Dog is skinny

lilcrate

Nov 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Hello all,

I am new here. I just bought a "Victorian" Bulldog that is 1 year 3 months old. I put Victorian in quotes because after much research I question that she is true Victorian. Anyways, she is very skinny. I can see ribs and spine. They said that they switched her from puppy to regular dog food and she lost some weight. They were using Diamond dog food. I did not see any worms in her stool but am going to take her to a vet to have her looked at anyway. They said she is up to date and healthy. She acts healthy.

A. How much should I feed her, she is probably about 45 lbs?

B. What type of food do you all recommend for her?

C. Would it be possible to try and rename her or should I keep her current name?

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Hello all,

I am new here. I just bought a "Victorian" Bulldog that is 1 year 3 months old. I put Victorian in quotes because after much research I question that she is true Victorian. Anyways, she is very skinny. I can see ribs and spine. They said that they switched her from puppy to regular dog food and she lost some weight. They were using Diamond dog food. I did not see any worms in her stool but am going to take her to a vet to have her looked at anyway. They said she is up to date and healthy. She acts healthy.

A. How much should I feed her, she is probably about 45 lbs?

B. What type of food do you all recommend for her?

C. Would it be possible to try and rename her or should I keep her current name?

Okay, here are the questions I have for you. What are her stools like? "fluffy" "yellowish or greyish" "softer"

How is she eating? Like she is starving? Like normal?

What is her energy level? Very active or Lethargic?

My bullie has a congential issue and she lost a lot of weight, had soft large frequent poos.....Major problem, please go to www.epi4dogs.com

OP
L

lilcrate

Nov 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
They are softer average size, medium to light brown. She goes about 2 -3 times a day. When I feed her it is like she has never eaten in her life. She demolishes the food and looks for more. I don't want to jump right in to feeding her more than what they were, I am slowly upping. I am up to 1.5 cups AM and 1.5 cups PM. Her energy is average to lethargic. She will lay down and sleep unless I get up and walk around or so anything to peak her interest, then she is up and at em.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
They are softer average size, medium to light brown. She goes about 2 -3 times a day. When I feed her it is like she has never eaten in her life. She demolishes the food and looks for more. I don't want to jump right in to feeding her more than what they were, I am slowly upping. I am up to 1.5 cups AM and 1.5 cups PM. Her energy is average to lethargic. She will lay down and sleep unless I get up and walk around or so anything to peak her interest, then she is up and at em.

Please please go to the site, call your vet in the morning and have a TAMU blood panel done!!! She has all the signs of Exocrine Pancreatic Insuffincency. It is not curable, but is treatable. My heart is racing right now. I really feel this is it. Please do this.

Where are you located? If it gets to be too much, please let me know.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Hello Lilcrate and WELCOME to EBN! :D You have definetly found the right place for questions like you have. That being said, it's hard to diagose anything without seeing it yourself. Can you post a picture or two of your new family member?

Congrats are also in order, [MENTION=3804]lilcrate[/MENTION] on getting a new family member. I'm not sure what a Victorian bulldog is but someone here will know! A photograph would really be helpful though if you have one. I'd go ahead and name her something new. She'll catch on quickly enough!

OP
L

lilcrate

Nov 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Just checked the site:

The most common symptoms are:
  • Gradual wasting away despite a voracious appetite YES
  • Eliminating much more frequently, sometimes every hour or two - MAYBE
  • Stools are greasy voluminous yellowish cow-plops, but sometimes grayish - DONT THINK SO, BUT BETTER CHECK MORE OFTEN
  • Eating their own stools, or other inappropriate substances - DONT THINK SO
  • Increased rumbling sounds from the abdomen - I THINK SO, I HAVE BEEN HEARING SOMETHING, COULDN'T TELL IF IT IS GRUNTING OR RUMBLING
  • Increased passing amounts of flatulence - YES
  • Some dogs do not show any typical signs
  • Some experience intermittent watery diarrhea or vomiting - NOT YET

OP
L

lilcrate

Nov 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Please please go to the site, call your vet in the morning and have a TAMU blood panel done!!! She has all the signs of Exocrine Pancreatic Insuffincency. It is not curable, but is treatable. My heart is racing right now. I really feel this is it. Please do this.

Where are you located? If it gets to be too much, please let me know.

Now you have me really worried. I am in St. Louis.

OP
L

lilcrate

Nov 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Hello Lilcrate and WELCOME to EBN! :D You have definetly found the right place for questions like you have. That being said, it's hard to diagose anything without seeing it yourself. Can you post a picture or two of your new family member?

Congrats are also in order, @lilcrate on getting a new family member. I'm not sure what a Victorian bulldog is but someone here will know! A photograph would really be helpful though if you have one. I'd go ahead and name her something new. She'll catch on quickly enough!

I am at work now, but will be able to get pics up tonight.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella only had the first 3. I know another pup who only had the weight loss. I pray she doesn't have it, but if she does, I am here for you.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Now you have me really worried. I am in St. Louis.

Don't worry, it is treatable. Bella had it from birth and we didn't have an exact diagnosis until 6 months, she was still only 8 lbs and skin and bones.
Just the sooner you figure it out the better. you will need to get her on digestive enzymes, grainfree food and NO treats.

OP
L

lilcrate

Nov 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Don't worry, it is treatable. Bella had it from birth and we didn't have an exact diagnosis until 6 months, she was still only 8 lbs and skin and bones.
Just the sooner you figure it out the better. you will need to get her on digestive enzymes, grainfree food and NO treats.

Good. I could live with a special dog, just would hate to see something happen to her.

I just got an appointment set up for tomorrow at 4. I will update.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Good. I could live with a special dog, just would hate to see something happen to her.

I just got an appointment set up for tomorrow at 4. I will update.

I guess that is why I sort of went into a little bit of "panic" mode. A lot of people don't want to deal with it and put the dog down, there are so stories of the owners just letting the dogs starve to death, so sad. I am sooo glad to know you are willing to get her through any problem she has, It is so worth it in the end.

Keep me posted. I have loads of info it you need it.

By the way, Welcome and can't wait to see photos. What name are you going to use?

OP
L

lilcrate

Nov 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Do you think it's okay to change her name? I have no idea. Open to suggestions. I have been searching and thinking, but nothing jumps out at me.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you think it's okay to change her name? I have no idea. Open to suggestions. I have been searching and thinking, but nothing jumps out at me.

I always like girlie names for bullies, like Lilly, Emma, Lucy etc... I just love danty names for such a big breed girls. Go with your gut and what fits. My girls are all named for girl names that I loved. I only had human boys, so never had the luck of using some of my favs

Rescues change names all the time. It will be fine

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to the site.... would love to see some pics of your new baby!

Name change --- fine, she will adjust without issue

Food recommendations -- go to home page there is a link for dog food rating and recommendations for bulldogs

Feedings -- you can always give her three meals a day at 1 cup per meal, but if you are not home to do that.... the 1.5 c 2x is a good start. when you are at the vet tomorrow ask about it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.