Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bully owner needing help

Default New bully owner needing help

Hi,
    Our family was lucky enough to take home a 4yr male english bulldog from the local ASPCA yesterday. He is just amazing and sweet. Once he came home, he is constantly gurgling on his phlegm though. He sounds like a 80 yr old CHF patient. I tried a couple of squirts of lemon juice (read about it online) but it didnt seem to help. Its grossing the wife out a bit. We didnt notice phlegm at the shelter, but its seems pretty consistent now. Any suggestions?

He saw the vet yesteday during our pick up and is on medicated eye drops and an antibiotics for a skin infection. But everything else checked out.

He is such a sweet, loving and calm natured dog that our son just adores. Thanks and this is such a great website.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Will - Killer of All Ninjas
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack Daniels
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New bully owner needing help

Welcome and thanks for adopting...! Although my current bully wasnt adopted from a shelter, all of my previous friends have. Its a great thing to do and makes you feel great too. It may be all in our heads but at times I believe the pet knows they have been rescued and will Love you that much more.!

Regarding the phlegm , I can only think it may be residue from kennel cough and the antibiotics he may have been given to rid of it. Give him plenty of water and see how it goes for the next day....

Others will chime in soon...

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

First of all..thank you for saving his life! Second..please know our site is having server problems and while they are being addressed..it certainly limits the way our forum works and how quickly people can give you advice! I would be cautious with the phlegm and maybe seek out a vet who specializes in bulldogs. Their lungs and entire nose..throat area can have more challenges than other breeds. We do have a vet recommendation area under the forum section..hopefully it's accessible to you with the limitations on our forum right now. Hang in there..others will be along.we are so happy you found us and especially thrilled you found your new family member! We would love some pictures and some info..name etc..when you get a chance!

Thanks for the feedback so far. He has gone by Sparky in her prior life, so I figured we may as well leave his name unchanged after 4 yrs. The vet at the ASPCA seemed knowledgeable about them. Also a few of the techs their also owned bulldogs and had lots of info to share. I have a follow up with them next week. Unfortunetly there are no vets in the Orlando, FL on the recomended list.

He was still pretty well sedated from being neutered yesterday morning and now on pain pills. Im not home tonight, but the wife says he is much more active today then yesterday. Here are some bad cell pics. Top pic is my son and sparky at the ASPCA, bottom is sparky sleeping in the kitchen.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

He is very handsome! Ohhh..so he had surgery before he came home..I forgot..that is done to before they go to their new homes. Do you know what type of anesthetic was used? It's important Bulldogs get a gas called Isoflorane rather than the general anesthetic most dogs get. If he didn't get this..that might be his problem. They can get pneumonia pretty quickly so if it doesn't start to clear up..you should seek help. A call to the center who neutered him should give you the info as far as what anesthetic they used. I will try to get someone here with more experience.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to you and Sparky! His coughing could be a reaction to having had a trach tube during his surgery and some Bulldogs have phlegmy slobber.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the site and thank you so much for adopting. He is a beauty, and love the kiss spot on his head. I would say if the phlegm problem did not clear up by tomorrow I would watch him closely and take him to a vet Monday morning. I would say it's probably from the surgery. There is a great bully vet not too far from you in Lakeland Fl., Highland Animal Hospital, vets name is Beverly Brimacomb 863-644-6634. She is great, I have taken one of my females to her and a good friend of ours who is a breeder in Jacksonville, Fl. takes her bullies there also. Which is a drive from her house. Hope he gets better soon.
    Last edited by Davidh; 11-18-2011 at 12:19 PM.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Awesome info @Davidh !!

Since he just had surgery, etc. I'd just watch him closely. The dynamic duo here had their booster shots last week and even that altered thier behavior a bit. The next day, they were right as rain. I'm excited you have a bully vet option available to you. That will REALLY help you more quickly define issues when they come up. It's sucks to play a guessing game with the uninitiated vet who - is trying to help, but has no bullie experience at all.

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

Nothing to add but to say Welcome to the forum. Sparky looks like a super cute bully and I'm sure with some TLC and proper vet care he will come around. You've come to the right place as we all share our input and learn as we go. Love the pics and I think Sparky is lucky to have such caring parents.

Wilson & BabyGirl

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

to EBN..... I have nothing to add and it looks like @Davidh and others have you headed in the right direction. What a wealth of info this site is. Glad you joined and keep asking question as they arise. Great looking bully and I hope to see more pix soon.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to EBN and the wonderful world of bulldogs --- thank you so much for adopting and rescuing Sparky -- what a sweet boy.

How is he doing... any better since you last posted?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

@teog1 - How's the baby doing? Update?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast