Bubba may be tough as nails but...his nails aren't! Anyone have this problem?

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Took Bubba and the other 2 dogs for a long walk today..about an hour. I walk on the sidewalk for the most part. I noticed the last 10 min or so of the walk, Bubba kept to the grass. He didn't want to walk on the sidewalk. This is when I noticed I was being a really bad dog owner for not noticing this sooner. On walks,I make all 3 dogs stay next to me, and never ahead of me. Well, I happened to look over at Bubba to understand why he kept wanting to go in the grass and noticed that his nail on his left paw was all bloody! He had blood splasters all over his belly and back legs! I felt horrible. One of my other dogs has white nails but never has this problem. I think maybe it's because he shuffles his feet so much. Poor guy! It took me quite a while to get the bleeding to stop and it still seems to be sore today! ANyone else have this happen? I'm throwing in a couple pics I took today when Bubba decided he was afraid of the ball blowing around in the pool.
scaredbubba (1).jpg
scaredbubba (2).jpg
scaredbubba (3).jpg
scaredbubba (4).jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:love:.. Bubba! And Cassie..thanks for posting these on EBN facebook page! As far as the nails..poor baby..but I've got nothin'..hopefully someone will have an idea for you! Jake has white nails and we walk a lot on concrete and gravel too!

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
No never had this problem. But you better lock Bubba up. Even I want to steal him. Those wrinklesss

OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Thanks guys! [MENTION=2514]Sarah[/MENTION] Ha ha! He keeps getting more handsome as he develops, I think anyway!

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
did he grind his nail down to the quick or did he pull like a dewclaw out? our boys drag their nails but have never hit the quick to cause bleeding...however they are extremely short from the dragging. do you have styptic powder? it stings like hell but will stop the bleeding. jameson has a tendency to pull his dewclaw out once a year...bleeds like hell

other than that booties? if he's like our boys you will put them on and he will limp around thinking something is wrong with his feet

OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
[MENTION=2659]nyerathrt[/MENTION] no. not his dew claws. He wears down his 3rd nail, on both sides, the most. looks like the other foot was seconds away from doing the same thing! Back feet not a problem. I guess I need to train him to pick up his feet and not drag them like quazi motto (sp?). ha ha! never tried booties but might be a good idea. Would look pretty rediculous walking in florida with booties on though! lol

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Bubba is totally handsome! I tried booties on one of my Bulldogs that I used to take rock climbing (very gentle rock climbing); it was a wrestling match getting them on and he'd have them off in 2 seconds!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
No never had this problem. But you better lock Bubba up. Even I want to steal him. Those wrinklesss
I agree with Sarah!

HRH drags her feet too. The front two nails don't stay polished more than a day if we go on a walk.

She hasnt ever ground them to the point of being sore or bloody. But then we haven't ever walked an hour cause I'd be bloody and sore. :lazy2:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OH MY GOD... I GOTTA HAVE HIM. Where do you live so I can plan my kidnapping. He is so darn handsome --- Mr. Wrinkle!!

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Tubs also drags his feet when he walks. He has never worn down his nails like what you are experiencing though. I can always tell when his nails need to be cut though, by the way they sound on the floor....like right now, but I have to wait until my daughter gets home because it is a 3 person job....my husband holds him, my daughter distracts him with treats and I cut! Hope your wrinkly man feels better soon!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Bubba is beautiful. I don't have too much to offer either except to say that Wilson has floppy loose feet when he walks. I keep his nails trimmed pretty short and trim them every two weeks. He also has white nails it their quite hard. How old is Bubba? Just curious because I don't see how he can get any more handsome, he's truly a beauty!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
@bubbaisapig he is indeed very handsome, you could of shown him for sure. Yes I have that problem with my Peggy Sue. she will drag the front paws as she steps and then slap them down, and yes we have had bloody paws from the concrete. I found that corn starch or even Flour will stop the bleeding like a coagulant. and it doesn't burn like the sticks. I've noticed that handsome mug from the very first time I saw him. :luv: If he has his feet wet alot, from hanging out pool side, the nails may be a bit soft. Just a thought.

OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
THanks everyone for the suggestions/compliments. [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] He is 11 months. @Sherry He doesn't get in the pool, so his feet aren't wet much. I think maybe he just drags his feet too much. Guess I'll limit my walks to 45 min. on concrete or take him to dog park more often. Last few times I went though..a little drama. I have 2 other dogs (one is 26 lbs and the other is 13 lbs). They have the dog park sectioned off ..small dogs (under 20 lbs) and large dog side. My littlest dog doesn't much care for the big dogs so we usually hang out in the small dog park. Lately, small dog park has been a little annoying. Old guy came in and said..'he's not 20 lbs! get him in the other side!' Bubba is so submissive and doesn't hurt a fly! Most of the regulars there know Bubba and don't mind him being on the small dog side. The other night, a small terrier (about 25 lbs) had an attitude when he first walked in to the dog park. Came up to BUbba and his teeth latched on to his side and was going nuts! Bubba..just stood there. His owner (well, he actually didn't know the dog much) took him off of Bubba. I guess bulldogs have thick skin! I thought for sure he would have holes in him! Well..no marks seen! Thank goodness for all that skin!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor Bubba, I don't have any help with this, but just wanted to say I love the pics of Bubba, he is one very handsome bully, thanks for posting the pics, always like looking at pics of him.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw im no help with this as sarah doesnt walk for 10 minutes let alone and hour but bubba is truly wonderful to look at. thanks for the pics

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.