Urination/bladder control problems.

hooligan

Sep 27, 2011
I've been hoping this little problem was just a single incident, then I hoped that maybe it was just a little repeat, then I went through feeling embarrassed and shameful that I might have caused the problem. Now I'm just worried about it and need advice.

For the last 3 nights Brixton has soiled his crate. He hasn't been stirring and making noise in the morning to wake me up. He has also been peeing in his crate while I was at work. I've been coming home on my lunches to take him out, but half of the time he has peed in his crate. He has been peeing around the house. If I turn my head for a minute I'll have to start looking for the puddle.

Before I was crating Brixton during the day I had been using an exercise pen in my bathroom. Boy did that bathroom stink. I also had to take a 2 day trip to California for family reasons where my roommate and her boyfriend watched him. He had 2 small potty accidents in my room when they where watching him. Since I had gotten back I had a perfect 6 days with Brixton with no potty problems. His crating was great.

4 days ago we had a few changes which I think could have brought about the problem. I finally had time to deep clean the carpet in the house with my bissell upright deep cleaner. I cleaned the bathroom that he had been kept in with vinegar. I got two scented reed diffusers to keep the home smelling good. Last, but not least I changed Brixton to a raw diet.

Brixton has been healthy and happy minus the potty problems. He is energetic, playful, and generally in a good mood. His stools have gotten darker brown and firmer since he started on the raw meaty bones.

Now I'm trying to figure out a remedy for this problem. this morning after day 3 of waking up to a pee filled crate I switched him back to his kibble. I cleaned his crate. I started him back on 3 hours in crate 30 minutes out routine and while he's out of his crate he's on a 6 foot lead. I'm going back to crate training basics with him.

I don't know what else to do. Do I need to take him to see his vet? I'm not sure if I should put a belly band on him over night. At this moment if he would make any attempt to get my attention over night I would take him out to go potty, but he just sits quietly and waits for me to take him out if he's holding it or if he's standing in a puddle of pee(he won't lay in it)

-Loki

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Holy crap.... have you had a urine test done to see if her has a UTI? Is the puddle big, small.. discolored, strong odor?

we had a similar problem with Banks -- constant UTI's and she would pee all over the house and the odor was horrible -- she needed surgery, vulvaplasty, since you have a male that would not be a surgery for him as Banks just had way too much tissue in her private area which was causing the bacteria to build up, hence the UTI.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Is there anything absorbent in his crate? If so he will pee on it. Full bladder control doesn't happen until around 6 months old. Are you taking him out in the middle of the night? Puppies can hold it for a max of 1 hour per month old they are plus 1 hour so if he is 3 months old the MAX he can go is 4 hours. If you make him hold it longer, you are setting him up for accidents or bladder infections. It sucks to get up in the middle of the night with a puppy but a lot of them need it.

Also imho it sounds like he is in his crate or restrained too much . 30 min out for every 3 hours plus all night plus 8 hours while you work or 4 if you come home on lunch is a bit much. Puppies have tons of energy and NEED exercise and to be able to run to properly develop joints muscles and bones. If whenever he is out he is tied to a lead this isn't good. You will need to just follow and watch him closely for signs of needing to potty.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Sounds like a urinary tract infection or maybe diabetes? Does he drink a lot of water also? My rottie i had was diabetic and he was peeing like mad! Not saying it is but you should have his urine tested by vet!

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] I agree! Puppies have a ton of energy and need exercise! Sometimes dogs do these things because they're bored and mad!

Last edited:
OP
H

hooligan

Sep 27, 2011
Holy crap.... have you had a urine test done to see if her has a UTI? Is the puddle big, small.. discolored, strong odor?

we had a similar problem with Banks -- constant UTI's and she would pee all over the house and the odor was horrible -- she needed surgery, vulvaplasty, since you have a male that would not be a surgery for him as Banks just had way too much tissue in her private area which was causing the bacteria to build up, hence the UTI.
His urine is a normal shade of yellow. It has been full sized puddles overnight, but when coming home from work on breaks it could be just a small bit and he has been trying to hold it. It doesn't smell any stronger than usual.

