Dog is skinny

OP
L

lilcrate

Nov 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
She is hard to get to sit still, but this shows her body ok.

DSC_0800.jpg

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
She has the sweetest face. Don't worry, the answers will come soon and she will be back to a healthy pudgy squishy face soon. She is lucky to find you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh she has such a precious face..... hope you get some answers at the vet tomorrow and get her on the road to good health.

Thank you for saving her and best of luck. we are here to support you

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh how adorable. yes let us know what the vet says. dont worry a name will come. sarah was a year old and we changed her name. she didnt really know her old name so it wasnt to hard.

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
Oh my goodness! She has a lot of the same markings as my Baby girl Roxi! Such a
sweet face. She does seem skinny. Roxi is 17 months old and at her last vet visit she
was 42 lbs. Everybody always comments that she is a little bulldog but 42-45 is about perfect weight for my bully and every bully has their
Best weight based on their age and activity level.

Anxious to hear what the vet says!
She is such a cutie pie! I think she looks like a Stella! :)

Last edited:
OP
L

lilcrate

Nov 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Thanks for all the good words and encouragement everyone. I thought she was adorable too, but good to hear other people do as well.

OP
L

lilcrate

Nov 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Well the vet seems to think she was probably just being under fed. He wants me to get her on some decent food and up her food intake a little, then see what she weighs in 2 weeks. He did give me a package baggy to put her stool sample in to check for worms. She was 36 lbs. He said her knee caps were out of socket as well.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..I'm going to hope the vet is correct. But keep the other possibilities in your mind. [MENTION=3331][MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] will help you and we will follow your updates. She is a precious baby..so lucky to have you.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well the vet seems to think she was probably just being under fed. He wants me to get her on some decent food and up her food intake a little, then see what she weighs in 2 weeks. He did give me a package baggy to put her stool sample in to check for worms. She was 36 lbs. He said her knee caps were out of socket as well.

Good luck with her and keep us posted

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Little and feisty is how my little one is. Orion is 2 and 1/2 and weighs 32 pounds. Some will say she is too skinny...but the vet says she's perfect. We feed Nature's Logic..but we are changing to a grain free food next month. Here is a photo of her...

A general rule of thumb when determining if your pup is too thin, just right or chubby........hold out your hand and make a fist. Going across the knuckles...if the ribs resemble your knuckles, too thin. Move toward your wrist about an inch to 1.5 inches. Run your finger over the bones. If your dogs ribs feel like that..perfect. Now move down further to your wrist. If you cant feel any part of the ribs...too fat.

Although Orion looks too skinny in this next photo...you are seeing her waist line, no ribs. I do believe Orion likes to 'suck it in' when I pull out the camera. In this photo...she is stretched out. I promise you..the last thing I would ever do is let one of my babies starve or hurt.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Make sure you get her on a good food. Check out the food ratings here in EBN. Vets do not get nutritional courses in school, they depend on the sales person walking in their front door. Research deeply, the right food will be a blessing.

I hope she is fine. I just feel that 3 cups a day would be enough. My 10yr, Abby gets 2 cups a day and she is by far a skinny mini. Bella get 2 1/2, but we give her a little extra due to her not digesting completely. Keep us informed.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN. I didn't comment earlier as I didn't want to interfere with the advice you were getting. Thanx for joining. As you see, there is a wealth of info here. Diet is very very important to bullies so please check the food rating here on EBN as it was put together just for bullies. Make sure you switch to the new food slowly. If you don't know how to do that, ask in a new thread and I'll explain it. Your 'baby' has the sweetest face and I hope you post more pix of her.

OP
L

lilcrate

Nov 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Little and feisty is how my little one is. Orion is 2 and 1/2 and weighs 32 pounds. Some will say she is too skinny...but the vet says she's perfect. We feed Nature's Logic..but we are changing to a grain free food next month. Here is a photo of her...

A general rule of thumb when determining if your pup is too thin, just right or chubby........hold out your hand and make a fist. Going across the knuckles...if the ribs resemble your knuckles, too thin. Move toward your wrist about an inch to 1.5 inches. Run your finger over the bones. If your dogs ribs feel like that..perfect. Now move down further to your wrist. If you cant feel any part of the ribs...too fat.

Although Orion looks too skinny in this next photo...you are seeing her waist line, no ribs. I do believe Orion likes to 'suck it in' when I pull out the camera. In this photo...she is stretched out. I promise you..the last thing I would ever do is let one of my babies starve or hurt.

Thanks for the info. I think your dog looks much more proportionate than mine. She is just a smaller dog. I will do what you said and see what I get.

Thanks everyone!

Members online

No members online now.