Ideal age to neueter / fix umbilical hernia?

CliffandGriff

Oct 25, 2011
We just found out from a vet that our puppy has a small umbilical hernia. We had just thought he had an outie belly button, but now realize that is fat that escaped from the hernia and is now trapped on the outside.

Two days ago, a vet technician said she thought he might have a hernia when she was doing his shots. Then the actual vet examined him and said she couldn't find a hole and thought that he no longer had a hernia.

We didn't want to chance anything so we got a second opinion. Today another vet took a look and confirmed that he has a small hernia. He said the hole is about the diameter of a BIC pen cap. He said it is small and advises just to repair it when we neuter him. He advises to do that at 6 months.

I have heard from others though that it is best to neuter bulldogs later than that. I have heard anywhere from 10 months to 1.5 years. I spoke with this vet about this and he said that waiting could pose greater anesthesia risks and readvised to do it at 6 months.

The argument for waiting to neuter is that the additional time allows the bulldog's chest to widen, head to grow, etc. and that doing it earlier could cause joint issues later when the dog is heavier b/c the frame didn't grow enough to properly support it.

My parents have a bulldog that they neutered at 1 year and he looks great. He's a bit on the heavy side though which I don't know if it is diet, lack of exercise, or neuter related.

The 2nd vet said that dogs that are neutered after 6 months tend to put on too much weight as they mature....

Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on how I should handle this?

Do we do both surgeries at 6 months or wait until later so he has more time to mature and pray that the hernia stays small and he handles the anesthesia well?

Thanks so much!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi! We had the exact same issue with Jake. Just to ease your mind..my vet said the umbilical hernia will sometimes totally disappear on the or own. Jake was 10 months old when we neutered him AND at the same time fix his hernia. He did fine with the actual surgery (had a reaction to the suture material...grr) and his hernia had definitely shrunk in size! I'm sorry the site is having problems right now..it limits the amount of feedback you can receive! Hang in there..it's being worked on!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Ruggles had an umbillical hernia at 8 weeks when we got him from the breeder. We had him neutered at 6 mos. and had the hernia fixed then. I have always been told that it is much easier on the dog to be neutered before 1 year.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Our vet says to wait to at least a year or up to 18 months. Other vets say you can do it younger, and I have heard of other people getting their bullies neutered at 6 months to a year and have had no problem. The hernia if small can wait until you neuter him, and sometimes if small enough, will close on their own.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea had an the same type of hernia fixed with her spay at about 6 or 7 months. It didn't bother her at all and it was considerably larger than a pen cap! Thumb sized actually. This is more common than I'd have ever believed.

Because Bo came from rescue, he had three vets before he got to me. The rescue vet said to wait "as long as you can stand it" hahahaha for the reasons you describe, however, my vet claims that all of that waiting is of little consequence. Bo is a giant 72 pounder with a head like a canned ham. Neutering him at almost 8 months didn't seem to impact his size at all.....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I've always heard and believed 6 months at the earliest and at the latest -- best timing for health and risk factors.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.