Dog is skinny

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,
Welcome. Don't panic. Many people here have experience with many different issues. Read everyones opinions, but carefully decide before you make any decisions. Work with your vet or someone in your area that can be hands on as part of this.
You said she was about 45 pounds. This is just shy of the normal lower range, but depending on how TALL and her body size it is hard to tell just from the weight number. The phsyical descriptions you give are more telling.
Different dog food produce different color. But it is the texture to look at. A stool sample can be quickly processed at the vet or sent out and results in 1 day.
Compare the nutrient analysis of the dog foods and again work with your vet on a program and plan. It is much easier to get weight ON a dog than get it off.

Don't panic, be educated.
Good Day~

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Welcome to EBN and I agree this place is a wealth of information... Please keep us updated we are here to help you....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes get the fecal test, did you give a sample already? It could be a parasite or giardia too. Hope it is just weight loss but best to cover the poo and make certain, cute bully!

OP
L

lilcrate

Nov 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Hello,
Welcome. Don't panic. Many people here have experience with many different issues. Read everyones opinions, but carefully decide before you make any decisions. Work with your vet or someone in your area that can be hands on as part of this.
You said she was about 45 pounds. This is just shy of the normal lower range, but depending on how TALL and her body size it is hard to tell just from the weight number. The phsyical descriptions you give are more telling.
Different dog food produce different color. But it is the texture to look at. A stool sample can be quickly processed at the vet or sent out and results in 1 day.
Compare the nutrient analysis of the dog foods and again work with your vet on a program and plan. It is much easier to get weight ON a dog than get it off.

Don't panic, be educated.
Good Day~
The family told me she was 45 lbs. After visiting the vet she turned out to be 36 lbs. Thanks for your help.

Yes get the fecal test, did you give a sample already? It could be a parasite or giardia too. Hope it is just weight loss but best to cover the poo and make certain, cute bully!
Thanks, I did get a sample. I am dropping it off at the vet tomorrow morning.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I have no idea. Does that mean problems with her knees from now on? I don't have any experiance with it. Personally I would get her back on track weight wise. If she is lacking in nutrients etc...that will affect her entire body and immune system. See how she is once she is back on track, unless something happens or she is in pain with it.

OP
L

lilcrate

Nov 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Well she tested positive for Whip Worms. 3 days of meds and she should start getting better. Have to take a stool sample in 3 weeks to see if she completely defeated them. Glad it was nothing too serious and that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well she tested positive for Whip Worms. 3 days of meds and she should start getting better. Have to take a stool sample in 3 weeks to see if she completely defeated them. Glad it was nothing too serious and that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Good to hear you have her diagnosed and treatment started -- Good luck and keep us posted

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh well im glad you took her in and got a diagnosis. let us know how she is doing.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hello and welcome ... she sure has the most beautiful colouring!! How is she doing???

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
They will probably need to be treated at least once more, maybe twice, to rid of them completely. Have the fecals done two more times to be certain. :).

OP
L

lilcrate

Nov 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Hello and welcome ... she sure has the most beautiful colouring!! How is she doing???
Thank you very much, so far so good. After 2 doses of medicine she seems to be a lot more energetic. It could be placebo, but we will see.

They will probably need to be treated at least once more, maybe twice, to rid of them completely. Have the fecals done two more times to be certain. :).
Yeah that is what I have been reading. That is my plan. Thanks.

How is she doing and does she have a name?
Her name is still Mya, I cannot think of anything else I really like. She is doing good so far.

OH GOOD!! Hope she is back on track in no time.
Me too, thanks for your help through this.

Members online

No members online now.