"Why did you name him that?"

DinoRoyale

Aug 4, 2011
Red Wing
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
Angus was named after the "Great" Angus Young, my most favorite of guitar players from my most favorite of bands. There is also another meaning behind his name. Yes two!!! Our second bulldog's name was Porter, after Porter from the movie Payback, so Angus is just another special type of meat heh. Our next bully will more than likely be named Prime. From the meat and yes, Transformers, although Prime is not my favorite, Soundwave is, it just jumps out at me! Great stories gang, keep em comin!!!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Awww, I love all the stories! They are cute, funny, heartwarming, and all bullie! As for ours, Frank wasn't originally a Frank. We had seen the newer Sherlock Holmes movie and his bulldog's name in the movie was Gladstone. So we had our heart set on Gladstone. When we picked up our new little guy and took him home, the first thing we agreed was that he did NOT look like a "Gladstone". Instead of looking dignified, he looked more like he would be the type to get into trouble, such as going streaking (if he wore clothes, that is!:laugh:) So we named him "Frank the Tank" from Will Farrell's character in "Old School".

sitartzm

May 25, 2011
Wisconsin
Bulldog(s) Names
Brewer
Brewer mainly got his name because we are huge Milwaukee Brewers fans. But the second main reason is because there are no kids in this entire family. My sister in law has a dog named Packer (obviously for the Packers football team. we are all in Wi). The boyfriends parents always call the dogs her Grandpuppies, so we thought it would be fun to have the Brewers and the Packers.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
As we brought home our first English Bulldog we decided that she had to be named after one of the female members of the British Royal Family. So we went through all the Queens and Princesses until we came to the Queen's sister ... Princess Margaret. Hence the name Maggie! Maggie's second name is Meatball because her father's middle name on the papers was Meatball. So Maggie Meatball was born!!

Daddy was just a name we really loved for a boy bulldog so we had already set our heart on that. His middle name is Blue, and that's because we got the phone call from the Rescue organisation confirming that we was ours on the way to Cleveland. We were going to the theatre to see the "Blue Man Group" ... and so he became Daddy Blue. Although now he gets called Daddy Dumb-Dumb more than anything else, because if you look into one of his ears you can see all the way through to the other side!! :ROFL:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
BeBe is "Little Ponds Bella BeBe" which when we registered her we had to change to "Phenix's Bella BeBe.

It's a small world story: Bo's great great grandfather was "Champion Little Ponds Chief" and he was Mable's great grandfather also. That guy got around, eh? LOL
What's even more amazing is the Bo came from rescue and he's "related" to my (RIP) Mabeline "Mable" Fabulash - named for her auntie who is a drag queen.

Beefeaters Buxom Beatrice - My daughter Rhiannon liked the Beatrix Potter stories when she was small so he picked out "Bea" - I filled in the rest with her kennel and her stature. Buxom doesn't even begin to describe my little wine barrel doggie.

Bo had a couple of names before I got him - neither of which "fit" in my opinion. Lord Harringtons Bodacious Beauregaard - Harrington is the breeder, "Lord" is because he's MY master basically hahahaha no, really it just sounded English so I went with it - and he is Bodacious - that's for sure.

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
Jack had a bunch of names before we settled on Jack-Jack. He originally was going to be "Jimmy" because its a name my husband loved after watching a Seinfeld episode (it still cracks him up). And since we had to really work our charm to convince my husband to get a bulldog, we thought he should have naming rights. Then we started coming up with names of important Naval officers in history. And then we were going to name him Louis after my aunt Lois who says bulldogs are ugly (she says it to be funny and really does like Jack). And then he was going to be named Gibby after a characted in iCarly. And then my daughter decided that we should name him Capt. Jack Sparrow. So she thinks he is named after Johnny Depp's character, my youngest daughter thinks he is baby Jack-Jack from The Incredibles and my husband says that Jack is Jack McCoy from Law & Order and I say its just easier for Jack to understand when I call him Jack A$$ because he ate my shoes again.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] That's too funny, what a small world. My Lucy Lu's Grandfather was "Champion Little Ponds Chief" and my Buddy Boy's Great Grandfather is "Champion Little Ponds Chief". Lucy also has "Beefeaters" in her down line 3 generations down, just can't remember the name, I don't have her pedigree here at work. My Sexy girl's Sire is "Little Ponds Deal Me In" and her Dame is "Phenix' Sex By Fedex". It's funny how when you look at the different pedigrees you find how some of our bullies are related in some way.

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Well Lucy was originally a Lambchop, but the day we went to see her the Breeder asked me what she should call her, to get her used to her name a little until we picked her up 2 weeks later.
Connor (my son) told them Lambchop and very suddenly I said no she's a Lucy and Lucy Lambchop she has been since.
Lately though, she mostly gets called babycakes by my hubby and I

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Isn't that interesting... above I quoted Angela and it didn't print in the reply... weird!!

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
Liz was named Princess Lea by her breeder. We wanted her to have an English name so we thought was was more English than Elizabeth? I didn't know what else to name her, but thought since she was so beautiful she should be named after Elizabeth Taylor who had recently passed. So her AKC name is Princess Elizabeth Rosemond after Elizabeth Rosemond Taylor.

Amy was adopted from a family who could not keep her. They called her Roxy. We were trying to think up a famous Roxy, but decided that that name didn't suit her as it is kind of racy. Although technically, Amy is a humper. Anyway, she is quite fearless and intrepid so we named her Amy after Amelia Mary Earhardt. She is not AKC, but ACA or something like that. I still don't know how to register her. She didn't seem to have any trouble at all adjusting to the new name or her new family. I think its because she loves Liz so much!

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
Erin finally picked out the name Macy after my husband suggested it. She made her middle name the same as hers which is elizabeth. My middle name is beth so we named our daughter erin elizabeth. Lots of beths in our house...lol.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
well-- my three rescued English Bulldog pups at 12 weeks , had been born on Christmas day,, SO-----
Santa's Sunshine Tommy------------you are my sunshine
Izabella's Christmas-----------------Santa is is coming to town
Jingle bells baby doll Susy ------------jingle bells-----------

all three had their own songs that I sang for each of them often,
and I wanted to have user friendly crates-----------so I went to yard sales-and for 25.00 each I bought 3 cribs!!
they were big enough to put food dish, water dish. toys, and still have room to play, the crib sheets are 25 cents each @ second hand stores. the slip off easy to wash.----I took off the metal slide rods on the front of the crib, added a 1x1 bar across the front , to hang the front slide panel on , and by day I simply lifted off the front panel and had 3 day beds!!------------------they were not closed in --the dogs could see each other --and the loved them, and they were EASY TO KEEP CLEAN!!!!!!

ozbull

Nov 19, 2011
Western Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter & Honey Rose
We had another name for Dexter but after getting him home and watching him kill every toy he had within 1/2 hours we named him Dexter after the T.V series and we called our little girl Honey as she is the sweetest nature puppy anyone could wish for .

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
Wow i love this thread! So interesting.

I name my boy boomer since i fell in love with an english bulldog named booboo and he's inspired me to finally get one! I try to look for other names but boo just stuck in my head. I actually saves money to get him by putting it in a glass jar and wrote booboo jar on it.

Members online

No members online now.