New bully owner needing help

teog1

Nov 16, 2011
Hi,
Our family was lucky enough to take home a 4yr male english bulldog from the local ASPCA yesterday. He is just amazing and sweet. Once he came home, he is constantly gurgling on his phlegm though. He sounds like a 80 yr old CHF patient. I tried a couple of squirts of lemon juice (read about it online) but it didnt seem to help. Its grossing the wife out a bit. We didnt notice phlegm at the shelter, but its seems pretty consistent now. Any suggestions?

He saw the vet yesteday during our pick up and is on medicated eye drops and an antibiotics for a skin infection. But everything else checked out.

He is such a sweet, loving and calm natured dog that our son just adores. Thanks and this is such a great website.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Welcome and thanks for adopting...! Although my current bully wasnt adopted from a shelter, all of my previous friends have. Its a great thing to do and makes you feel great too. It may be all in our heads but at times I believe the pet knows they have been rescued and will Love you that much more.!

Regarding the phlegm , I can only think it may be residue from kennel cough and the antibiotics he may have been given to rid of it. Give him plenty of water and see how it goes for the next day....

Others will chime in soon...

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
First of all..thank you for saving his life! Second..please know our site is having server problems and while they are being addressed..it certainly limits the way our forum works and how quickly people can give you advice! I would be cautious with the phlegm and maybe seek out a vet who specializes in bulldogs. Their lungs and entire nose..throat area can have more challenges than other breeds. We do have a vet recommendation area under the forum section..hopefully it's accessible to you with the limitations on our forum right now. Hang in there..others will be along.we are so happy you found us and especially thrilled you found your new family member! We would love some pictures and some info..name etc..when you get a chance!

OP
T

teog1

Nov 16, 2011
Thanks for the feedback so far. He has gone by Sparky in her prior life, so I figured we may as well leave his name unchanged after 4 yrs. The vet at the ASPCA seemed knowledgeable about them. Also a few of the techs their also owned bulldogs and had lots of info to share. I have a follow up with them next week. Unfortunetly there are no vets in the Orlando, FL on the recomended list.

He was still pretty well sedated from being neutered yesterday morning and now on pain pills. Im not home tonight, but the wife says he is much more active today then yesterday. Here are some bad cell pics. Top pic is my son and sparky at the ASPCA, bottom is sparky sleeping in the kitchen.

11152011075.jpg

11162011076.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
He is very handsome! Ohhh..so he had surgery before he came home..I forgot..that is done to before they go to their new homes. Do you know what type of anesthetic was used? It's important Bulldogs get a gas called Isoflorane rather than the general anesthetic most dogs get. If he didn't get this..that might be his problem. They can get pneumonia pretty quickly so if it doesn't start to clear up..you should seek help. A call to the center who neutered him should give you the info as far as what anesthetic they used. I will try to get someone here with more experience.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and thank you so much for adopting. He is a beauty, and love the kiss spot on his head. I would say if the phlegm problem did not clear up by tomorrow I would watch him closely and take him to a vet Monday morning. I would say it's probably from the surgery. There is a great bully vet not too far from you in Lakeland Fl., Highland Animal Hospital, vets name is Beverly Brimacomb 863-644-6634. She is great, I have taken one of my females to her and a good friend of ours who is a breeder in Jacksonville, Fl. takes her bullies there also. Which is a drive from her house. Hope he gets better soon.

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Awesome info @Davidh !!

Since he just had surgery, etc. I'd just watch him closely. The dynamic duo here had their booster shots last week and even that altered thier behavior a bit. The next day, they were right as rain. I'm excited you have a bully vet option available to you. That will REALLY help you more quickly define issues when they come up. It's sucks to play a guessing game with the uninitiated vet who - is trying to help, but has no bullie experience at all.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Nothing to add but to say Welcome to the forum. Sparky looks like a super cute bully and I'm sure with some TLC and proper vet care he will come around. You've come to the right place as we all share our input and learn as we go. Love the pics and I think Sparky is lucky to have such caring parents.

d44d1f92.jpg

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN..... I have nothing to add and it looks like [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] and others have you headed in the right direction. What a wealth of info this site is. Glad you joined and keep asking question as they arise. Great looking bully and I hope to see more pix soon. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN and the wonderful world of bulldogs --- thank you so much for adopting and rescuing Sparky -- what a sweet boy.

How is he doing... any better since you last posted?

OP
T

teog1

Nov 16, 2011
Thanks for all the feedback. We were out of town for the weekend and boarded sparky with a local vet. I felt more comfortable boarding him at a vets vs a doggie day care since he was just neutered and on meds already. Looks like his condition got worse over the weekend. Lots of sneezing and snot. The vet on site states its kennel cough and recommended stronger antibiotics for additional fees of course, including an office visit fee. Which doesnt make sense since Sparky was already there and he already diagnosed him.

Since he is already under the care of the aspca vet, I took him back there today to be told they couldnt get him in until tomorrow at 130. If the aspca vet doesnt work out I will call the vet that was recommended by davidh. I would imagine thought the aspca will take care of it though. But I will look into the other vet as well for future visits. Will keep you all posted.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Please let us know how he does. He is a sweety! Thanks for adopting him and showing him what a good forever home is. My Miila just had surgery a week and a half ago and is phlemy BUT she had soft pallet done so I think that may have something to do with it. Mostly for her it is when she wakes up she sounds hoarse but then once she gets going it clears up.

OP
T

teog1

Nov 16, 2011
Just got back fromt the vets. They ruled out pneumonia and state its just an upper respiratory infection. They changed him over to doxycycline and suggested OTC benedryl and chlor-trimeton to help dry him out. I have read that robitussin DM helps and asked the vet about it, but they discouraged it. Anyways looks like we are on our way to recovery. Thanks for all the help.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.