Help please- our new foster - growling

brieandbob

Nov 10, 2011
Hi! We just got our first bully foster Nina last night. She's nearly 10 (!) and had been with the same family for her whole life. She has been tested for nonaggression and seemed to be doing fine last night. This morning, I got her up and took her for a walk and then my husband came downstairs. We had breakfast and then I had to leave for work first. As my husband and I kissed goodbye, Nina started growling and barking. She seemed completely fine when we stopped (tail wagging) but repeated the growling and barking when we hugged again. Any advice is really helpful- we understand that she is stressed and anxious from the move, and want to do the best thing for her without allowing this continue. Especially because she is a strange dog to us (just for now!), we want to handle this in a way that's safe for us and her.Thanks!!!Brie Ps: pics of the otherwise lovely Nina to come later today!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Awwww! Ten years old! My first question: how in the WORLD can a family give up a family member after ten wonderful years? OK. Don't tell me. I don't want to know. I am sad though and I'm glad she's with you guys because you seem to care so much for her. Poor baby!

Since it's impossible to know what this stems from, from her old life, I'd simply just disagree with the behavior, using as little sound as possible and as much energy as possible. You don't want to freak her out - she's adjusting - but when she does this, I'd say: Don't stop hugging, look at her disapprovingly and make a "no" sound (mine is "EHHH") and continue with the activity. Wash, rinse, repeat.

With a gal this advanced in age, I would think there's a lot of things you'd put up with that you'd not accept from a younger dog. Hell, the old girl is 80 according to this website (http://www.calculatorcat.com/dogs/dog-years.phtml). I'd want to give her a break on everything myself - but I'm a super softie and I have two very naughty dogs.....:lmao:

OP
brieandbob

brieandbob

Nov 10, 2011
Thanks for the advice! Her family is moving out of the country and can't take her : ( It was so sad when we picked her up!! Of course, we already love her and so glad to have her. She's a real sweetheart!!

LoveMyBullyBoy

Sep 12, 2011
Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Gravy
My male Shih Tzu growls sometimes when my husband and I hug. He's less than 2 years old and been with us since he was about 8 weeks old. It's not a vicious sounding growl, it almost seems 'playful', but I just assumed it was because he was jealous of my hubby touching me. He also used to growl at my hubby when he would play with the kids. He's much better now though. Me & the kids are home all day with the dogs so they are obviously much more bonded to us that my husband. I always assumed it was his way of looking after his people, as he saw my husband as more of an outsider. He works long hours & doesn't take as much time with the dogs as me. Maybe Nina has taken to one of you more than the other & she's being protective? Do you know anything about the family she came from? It's possible they may gave argued or fought a lot & made her very insecure about body language? Who knows.
Maybe put her in the hug too, I'm sure she won't bark or growl then. :D

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I can't help with this but wanted to say HI and :welcome:!!! Glad you joined us and I'd love to see pix of your sweetheart. Enjoy the site. :)

OP
brieandbob

brieandbob

Nov 10, 2011
Thanks everyone! I realize I maybe just had my first "new mom freak out'! :D We went to the park today and she seems very happy and healthy! Here she is! 377915_245918315461196_100001290880989_611865_1039708537_n.jpg

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Are you sure it was a growl? Not a snore before a bark. Sounds like she doesn't want to be forgot about.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This was actually a game we played with Nitschke... we noticed when he was a pup that if we hugged or kissed, he started to 'whine/bark'... could be she wants that attention.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
This was actually a game we played with Nitschke... we noticed when he was a pup that if we hugged or kissed, he started to 'whine/bark'... could be she wants that attention.

Yes, Jack likes to get in on the action too , sometimes he'll just bark and the next time he'll stand up for a hug too.

OP
brieandbob

brieandbob

Nov 10, 2011
Hmmm... It also might be that she has poor eyesight??? She keeps growling and barking at Bob (my husband) when he's far away, but is very happy when he approaches.. Also, she seems to really dislike our housemate (also a guy) - she growls/ snarls at him when he is farther away, and did so when he was between her and my husband... Any tips on how to get her used to him? He seems to be fairly clueless with dogs and lacking that natural ease with them that many people seem to have.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
The more time ya'll spend together, the better it will be. Housemate should know her eyesight is poor so he doesn't freak out when she barks. Being fearful of the barking will just add fuel to that fire!

OP
brieandbob

brieandbob

Nov 10, 2011
Hi all! Thank so much for all of the advice! Just a quick update - Nina is adjusting and is happier and more active every day!!! She is such a sweet girl and an all-around awesome dog. We have found that she does bark and 'growl' when people stand in certain places, but it's 100% non-aggressive - she's usually wagging her tail when she does it, silly girl. We're working on that but are no longer worried or nervous about it. We took her to the vet on Saturday and she's totally healthy! She needs surgery to be spayed and for her eyes, but other than that, she's a perfect girl. Thanks again everyone!! :whew: :)

melanieian

Mar 29, 2011
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Brodie
Awww sooo sweet of you to adopt her. That is awesome.

Maybe it is not an agression. Anytime me and my boyfriend hug or kiss Brodie jumps in the middle of us and breaks us apart. Even if we hold hands he puts his head in our hands and pushes until our hands come apart. Also, if I am laying on couch watching TV and not paying Brodie attention he will start barking/growling at me because he wants attention.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So happy she is doing better and adjusting. Thanks so much for adopting her, she is a beauty. Since she is 10 yrd, I don't think I would chance putting her under to have her spayed. I am one for neutering and spaying animals, but not at her age. Just a thought. Oh and welcome to the site.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.