Is there anything absorbent in his crate? If so he will pee on it. Full bladder control doesn't happen until around 6 months old. Are you taking him out in the middle of the night? Puppies can hold it for a max of 1 hour per month old they are plus 1 hour so if he is 3 months old the MAX he can go is 4 hours. If you make him hold it longer, you are setting him up for accidents or bladder infections. It sucks to get up in the middle of the night with a puppy but a lot of them need it.

Also imho it sounds like he is in his crate or restrained too much . 30 min out for every 3 hours plus all night plus 8 hours while you work or 4 if you come home on lunch is a bit much. Puppies have tons of energy and NEED exercise and to be able to run to properly develop joints muscles and bones. If whenever he is out he is tied to a lead this isn't good. You will need to just follow and watch him closely for signs of needing to potty.
I understand that a puppy has plenty of energy to burn. We enjoy at least 1 1 mile walk a day and plenty of play time. I play with him until he's worn out and ready to cuddle up on the couch. When I come home from work he has been able to play around the room I have been in.

The 3 hours in 30 minutes out and being leashed has been just getting him started back on his basic crate training. I don't have a problem with getting up in the middle of the night, but before he let me know that he needed to go out to go potty in the middle of the night. I agree if it where a perfect world I wouldn't have to crate him during the day time.

Sounds like a urinary tract infection or maybe diabetes? Does he drink a lot of water also? My rottie i had was diabetic and he was peeing like mad! Not saying it is but you should have his urine tested by vet!

He hasn't been drinking a lot of water since his food was changed to raw meaty bones which is normal because his food contains most of the water he will need in a day. I switched him back to dry this morning. He hasn't been too thirsty, but I'm sure he'll be ready for a drink with his evening feeding.

-Loki

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Did you happen to change crates sizes? If not then I'm leaning towards medical issue

OP
H

hooligan

Sep 27, 2011
I called the vet and have an appointment to go in at 8:30 tomorrow morning. meanwhile Brixton and I are having a great day playing and snuggling. I'm glad he's being such a good sport. Minus the peeing you'd never guess anything was wrong.

-Loki

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Let us know how he is. It could be from the diet change. Relax and enjoy him. Have you tried sleeping with him in your bed?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like a UTI, but may just be a phase he is going through, We has a little girl that did the same thing for about a month or so and then she was fine and she did not have a UTI.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)

Exact same problem here with Lupe, a girl (and the same surgery: vulvaplasty and stricture revision) BUT if Brixton's peeing because he just can't hold it yet, that is different than just unintentional "leaking." Infections and anatomical stuff, based ONLY on experience, result in leaks and dribbles, not full peeing. Again, I'm just a girl speaking from my experience with one leaky puppy.

I think as long as his urine concentration and PH are okay, then you might just have a basic bully puppy on your hands. More importantly: you sound completely invested in taking care of him. Seriously: that is all that matters. It's a delicate balance between how the two of you read each other and learn to "talk"...best of luck.

PS: "Nature's Miracle" has helped us in the past with removing off-limits places our dogs "marked" during accidents. Good stuff and not chemically.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
Yeah had the same issue with jameson...training was going great then bam he starts peeing in his crate, during the day overnight etc. Was. A UTI. Poor guy was miserable...antibiotics and he was a new puppy

Last edited:
OP
H

hooligan

Sep 27, 2011
thanks for all the feedback guys. I started Brixton on apple cider vinegar yesterday and things have been great. I am going to go back to keeping him in a pen during the day. I'm so happy that he's going potty back on a regular basis. I had a mini panic attack over the whole thing. I was having stress nightmares that he was sick. ugh I'm so glad that things seem back to normal. Of course if things are acting up again I'll end up taking him into the vet to make sure there isn't another problem.

P.S. it's a pain in the butt getting Brixton to eat food with apple cider vinegar on it.

-Loki

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Glad to hear Brixton is doing better. Taking one step back in training was surely just what he needed.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.