what can i do to stop by bullie from shedding?

Jorge Rodriguez

Jul 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
chucky
ok so my baby boy sheds a lot and my family doesnt like that idea and they being complaining about the hair that is everywhere... i brought this oil fish tablets which he has been getting them for about a week now... can you guys please tell me some of your solutions to control the shedding...my bullie is just 6 moths old all he eats is his regular dog food which is wellness for puppy large breed in petco they said that brand is one of the best other than that he eats like a lil of everything you know how bulldogs get when they see food so when im eating i give him a taste of my food but nothing else if i dont give a pice of my food he will go crazy lol .... but i really need to know what i can do to control some shedding ...thanks ;)

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
You can brush him also. It helps loosen and remove some of the shedding hair. Salmon oil is best.
I really wouldn't give him any human table food. Bullies can be allergic to many things. You also don't want him getting used to getting food from the table or you when he wants...its cute now but at over 60 pounds when fully grown its not so nice.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I agree with everything [MENTION=1104]jortiz9758[/MENTION] suggested. Table food is not good for your guy! I found a great brush is a rubber curry brush ..most often used on horses. It seems to really get the loose hairs out..but makes a hairy mess..soooo do it outside. Its inexpensive..I paid $5 at a feed and grain store. Fish oil will help..but Bullies shed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
In addition to the fish oil... I use the fur-minator -- outside, of course.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
ok so my baby boy sheds a lot and my family doesnt like that idea and they being complaining about the hair that is everywhere... i brought this oil fish tablets which he has been getting them for about a week now... can you guys please tell me some of your solutions to control the shedding...my bullie is just 6 moths old all he eats is his regular dog food which is wellness for puppy large breed in petco they said that brand is one of the best other than that he eats like a lil of everything you know how bulldogs get when they see food so when im eating i give him a taste of my food but nothing else if i dont give a pice of my food he will go crazy lol .... but i really need to know what i can do to control some shedding ...thanks ;)

wellness used to be good !!! but not sense they went in with every body else !!!! they built a new plant a few years ago and changed everything.

Pleas try Fromm 4 star foods, you will not find it in any petco or petsamrt--they only carry it in holistic pet food stores. BUT---------you can order it online at petflow.com---- and it comes to your door, for $4.95 a bag. the reason I say try the 4 star first is that it is a single meat. and until you try them all you wont know if your dog is allergic to any meats. after that yo can go to the GOLD the only difference is the GOLD has several meats --so they wont ever be reactive to any type of meat. -now the 33lb bag is about $48.00---and that is just 4 dollars about wholesale cost. so they make very little on the food, But petco and petsmart wont carry food that they can't make at least 20 to 30 dollars a bag profit on. if you like to see the different types of FROMM food go to <Fromm family foods.com>
this is the best and only food that I would ever feed a bulldog.the have so many good things in it that you need nothing extra for great health!!! you do not need to fed any more than 1/2 cup 2 x a day.. for the first month until they get used to eating less volume , put veggies and fruits in it to bulk it up . green beans are great any kind of veggies, and fruit EXCEPT ONIONS--GRAPES/RAISINS(THE CAN CAUSE KIDNEY FAILURE) this works out to be about $10.00 a month for food for 1 dog. it may be expensive to buy at first , but you'll find --you do not need all those supplements to buy.

now for the shedding---grizzly salmon oil--in the pump bottle, 32 oz ,,(never give fish oil capsules --dogs are often allergic to the capsule--its self!! just use the pump ------ this oil will cut down on shedding about 80%--make sure it is wild caught , salmon oil.it adds more 3 & 6 omega and boosts the immune system a lot!!!
I hope this helps.the petflow account is easy to set up--to be delivered, every 15 t 16 weeks, ((it will take a week for delivery))) but when you set it up.. use the CODE ** ENGLISH BULLDOG and they will give a percentage of the sales to Bulldog rescue____--- in 6 weeks you won't recognize your dog.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
PLease folks it is NOT table food that is bad for your dogs---it is the preservatives in the JUNK FOOD we eat!!!
dogs cannot deal with preservatives. our bodies can sometimes handle abuse--theirs can't

