Very interesting article, whether you agree with the author's perspective or not.

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Just came across this article somewhere else and was going to post it but it appears somebody beat me to it.

The article certainly gives a lot to think about. I knew what I was getting into when we got Lola (ok maybe not entirely), but the reward has been and continues to be worth the risk. And while a great deal of this article is opinion, I can't deny that some of the facts are worrisome.

Three things are for sure....Lola DOES love me, Lola IS happy, and by no means is her life "needlessly compromised"

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Three things are for sure....Lola DOES love me, Lola IS happy, and by no means is her life "needlessly compromised"

But that's not the issue though. The issue is that Lola is already "needlessly compromised" by virtue of being born an English Bulldog. Make sense?

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Here's what each of us has to really look hard into our own souls: Do we love our dogs enough to let go of our desire for their "cuteness" to give EBs a better chance at a healthier/longer life?

I am a first timer bully owner (long-time dog owner), and Lupe was a gift chosen by my husband through what I now realize is probably an online pet store. I try not to think about it. She was an expensive dog, but she is not "up to the standard" which has never been an issue for us. She's perfect. Throughout that article I found myself thinking: they're talking about cuteness, cuteness. For us, this breed is about personality and temperament; I have never in my life met a dog so sensitive, even-tempered, silly, loyal, smart, obedient, and completely calm.

My concern over the breeding out "cuteness" is breeding out temperament. When I hear that an OEB can run for hours, I wonder if that's the part of the EB personality that I'd miss most...all very interesting. I teach research and critical thinking, so these kinds of "moral"-ish issues sit well with me, and I enjoy evaluating the arguments. But also, overall, I thought the article pretty much implied EB owners are selfish. That's my biggest beef. Maybe I misread.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
But also, overall, I thought the article pretty much implied EB owners are selfish. That's my biggest beef. Maybe I misread.

I think it absolutely implies that. I read it as EB owners are more concerned with keeping the current breed as is (for a variety of reasons, cuteness and I agree most importantly that personality!) than altering it as to improve their quality of life. As anatess said, it really is a tough pill to swallow. I realize that there are alot of healthy bullys out there (thank goodness) but there is a reason why the breed is known as the most "unhealthy" or being plagued with the most health issues. I am not taking any particular stance, I'm not really quite sure how to feel about it all really, but I do think the author of the article brings up some valid points.

Last edited:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I just read this, it came up when I did a search on EBN for OEBs. My husband and I are strongly leaning toward getting an OEB. Having had, loved, and lost 5 EBs over a span of almost 30 years--2 of them made it past 9, but those 2 had serious heart problems, I am really torn. With the hope of our precious pet living a longer and healthier life we will probably go with an OEB!!!

hughesjo

Jun 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
Yes a thought provoking read. I do agree with the article that it would be better for the EB health if they were bred to have slightly less wrinkles and slightly longer noses. After all they shouldn't be deemed as a fashion accessory, I am all for them being more healthier, active happy animals with longer life spans :)

Pamvhv

Apr 2, 2012
San Jose, California, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brixton, Banksy
Breeding has become a sport to see who can get the most extreme features for a Hollywood style appeal. It would be great if we could get back to the OED that the breed originated from. I read the history of the breed not long ago and there were drawings that showed the breed being taller, less stout, and the snout resembled the American bulldog but shorter.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I agree that it's vital to breed bulldogs and other breeds health in mind first. If in EB's case it means a longer snout and less wrinkles so be it. I hope every breeder would keep that in mind and the English bulldog would be saved, but preferably without cross breeding. There is enough healthy bulldogs for breeding a healthy dog and healthier after every generation. Unfortunately there is a lot of breeders who compromise health over looks or just money. Banning the breeding of bulldogs is the worst that could happen. Since when has banning anything stopped it. Drugs are banned?? Alcohol was banned??? It would simply be done by even more shady people and heartless criminals.

As some of you know I show my Usko and a lot of times he gets critizized of his longer nose and leaner than most body. The "big boys" rule the rings. That also steers the way breeders breed.

Luckily it is prohibited by law to sell dogs in petstores in Finland, but still we have dogs that come from puppy mills usually from the bourdering countries. People think they are saving the dogs when they are really making the business possible and engouraging animal abuse. Reckless breeding just for looks is animal abuse as well.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.