Can Bulldogs Tell Time ?

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
It was STORMING this morning....
When I opened my front door at 6am today to take Jack on a brief walk so he can stretch his legs, feed the fishes and send a fax to Fidel Castro, I realized that no way in hell was that going to happen....

Jack did manage to peeing.jpg a little but not nearly enough for him to hold it until 4PM which is when my daughter arrives from school and lets him outside again ...

So back into the house went Jack..... with a half full bladder & a full bowel.... All morning at work I was feeling bad for him and also knowing that he was going to have an accident before 4pm and I would be the one cleaning the smelly mess when I got home...

So I went home during lunch to let him out.

As soon as I opened the door and called for him he looked at me funny. Like saying "You're not supposed to be here...... what ya doing ?? " Even after I opened the door to let him out, he stood at the doorway briefly, looked outside and then looked at me., then finally went out and did his duty....

It was one of those moments that's hard to describe, It was funny.. I guess you had to be there.! :D

Last edited:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I really do believe that they can tell time. We don't really have a set time to feed them dinner, as sometimes we forget to take their meals out of the freezer to thaw in the morning so it takes at least a couple of hours once we get home to feed them. Or when the boys are just roughhousing too much that I'd need to wait for them to settle down for a bit before giving them their meals, etc etc. So dinner can be as early as 5pm to as late as 10pm. But you can tell that Stig knows that it's dinnertime when he'd stare at you in the eye every now and then, waiting for any slight movement that you're headed to the kitchen. If you don't move from your spot, he'll cuddle with you until you feel guilty that you're not feeding the poor hungry suffering puppy. Sheesh! :)

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Oh they are creatures of routine... Moe has often reminded me that it was time for me to fix his dinner or take him for his walk... I would look up at the clock and say "ah yes, your right, it is time"

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas most certainly can tell time, UNTIL it comes to the time change, then it throws him. At 5:30 on the dot, he is sitting by his food bowl for his dinner. With the recent time change he would still be sitting there only it was 4:30 I had to ease him back to 5:30 again. With the next time change he is going to think he "scored" getting to eat early!! :)

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Both Mack and Ruggles' inner time piece is connected to their stomachs! They have a pet door so are free to potty any time but breakfast is at 8 am and dinner is at 6pm!!! Earlier is fine, but later we hear about!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh yes sarah knows when its dinner time. its not totally set here as he has work and coaching at different hours but pretty much the same. she knows when its time. she will follow me into the kitchen and do the "happy dance" and look at her bowl. to funny. yes i forgot the time change and im like look its not time for dinner at 4:30. and then i came on here and saw the thread about the time change and im like yes its dinner time. lol. she is not liking having to wait for dinner another hour.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I do think they know what time it is. They know when it's time to eat. I get up at 5:15 AM, they do not eat until about 6:30 AM, but Lucy will start her little bark right before my alarm goes off, even on days I don't go to work. So no sleeping in around here.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi Jack Daniels! I've been missing you! Lol!! I definitely think ..in our case..ALL our critters can tell time! Our old cat starts walking across us right before the alarm goes off! Jake ..especially knows when it's 4:00 ...and like [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] said..the time change really through Jake and Dena for a loop!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Im convinced they do tell time. I've seen that "your not supposed to do this now" look too.

HRH even has set her own bedtime! Usually Bruce goes to bed early "to watch TV through his eyelids". Gracie will stay with me until 9:30, then she heads to the bedroom on her own. I get an "I'm tired of waiting on you mom" look as she leaves the room.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
with dogs -- their life is about rountine...everything and anything = routine. So, to us, yes, they can tell time. Banks - not so much when Nitschke was alive, she is food motivated and just followed his lead on the timing of things.

Nitschke, oh LORD, was he OCD -- 5:30 AM was pee time and if I was not awake he would wake me. 4:00 PM, I better be home, if not he was sitting right at the door looking at the window ' where the heck is she - I gotta go!!!' look on his face. 6:00pm = dinner and as Kelly satated, his would sit by the bowl. 8:30PM - treat time and if I was late - he would open the pantry door and sit his chin on the container waiting for me to come open it. if I waited too long -- he would start talking his chewbacca voice to me. 9:30pm.. bed time and he would sit at the bottom of the stairs and stare at me till I got the message.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Im convinced they do tell time. I've seen that "your not supposed to do this now" look too.

HRH even has set her own bedtime! Usually Bruce goes to bed early "to watch TV through his eyelids". Gracie will stay with me until 9:30, then she heads to the bedroom on her own. I get an "I'm tired of waiting on you mom" look as she leaves the room.

:ROFL: :ROFL: That is exactly how Joe "watches" TV in the bedroom!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Oh yes they know when to expect things to happen ... they expect breakfast at a certain time, and the same for dinner. They also all knew when the kids would be coming home from school. They'd all start to get restless and gradually go sit and stand by the front window so they could see the school bus pull up and stop!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Yes they can tell time... BUT they only read analog clocks. After all, they can't read numbers so digital ones would be useless. :D

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Orion knows when it's feeding time and could care less about anything else that is on a schedule. Vegas cares about bedtime and what time his people are coming home. Since I work retail, my schedule is never the same. I USUALLY get home around 6ish. If I happen to work a closing shift, Vegas pouts and waits by the door until I do get home.

We were a little late feeding the kids last night. I was reading from my new kindle and was not paying attention to the clock. Both Vegas and Orion have learned this nasty nasty trick. Orion goes to the back slider door and barks at it like she has to go potty. I jump up to let her out...she just sits and looks at me. I then glance at the clock and realize...it's 20 minutes past 8. 20 minutes past dinner time. Vegas has also done this on occasion. He will hit the door with his front paw and Mark will have to move Orion off his lap to let him out. Vegas will refuse to go out...and as soon as daddy sits back down and before Orion can sit on daddy's lap, Vegas will climb into daddy's lap.
Daddy usually gets up at 5:30...mommy at 6:30 to 7:00. If it's the weekend, Vegas will nudge at his dad until Mark gets frustrated and yells..."it's the weekend jackass!"
Vegas can tell time...but could care less about what day of the week it is.

The time change was horrible. Orion freaked out for an hour. We also had to 'ease' her into the new tim

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
Rocks knows dinner time....but if I wake him before 10am...because my work schedule is a little earlier he looks at me with one eye ball like WTH....it's not 10am....!!! We're lAzy bummssss at this time!!!

Also it was a shocker to him when I started to work again after being home with him since he was a baby to a year old...we would sleep in til 12pm sometimes....ooohhhh it was the life....😊🐶 I have to admit sometimes I miss being lazy with him....with a new puppy lazy days r OVER....!!!!😜

ROCKY BOY
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325649288.420134.jpg

JAX n RoCky
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325649378.725440.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online