all fruit and veggies are good for dogs --EXCEPT --ONIONS AND GRAPES/RAISINS----(THAT CAN CAUSE KIDNEY FAILURE)))
AND EVEN GARLIC IN SMALL AMOUNTS.--- fresh meat,and fruit and veggies are GOOD for dogs. that human food is--
but not fast food, cold cuts,hot dogs, NOTHING with preservatives---

as to the shedding also if you can get your dog to stand still for the vacuum, --just hold your hand on the edge of the hose and keep it off the hide by about 2 inches, the dog will really like it ,,and after a few times like this the dog will come to get vacuumed when you turn it on--HONEST--even with the noise--once they find out how good it feels--I've even been doing my cats for about 14 yrs. LOL!!!cuts way down on shedding and the need the need to comb!!

and I should have been more clear on this--2 small baby carrots is lots to a dog in the dish.a hand full of berries or 2 to 3 stalks of asparagus
. do not over feed-- the addition of veggies and fruit is a recommended item to help prevent stones and crystals in dogs!! this is especially for bulldogs as they do not drink enough water .
and the most important thing in pet food is the meat,and where it comes from!
unless it is muscle meat,(and stated on the bag) so that it is legally binding!!! it is not quality meat!!!I do not consider ,stomach contents,feet,head,or organ meat ,intestines.((but many folks do )it is protein!!! I will not use pet food that contains these things, I also do not use any pet food that is cooked to hot or to long,and becomes hydrolyzed!!! that is why they have to add coating to the food, it is not to get better quality in it !!pet food companies do not do anything to spend more money. as a person who buys WHOLESALE and knows what things cost!! know that companies buy what they can profit the most on !!! and advertising ,(the most expensive part of running a business) they need to push a food that wouldn't sell itself!! you will NEVER SEE an add for Fromm, great 4 Life, and a couple more. their food sells ITSELF !!! thank goodness most of us are getting smart enough to not believe what they print on the back of a bag of DOG FOOD--unless it is in the guaranteed analysis section -----there is no guarantee that there is more than a trace in the ingredients-by law only a trace is required to be able to say it is in the food. -but in the guaranteed analysis section --what they say is in it is what they better have in it !!! reading labels of ingredients is a lesson in marketing all by itself!! thank gosh I took marketing. and merchandising in college !!! the way pet food ingredients are written these days-------it puts CAR SALESMAN TO SHAME~~

Last edited:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas goes through his spells of shedding. He does Get Salmon oil. I do feed him NVI and for his treats and snacks he does get people food. Apples, baby carrots, green beans, last night he had blueberries.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
A differing opinion to [MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION]'s post (awesome name, be the way! :)):

1.) Dogs are carnivores. They can't process too much fruits and veggies - they don't have the proper enzymes to break down carbs and sugars like humans or bears do.

2.) Big Box pet stores don't profit $20 bucks on a bag. They rely on volume sales not per-item-profit-margin.

3.) My bully destroyed the vacuum cleaner. She hates that thing.

4.) Feeding a dog while you're eating at the table is not bad because of the food. It's bad for teaching good manners and right conduct. It's an alpha thing.

5.) Wellness company was sold to Berwind Industries (of Elmer's Glue fame) back in 2009. They split off their pet food division to form Wellpet. Wellpet is an upstanding company and the Wellness line of dog food kept its original quality. There were scattered reports of dogs getting sick, fishbones in the fish formula, etc., but nothing that can be definitely tied to the quality of Wellness. Wellness continues to be an average quality food (it has a lower protein, higher carb content than, say, Blue Wilderness which makes it a tad lower in my book) even after the Berwind purchase.

As far as shedding... Bullies shed. Oil is great, good food helps, brushing every morning is ideal. My dog wears a shirt indoors. Cuts down on the shed.

