New puppy?

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
So I am thinking getting Tipsy a little brother. Anyone got suggestions / experience introducing a new puppy?

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
my poor girls just have to deal with me bringing a new little one home.....I haven't had any issues at all and they are all females. I even bring in a foster every once in a while and all is good. Bella is a little more possesive over me, but she will also listen to me if she gets too bad.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] ..has experience with this! Others too..but my brains not clearing that info! We DID bring Jake home at 8 weeks to a 3 year old. We introduced them on neutral ground the first time...and because he came from a neighbor down the road...we actually brought him home twice for about an hour each time before he officially moved in! Went fine..no problems at all!

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I got Nigel first at 8 weeks old and Karly is one month younger than him...they get along great but sometimes they rough house and mom has to reign them in a bit cause Nigel is a bit larger but Karly is a little rougher lol i think it's true bullies are contagious...you can't have just one! can't wait to see pics of your new baby!

ozbull

Nov 19, 2011
Western Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter & Honey Rose
Before we bought Honey home, we rubbed her scent all over a towel and left it in his favorite spot to find. That way, Dexter got used to the smell/scent of her for a few days before we introduced her to him.

We also had a child gate up so they could smell each other through the gate without any danger (just in case).

We where lucky. They were great mates from day 1. :hug:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hi there and :welcome: to EBN. We have an old dog who's 13 when we got Wilson back in April. All we did was watch him with Wilson but we took him outside on the grass to introduce the two. He sniffed a bit but otherwise was fine. He was very accepting of Wilson. But three weeks later we rescued Jack our Pit. Jack was 4 months old when we brought him home. We simply did the same thing and for the most part all is fine. Our old dog is not as tolerant of Jack though as he sees him as more of a threat to him. Jack's quite active. Ace has bite him a few times and luckily Jack is quite submissive. It's never been a bad bit by no mean but he has left marks on him. Ace still goes after him when the boys are playing. I think it's more that Ace our old guy is just old, can't see as well as he used too and is in chronic pain. Oh yeah, Ace always is first, being it food or otherwise.

Overall, everyone gets along just peachy! :up:

Now my husband got Ace and Orion (he's passed now) when our other old guy Nitro (who's passed too) was 10. They were puppies too so all was ok and he also introduced them out in the front yard. Ace quickly became the dominant dog and still is.

How old is Tipsy? What a great picture of you two too! :)

Edit: I wanted to add that Ace just LOVES Wilson and has from day one.

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
So I am thinking getting Tipsy a little brother. Anyone got suggestions / experience introducing a new puppy?

There's tons of wisdom out there on setting up the perfect meeting...and folks will have fantastic ideas here, as always. I read everything I could find before the big day to prepare myself, but I think the single most important thing is something I still do everyday; NEVER favor one over the other in anyway in action or even in THOUGHT. (no kidding) A pack leader is ALWAYS FAIR. Humans are the only species that will follow an unstable or unfair pack leader.

Good luck with your search! The best thing I ever did was get Bo. Bea and Bo have a BLAST with each other and it's not without some rivalry of course. That's how dogs are!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have found to let them meet on nuetral ground, like your backyard, let them sniff and get used to each other then bring them in the house. Usually bigger dogs will tolerate pups to a point, just monitor their behavior and when they get a little testy or to rough, just step in and stop it. Just watch them when they play because the big dogs may play a little too rough for the pup. You should be fine if they both know you are the pack leader. You have some good advice above too and as [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] said be fair and show everyone the same attention. Looking forward to the pics of the new pup.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
If you are getting a puppy then it should be fine. Cutty just licked poor little Mugsy to pieces when we brought him home as a baby. He was soaked for the first couple days I think. lol. How old is Tipsy again? Good to see you on here by the way. ;)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I did not prepare well when I picked up Finn and brought him home to Tate this past summer. I think i was just naive about it and didn't think much about it til after the fact. Fortunately, the initial meeting went well. I simply just brought Finn home one day and there he was, face to face with Tate. Tate is overly friendly and bouncy so he just smothered Finn with kisses and sniffs, so much so that little Finn hid in the corner or under a table those first few days. Eventually though, Finn got used to his new brother, and vice versa, and turns out that Finn is the more dominant personality of the two.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Neutral ground meeting is a must... but since you are bringing home a puppy to an adult - it tends to be accepting. Just be sure to do the initial intro on neutral ground

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online