Spent last night in the ER with.....

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I do not know if a lesion is like a growth plate. !! ask the vet . but my mastiffs had a lot of issues with the growth plates and had to have a lower protein food and some were splinted for a couple weeks .
poor baby. hugs ~~~

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Libra, so sorry to hear about your torrid evening. Ask your vet about Panosteitis. Many of her symptoms and the x-rays sound like this, so I would be certain to mention this to the vet. Here is a link: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1561&aid=466 that discusses the self-limiting condition, the way it manifests itself in younger dogs, and how to identify it on x rays.

Please keep us updated!

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Ok, yikes. I read several google searches on the disease, and I will ask about it when I go and sign for the paperwork. Also I came across this.....The prescription medication that Vets often prescribe for Pano is Rimadyl. This is a terrible drug and it kills many dogs. DO NOT GIVE YOUR DOG RIMADYL!!!

Keep in mind that this problem does go away.

The ER vet gave her Rimadyl. Has anyone else been told this?

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I was just going to say the same thing--and it can make bullys very bitchy too.
although Deramaxx is much better and not hardly any side effects,other than a rare tummy bleed(which you will notice right away . (and never give this to labs) they are very susceptible to it ,and can die. it is a breed thing. all meds have side effects.
I did read this article and it is good. it points out my theory on quality protiens!

Every protein source contains different levels of amino acids and each protein is different in its ability to be broken down into amino acids. So not all proteins are created equal. Some are better for pets than others. The ability of a protein to be used by the body and its amount of usable amino acids is summarized as protein quality (biological value). Egg has the highest biological value and sets the standard for which other proteins are judged. Egg has a biological value of 100. Fish meal and milk are close behind with a value of 92. Beef is around 78 and soybean meal is 67. Meat and bone meal and wheat are around 50 and corn is 45. Things like hair and feathers would be very high in protein but would be down at the bottom of the list for biological value. The actual composition of individual proteins as well as the utilization of amino acids is very detailed and beyond the scope of this article, but in summary, we see that all proteins are not created equal.
I like to use eggs for meat in dog food because it is easily measured, a 50 pound dog needs 2 eggs twice a day, thats it ---
but also the Fromm family foods use only muscle meat.--this is prime cut meat, not just human grade meat,-there is a vast difference. some humans eat almost anything up to and including intestines!!!
AND REMEMBER - all but a very few dog foods get their meat from RENDERING PLANTS----and all that is is by products that CANNOT be sold to humans......

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
We didn't get a pano diagnosis (yet) but there are anti-inflammatory alternatives to Rimadyl. We got Metacam, for example, which worked well. That said, both Linus and Bentley have been on Rimadyl. Like any other medication you have to watch your dog when you give it to them for potential side effects (involving the liver with Rimadyl) but, it is my understanding, in many cases that it is effectively used to control inflammation due to panosteitis or arthritis.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I asked the Dr, and he said it's definately not Pano...he said it looks different on xrays AND the symptoms are different. I'm glad you told me about this......also, he thinks the lesion on the bone could possibly be from an old injury!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
It wasn't like that before. I sucked at photography in highschool! Recently, I just started looking at an object. Any object. It could be a chair or a cigar box or a bolt on a fence. "How can I make someone see this....someone who wouldn't look at it otherwise?" I never took any photos of my dalmatian.....except a goodbye photo. I took occasional snap shots, but I only got one that hits the emotional button. Choctaw "Chochy" passed away 3 weeks before we found Vegas. So, my facination with "painting with light" started in 2006. I enrolled in some night classes to learn the function of the buttons........an now? I still only get a few good working photos out of every 100 I take. Most of the ones I took of the babies were overexposed. I'm horrible with light....but I love it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Buddy and Choch were our first kids. When I got married in 97, we already had our family. Buddy passed away in April 07 from cancer. Choch would cuddle with him, knowing he was sick. Sadly, Choch himself would pass away in September of 07 from cancer. Buddy was 15 and Choch was 12 1/2.

Love the pics! You are very talented indeed! I DO love dalmations also. My mom had 2 and they were so smart!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.