Hope this helps.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
yes this is a favorite of my dogs too. I just skipped to the vacuum because I could. but my dogs are bathed weekly with a mild non soap shampoo too.(earth bath)are pretty clean.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Daily brushing is the best I have found to combat shedding, bullies are sheeders so keep that brush handy. I found this interesting article about fruits and veggies in dogs.

By Moira Clune, eHow Contributor

• Benefits
    • Dr. Debbie Knapp, a veterinary medical oncologist and researcher in the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences at Perdue Cancer Center studies invasive urinary bladder cancer (invasive urothelial carcinoma or InvUC) in dogs. Among her findings was the "...reduction in InvUC risk attributed to ingestion of vegetables. In fact, dogs in the study who consumed vegetables at least 3 times per week had a 70 percent reduction in bladder cancer risk."
    Dangers

• There are some fruits and vegetables that are unsuitable and even toxic to dogs. Corn is a common allergen and can cause stomach upset. Grapes, avocados and onions can cause more serious conditions. The ASPCA has advised against feeding grapes because "although the toxic substance within grapes and raisins is unknown, these fruits can cause kidney failure." and points out that "The leaves, fruit, seeds and bark of avocados contain Persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs." Onions, the site states "can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could lead to red blood cell damage.
    Choose Quality

• Whenever possible, opt for organic. If the cost of an all-organic diet is prohibitive, consider avoiding the produce on the "dirty dozen" list and going for the "clean 15". The "dirty dozen" fruits and vegetables have been found to be the most contaminated by pesticide residues. According to the Environmental Working Group, pets and "people can lower their pesticide exposure by almost 80 percent by avoiding the top twelve most contaminated fruits and vegetables and eating the least contaminated instead."
    Preparation

• Dogs have a short digestive tract and lack the type of teeth needed to effectively grind food. Dr. Christina Chambreau, a homeopathic veterinarian and holistic educator, suggests pureeing fruits and vegetables in a juicer or food processor to aid nutrient absorption. Very fibrous vegetables can be cooked for 10 to 15 minutes to break them down enough the digest more easily.
    Variety

• Feed a broad variety of fruits and vegetables in a wide range of colors for the best possible nutrition. Some of the most dog-friendly vegetables are peas, carrots, squash, green beans and sweet potatoes. Fruits may require a little more encouragement, but many dogs like melon, bananas, apples, peaches and pears.
    Strictly Vegetarian?

• Dogs are omnivores, not carnivores, and can survive and thrive on a well-crafted vegetarian diet. Care must be taken to provide adequate protein, vitamin D, calcium and essential amino acids. There are commercial vegetarian dogs foods available that are complete and balanced. If you choose to home prepare a vegetarian diet, speak with a veterinary nutritionist for the best outcome for your dog.

Last edited:

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I guess I am just bossy!! all bulldogs hate noise of any kind, but they also learn the command leave it , and if not they get a squirt from the water bottle. (and I add just a tinge of lemon juice so it doesn't taste good)I like well behaved dogs!who will walk free style,and have manners in public.but we horse around plenty at home!I learned early on that they also will chase the lawn mower--and that is dangerous!!! so they learned the leave it command.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
what about the the gel caps of fish oil. I didn't know they were bad for my dogs. That's what I've been giving them. Is this true?

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH gets gel cap fish oil every morning and we have had no problems. She did react to salmon oil squirted on her food. We will continue with the gel caps. Her shedding did decrease after we started her on them along with the yogurt and cranberry gel pill she gets with her breakfast. she eats Fromm beef Frittata.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I am sorry !! yes that is why pet oils will come in a pump bottle . the outside of the capsule is what dogs often will react to ..liquid oil is safe and I like grizzly salmon oil because it is wild caught and does not go through a lot of handling or filtering(but comes from the far north where pollution is not bad) some salmon oil is filtered a lot, and I worry about some of the good part being filtered out, Maybe. that's just my feeling.
the bottle has how many pumps to use for the dogs weight.
thank you for caring enough to speak up.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.