Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3.5 month puppy wakes us up dry heaving / coughing / gagging

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 3.5 month puppy wakes us up dry heaving / coughing / gagging

What great creative suggestions!

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions! I called our vet shortly after posting this and he thought it was post nasal drip. He recommended I give Cliff Benadryl. Cliff's symptoms actually got worse over the weekend... sneezing constantly during the day. gagging, and then he started getting yellow/greenish nasal discharge.

We took him to the vet yesterday. He concluded that he has a sinus infection which would be caused by some type of upper respiratory infection. He sent off a nasal swab to find out exactly what type of infection and the best type of antibiotics to treat it. That will take 5 days to get back.

In the meantime, he gave us 7 days worth of a broad spectrum antibiotic and told us to continue giving the Benadryl as well. After seeing the nasal discharge, I was very concerned about distemper even though he's been vaccinated. Our vet wasn't concerned though because he doesn't have a fever, has plenty of energy, is eating, stool is fine, etc. Phew!

He's on day 2 of the antibiotics and seems to be improving a bit. He still had quite a bit of nasal discharge this morning but the sneezing and coughing/gagging seems to be less frequent.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Okay so I have another update. The vet had him on Clavamox. He is doing much better now. Less gagging, little to no mucus and if there is any it is clear, less sneezing, etc.

However, we just found out that he had 2 infections. 1 was treated by the Clavamox, but the other is a bacteria called Pseudomonas which apparently is very hard to get rid of.

There are apparently only a few antibiotics that will help him but they have risks/side effects. There are injections we could do but run the risk of kidney infections.

The other is Baytril. Our vet is recommending that but mentioned that Baytril can cause cartiledge problems in growing puppies. Ours is only 4 months old... but the vet thinks this is the best option.

I've read that Pseudomonas is so hard to treat.

Has anyone ever run into this bacteria? How old was your dog and how was it treated?

Thanks!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lupe (or Lulu)
    Likes (Received)

Whaaaaaa...??? That's scary. How did your puppy pick this up? Poor muffin.

Lupe was on Baytril (get out your wallet, btw) for a very hard-to-treat UTI, and it fixed the problem. Was able to shorten her dose time to two weeks instead of four (with plenty of Baytril leftover !) I guess with bacterias, they respond to what they respond to. It's a pretty serious medication, but if it's what works then it might be the only choice. I would think they would start on the lowest possible dose. Or, maybe a second opinion?

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Whaaaaaa...??? That's scary. How did your puppy pick this up? Poor muffin.

Lupe was on Baytril (get out your wallet, btw) for a very hard-to-treat UTI, and it fixed the problem. Was able to shorten her dose time to two weeks instead of four (with plenty of Baytril leftover !) I guess with bacterias, they respond to what they respond to. It's a pretty serious medication, but if it's what works then it might be the only choice. I would think they would start on the lowest possible dose. Or, maybe a second opinion?
    Thanks for the memory jog.... Banks was on Baytril for her UTI's it was the only med that worked for her and she was around 12-16 months.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Lindathedogsmaid's Avatar
    Real Name
    Linda Parks- 360 681 5089
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have used Baytril off and on for many things over the years, not that expensive. But what worries me it that some folks on here are NOT following the vets DOSE, and not using the medicine up totally !!!! If you do not use ALL the meds up --the infection can and often comes back!!!!! please --make sure you have a BULLDOG VET and follow and use all the meds till gone when using antibiotics~
    may I ask this --is this vet a recommended BULLDOG vet ??? bulldogs are 360% different than other breeds and need a vet who knows that . aren't you the fellow who I got the AKC breeders in your state for you to find a good vet ???
    If you have a question regarding dog food, or behavior! call or e-mail me anytime.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads