Potty Question

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Ok, so Tubs has been great and easy with all of his training. This includes his house training as well. We have not had him in the crate for about 6 months now. When we are out of the house we baby gate him in the kitchen/dining room, just to make sure he doesn't get not something throughout the house. One time I tried to leave him out to see how he would do, but he got into the trash in my bedroom and chewed up a hanger. When we are home he has the run of the house and usually stays close by me. He will walk to the back door and stand there when he needs to go out. Sometimes he will sit by the door even when he doesn't need to go out. He is great all day, gated in, when we are at work. No accidents and he goes out right away. He can go an 8 hour work day without going out. When we get home we take him out right away and play with him while outside. After that he takes several more trips outside with one last trip right before we go to bed, usually around 9-10. Since he has been out of his crate, he has been sleeping in our room. (Our problem) He has been getting us up 1-2 times a night to go out. He gets us up by jumping up and putting his front paws up on the bed and whining. I feel like we have a newborn baby again, only difference this time around is I have a "daddy" that actually gets up and takes care of the "baby". Some nights I don't hear him and my husband tells me that he got up 3 times through the night. Are there any suggestions on how we can get him to get through the night without waking us up to go out? He is fine through the night if we gate him in the kitchen (which I have done a couple of times because his snoring was too much for me), but I don't want to do that because he is gated in during the day while we are at work. I love having him close by at night, but the numerous wake ups are getting to be a bit much!Zzzz

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hmm: since I find it V.E.R.Y hard to believe that Tubs does ANYTHING wrong...:nonono: I'm thinking your hubby is dreaming ALL of this! Yeah...that's right....tubs is just zzzzzzzz away..and getting in trouble for nothin'!!! :hissy:...on a more serious note..maybe he doesn't really have to go out..maybe he wants UP! I'd put him in kitchen ...well..I probably wouldn't..but....?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Maybe it's time to put him back in the crate at night? He can be in your bedroom, but in his own comfy cozy little "den". Since they won't soil their own den typically, you'll be able to ignore him when he starts whining to go out (because you know that he really doesn't need to go out).

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
What about limiting his water after supper? That usually helps

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well 2 things come to mind. i had a gf once whose dog would go out 2 times every night. she thought he had diabetes. i suggested she get a dog food that didnt have salt as the 5th ingredient and wallah her dog could sleep till like 530 am. salt in dog food for flavor also makes dogs p alot. the second thing and the one im thinking is your problem is your dog just wants to get in bed with you. sarah does the same thing. she will keep me up all night unless i put her in bed with me. so unless you have a stern constitution to take the time to teach the dog he sleeps on the floor i suggest putting them in another room or crating at night. good luck

OP
speechmom53

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Thanks everyone for the suggestions......When we first go into the bedroom he jumps up and that I know he wants to get in bed with us. We ignore him and he will realize it is bed time and go lay down on his bed. I know he needs to go out when he gets up at night because when we take him out he pees and poops almost every time. If no pooping there is always peeing! I was talking to my dad about this too and he suggested crating him again at night. Like [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] suggested, I can crate him in the bedroom so he is still with us but learns to sleep through the [email protected] would say you are right about the hubby making all of this up, but Tubs come on my side of the bed and wakes me up first, the I roll over and wake the hubby up and tell him Tubs needs to go out! :ROFL:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Yep, sounds like he has just gotten into a bad habit. Crateing at night for a while is the only thing I can think of that will stop it now.

OP
speechmom53

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Thanks [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] i took the crate over to my parents house for when he was there with my daughter on my late work nights, so I will be bringing it back here tomorrow to start crating him at night again. Hopefully that will do the trick!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds to me that a certain someone wants to sleep with mom and dad ... the potty breaks are just a way to get the needed attention

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Thanks [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] i took the crate over to my parents house for when he was there with my daughter on my late work nights, so I will be bringing it back here tomorrow to start crating him at night again. Hopefully that will do the trick!

I'd also suggesting getting a nice new cushy bed for the crate or a new squishy soft blanket. These crates here are outfitted identically and so comfy they LOVE to be in them....just laying in them when not sleeping as they're here in the rec-room/office where most of the action happens. Sometimes they switch crates or they'll both cram into one of them. I have a matching afghan draped over the top too so it's very den like in there. Make it super cozy and Tubbs won't be able to resist!

OP
speechmom53

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
I'd also suggesting getting a nice new cushy bed for the crate or a new squishy soft blanket. These crates here are outfitted identically and so comfy they LOVE to be in them....just laying in them when not sleeping as they're here in the rec-room/office where most of the action happens. Sometimes they switch crates or they'll both cram into one of them. I have a matching afghan draped over the top too so it's very den like in there. Make it super cozy and Tubbs won't be able to resist!

Thanks for the suggestion. We have a bed for him that was in his crate at one point. Now it is on the floor in our room and he lays on that every night when he goes to bed and I find him there in the morning, but I will PIMP out his crate for him! As I am saying all of this too, he slept through the night last night! I wonder if he knows what I am up too....heehee

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.