he is strong!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Cutty does the piigy run or we call zoomies. Not so much these days I guess since he isnt such a teenager but every once in a while he will get the urge. lol. Has to be touching when we sleep, along with Mugs too actually so cute! Dosnt suck on toys at all or scratch at the door but DOES the paw thing like crazy and yes it can hurt sometimes if he really wants your attention. lol.

OP
B

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
yes, I forgot about the paw thing. Both of my bullies do that and the Piggy scoot only Bella does. It is when she is so excited she runs fast and her little hind end drags. I know somewhere my son has it on video. Abby also scoot a ball around the yard with her nose. She runs like crazy, we say she is playing soccer.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Boy, I WISH Gertie went and scratched at the door! She's only 10 1/2 weeks old, so we're housebreaking. So far the closest she comes is going and sitting in front of the back door. (And if you don't notice her right away, she'll gladly go on the floor right there). She doesn't sleep with me, still sleeping in her crate. But I have a friend who owns a miniature dachshund and a miniature rat terrier, both sleep with her. She complains constantly that they both run her off the bed every night. And we had a Yorkie that did this years ago. So maybe that's not a bulldog only thing.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
the two things I see bullies do that I don't see other dogs do is sit "side saddle" and stick their tounge out while sleeping.

Yuna paws, if you pet her, touch her, clean her face, give her a bath, ect. Like she is petting you back. It is so cute:)

Kikiwhoa21

Jun 16, 2010
Wonderland, Texas!
Bulldog(s) Names
Chev Chelios && Faith
Oh I LOVE when they sit 'side saddle'. It makes me laugh.. :).
Both Chelios && Faith do the paw. Drives me crazy sometime lol. I'll be sitting watching tv && Chelios will come with his toy && do the paw thing to pay attenton to him. Bullys just LOVE the attention! lol They dont do the sucking on toys, but they're chewers && destroy ALL toys! Lol! Chelios does the 'piggy zombie run' too! but we dont have a name for it, we just call him crazy! :p He just randomly speraticly runs around the house crouched down. Its too funny! Faith doesnt do it, but I think cuz she's still a baby. Her personality is growing! :)) And the whole sleeping thing, where they need to feel you.. Oh my goodness all of them do it! Chelios, Faith, && the kitty Sophia! Lol! Chelios Sleeps at my feet, cuz he uses my feet as a pillow. lol Sophie sleeps by my legs && Faith well she's a wild child, she sleeps by my head or on my neck with her face on my fce breathing hard. lol!

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Bear does the "piggy run", he zooms around tables, behind furniture and does it a couple times a day. He is definitely on a schedule. He is a chewer but I guess thats normal for an almost 6 months old puppy. Oh and he will run full force into the wall or furniture and keep going, doesn't phase him either.

He snuggles in bed, he can't stand not being on my husband and I have to peel him off and hold him like a baby, he tends to fall asleep immediately or so it seems. I love when he lays his head on my neck.

He "digs" at me like he does blankets before he lays down. He will get at my thigh or chest and just move them paws so fast and ouch for me.

Another silly habit is what looks to me like a lion pounce, he gets his front down real low butt up in the air and he literally leaps over stuff or over our other dog (a 12 yr old beagle) this happens about once a day.

He doesn't do stuffed animals because we've never tried, in our experiences with our other dogs, they just ended up being tore up. He does have a teething bone he likes.

Another thing he does is he will carry an empty water bowl around in his mouth until i get him his water.

He does side saddle but mostly does the belly lay with the frog legs.

Its amazing to me how different English Bulldogs are than other breeds, they are like more human or something.

Last edited:

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester definitely sucks on his toy. But he sleeps in a crate at night, and during the day, he'll lay on the ground but doesn't want anything to do with laying next to you on the couch. He doesn't scratch at the door - he'll just pee on my floor :eek: Chester also sits "side saddle" all the time too, in addition to sticking his tongue out. What he will do, when he wants you to play "tug of war" with his toy.. he will put it in his mouth, then keep flopping the thing in your lap until you grab onto one end and pull on it for him so he can pull the other!

Speedbeegle

May 26, 2010
Western NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Tobias K. Smith
Toby doesn't do the sucking on anything, but he does the side saddle sit and the frog legs, definately has to be close at night when sleeping, he want to touch you but not you keep a hand on him or hug him. Pawing the door is a trait he has to get out and back in, more the back in, he goes to the door and if it's urgent he comes and gets your attention and then goes to the door and scratches it. But to come back in we call it his knock. (I live in a rural area and I am able to allow him to come and go.) And he can get persistant if you aren't there to let him back in, in what he considers a timely manner. And Toby does the pawing if he wants your attention and that is rough on everyone especially my mom who is on a blood thinner, have tried to break that habit with little success. One habit I love is when Toby is trying to get his nonEB brother to play he takes and gets the toy of the moment in his mouth and does this low back of the throat growl... sounds vicious.... and then he has a pounce motion with one paw reaching higher, this is often how a game of chase is initiated. The nonEB way of initiating a game is come and get love and I ask him if it's real loving or if he is teasing to get Toby started on a game. Too fun with all the habits.

SonoftheSea

Jul 28, 2010
The Netherlands
Bulldog(s) Names
Bono, Son of the Sea
Bono doesn't suck on anything.
He sits "side saddle" and stick his tounge out while sleeping
He also snores while he's sleeping.
He often sleeps with his head between his paws.

100_5998.jpg

Bono never scratches the door when he wants inside. He just bounce with his whole body against the door. ;)
100_6339-1.jpg

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh yes Cutty sleeps with his head burried in his paws when he is cold, so cute. I always know when to throw a blanket on him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.