Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dog is skinny

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dog is skinny

Well..I'm going to hope the vet is correct. But keep the other possibilities in your mind. @Bella'sMom will help you and we will follow your updates. She is a precious baby..so lucky to have you.
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 11-30-2011 at 11:01 PM.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lilcrate View Post
    Well the vet seems to think she was probably just being under fed. He wants me to get her on some decent food and up her food intake a little, then see what she weighs in 2 weeks. He did give me a package baggy to put her stool sample in to check for worms. She was 36 lbs. He said her knee caps were out of socket as well.
    Good luck with her and keep us posted
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Little and feisty is how my little one is. Orion is 2 and 1/2 and weighs 32 pounds. Some will say she is too skinny...but the vet says she's perfect. We feed Nature's Logic..but we are changing to a grain free food next month. Here is a photo of her...

A general rule of thumb when determining if your pup is too thin, just right or chubby........hold out your hand and make a fist. Going across the knuckles...if the ribs resemble your knuckles, too thin. Move toward your wrist about an inch to 1.5 inches. Run your finger over the bones. If your dogs ribs feel like that..perfect. Now move down further to your wrist. If you cant feel any part of the ribs...too fat.

Although Orion looks too skinny in this next photo...you are seeing her waist line, no ribs. I do believe Orion likes to 'suck it in' when I pull out the camera. In this photo...she is stretched out. I promise you..the last thing I would ever do is let one of my babies starve or hurt.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Make sure you get her on a good food. Check out the food ratings here in EBN. Vets do not get nutritional courses in school, they depend on the sales person walking in their front door. Research deeply, the right food will be a blessing.

I hope she is fine. I just feel that 3 cups a day would be enough. My 10yr, Abby gets 2 cups a day and she is by far a skinny mini. Bella get 2 1/2, but we give her a little extra due to her not digesting completely. Keep us informed.

Always with me

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

to EBN. I didn't comment earlier as I didn't want to interfere with the advice you were getting. Thanx for joining. As you see, there is a wealth of info here. Diet is very very important to bullies so please check the food rating here on EBN as it was put together just for bullies. Make sure you switch to the new food slowly. If you don't know how to do that, ask in a new thread and I'll explain it. Your 'baby' has the sweetest face and I hope you post more pix of her.

Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Libra926 View Post
    Little and feisty is how my little one is. Orion is 2 and 1/2 and weighs 32 pounds. Some will say she is too skinny...but the vet says she's perfect. We feed Nature's Logic..but we are changing to a grain free food next month. Here is a photo of her...

A general rule of thumb when determining if your pup is too thin, just right or chubby........hold out your hand and make a fist. Going across the knuckles...if the ribs resemble your knuckles, too thin. Move toward your wrist about an inch to 1.5 inches. Run your finger over the bones. If your dogs ribs feel like that..perfect. Now move down further to your wrist. If you cant feel any part of the ribs...too fat.

Although Orion looks too skinny in this next photo...you are seeing her waist line, no ribs. I do believe Orion likes to 'suck it in' when I pull out the camera. In this photo...she is stretched out. I promise you..the last thing I would ever do is let one of my babies starve or hurt.

Thanks for the info. I think your dog looks much more proportionate than mine. She is just a smaller dog. I will do what you said and see what I get.

Thanks everyone!

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hello,
    Welcome. Don't panic. Many people here have experience with many different issues. Read everyones opinions, but carefully decide before you make any decisions. Work with your vet or someone in your area that can be hands on as part of this.
    You said she was about 45 pounds. This is just shy of the normal lower range, but depending on how TALL and her body size it is hard to tell just from the weight number. The phsyical descriptions you give are more telling.
    Different dog food produce different color. But it is the texture to look at. A stool sample can be quickly processed at the vet or sent out and results in 1 day.
    Compare the nutrient analysis of the dog foods and again work with your vet on a program and plan. It is much easier to get weight ON a dog than get it off.

Don't panic, be educated.
    Good Day~
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to EBN and I agree this place is a wealth of information... Please keep us updated we are here to help you....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    I them so much!!!! My life has changed so much since 7/2011
    Colonel 5 yrs old (2011 - Current) -- Ella May 3 yrs old (2012 - Current)
    RIP~ Bebe (2011-2014) 9 yrs old

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yes get the fecal test, did you give a sample already? It could be a parasite or giardia too. Hope it is just weight loss but best to cover the poo and make certain, cute bully!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ABEBD View Post
    Hello,
    Welcome. Don't panic. Many people here have experience with many different issues. Read everyones opinions, but carefully decide before you make any decisions. Work with your vet or someone in your area that can be hands on as part of this.
    You said she was about 45 pounds. This is just shy of the normal lower range, but depending on how TALL and her body size it is hard to tell just from the weight number. The phsyical descriptions you give are more telling.
    Different dog food produce different color. But it is the texture to look at. A stool sample can be quickly processed at the vet or sent out and results in 1 day.
    Compare the nutrient analysis of the dog foods and again work with your vet on a program and plan. It is much easier to get weight ON a dog than get it off.

Don't panic, be educated.
    Good Day~
    The family told me she was 45 lbs. After visiting the vet she turned out to be 36 lbs. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    Yes get the fecal test, did you give a sample already? It could be a parasite or giardia too. Hope it is just weight loss but best to cover the poo and make certain, cute bully!
    Thanks, I did get a sample. I am dropping it off at the vet tomorrow morning.

Likes (Received)

What do you all think about the vet saying her knee caps were out of place?

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

I have no idea. Does that mean problems with her knees from now on? I don't have any experiance with it. Personally I would get her back on track weight wise. If she is lacking in nutrients etc...that will affect her entire body and immune system. See how she is once she is back on track, unless something happens or she is in pain with it.

Always with me

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads