New bully owner needing help

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just got back fromt the vets. They ruled out pneumonia and state its just an upper respiratory infection. They changed him over to doxycycline and suggested OTC benedryl and chlor-trimeton to help dry him out. I have read that robitussin DM helps and asked the vet about it, but they discouraged it. Anyways looks like we are on our way to recovery. Thanks for all the help.

I think the Robitussin has ingredinets I would not want a dog to have, esp. a bully. Good luck with him and keep us posted. BTW -- more pictures, PLEASE!

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
sounds like he needs pallet surgery, how old is he? you need to find a Bulldog vet --because if he is doing the phlegm he is having a bit of a hard time breathing or holding his head up high to sleep, and sounding kind of panting half the time. --and if the vet didn't check his throat out(look way back in the throat) he is not qualified to be a bulldog vet --they need to be way more observant . ask our forum about a vet in your area, or get a hold of the local bulldog breeders club(there will be one or more in your area) ask them who they recommend. we have a list on this site for many city's.
this surgery now days with a lazier will be around 700 to 900 lots cheaper than in the olden days , at 1500 a pop.
in the mean time, give him a big round pillow to set his chin on. (I use the foam tubes that kids use in the pool) cut to what ever length fits the space you have, he will love it . if he chews, put it in a pillow case. and put about a 1/8 of a cup of lemon juice in his water.---BUT -- this little thing grose ess your wife out --You might want to rethink keeping this Bulldog . FARTING -(only with Fromm --will this be kept at a minimum)BULLDOGS FART ALL THEIR LIFE !! slobbering---drooling while watching you eat. wanting their but scratched,and backing up to you to get you to do this. WE bulldog folks think this is endearing--not so much for other people!!!--- I'm sure you are going to get A slew of things from other people with other things they do .
get a good vet , and he'll need surgery after he is 10 months old (earlier -it will grow back)good luck, Linda

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
Linda here again--dont waist your time with the SPCA, I will get online to FL bulldog folks and find a good Bulldog vet in your area. trust me there will be many in Orlando, (with all those seniors down there) here's my email and I will get some info for you directly . I have a very good friend in Florida, and several others that are Bulldog people that I know , all around the state. most of us are on the west coast I think. I've just worked with many of the rescue groups all over the us.
[email protected]
360-504-2813 the SPCA will have very limited exposure to very many Bulldogs,even tho a few may have owned one

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I kind of have a mind on how to do things quickly and directly !!! if you will email each or all of these people, here are the links--and this list is out of the AKC breeders referral list for Florida! I am sure any one of them will gladly give you the name
of their vet! to start with , find one of them that i sin a city close to you . or keep going down the list till they know someone who is. with this many breeders in your state. I bet there are many vets that specialize in Bulldogs

Happy Thank Giving and take a good look at Fromm Pet food, they have 4 star and Gold (the only difference is that -4str has one meat--and the Gold has several kinds --so that dogs will never get intolerant to any kind of meat) if you dog is up to 75 lbs he will do great on 1/2 cup 2 x a day, and feel free to feed any veggie(except onions) or any fruit (except grapes/raisins---kidney failure)the more raw the better---and no other supplements are necessary!!! one bag 33lb should do one dog for 4 months (if measured). coming out to $7.10 per month , and will be perfect to keep you out of the vets and add years on to his life. you can get it delivered to your door at (www. petflow.com) for $4.95 a bag,
check the food out at(www. Fromm family Pet Foods.com)

I hope this helps a bit . Linda Parks [email protected]
Florida…………..

*Sandra Ballesteros, [email protected]

(PO,PF,OD,SS,RS,ACI)

Sylvia Butcher, Myakka [email protected]

(PO,OD,SS)

Carol Campbell, [email protected]

(PO,OD,SS)

Tina Doyle, [email protected]

(PO,RS,SS,ACI)

Henry and Miriam Martinez, [email protected]

(PO,SS,ACI)

Linda Oresto, Land O’[email protected]

(PO,SS,RS,ACI)

Bev Robinson, St. [email protected]

(PO,ACI)

*Sam Steding, Palm [email protected]

Frank and Kim Tully, Spring [email protected]

(PO)

Caroline and Michael Wilson; Ann and Steward Wagner, [email protected]

(ACI)

Pat Wise, [email protected]

(PO)

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
kennel cough or respitory infections tend to take a while to get rid of. you may hear "coughing" for a while. I believe the last time one of our boys got it, it took a month or so for the cough to go away. it's tough to listen to but it does go away. just remember to keep him away from other dogs while he is contagious.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.