Will my bullie know his baby?

KuttersMommy

Nov 10, 2011
Highlands, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Kutter (AKA KutterBug)
Hey all! I have a 2 year old male who will be a daddy soon. He is not really good with other dogs because he's been an only child since birth. He thinks other dogs are trying to hurt us. (He's very protective). My question is: when we bring a new puppy into the house..will he know it is his baby? Or will we have to keep them separated? I'm just afraid of my big baby hurting the new baby. Thanks!!

Love,
Kayla & Kutter :heart:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321110828.760271.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321110828.760271.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 80

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
No he won't. He may be gentler with it because it's a puppy, but he won't know it is his progeny. I have to ask, If your dog is dog aggressive, or "not good with other dogs" why are you getting a second dog. It just seems unfair to both dogs involved to take a chance that there will be future issues in your home. While this dog is a puppy , it may be ok but as it gets older things can escalate. That said I do hope you are getting a female.

OP
KuttersMommy

KuttersMommy

Nov 10, 2011
Highlands, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Kutter (AKA KutterBug)
No he won't. He may be gentler with it because it's a puppy, but he won't know it is his progeny. I have to ask, If your dog is dog aggressive, or "not good with other dogs" why are you getting a second dog. It just seems unfair to both dogs involved to take a chance that there will be future issues in your home. While this dog is a puppy , it may be ok but as it gets older things can escalate. That said I do hope you are getting a female.

Thanks! I guess I should have clarified... My big baby is actually my fiance's mother's dog. He won't be living with us when we get the new puppy. Sorry for not mentioning that the first time! And we are getting a female :)

Love,

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I would introduce slowly. From my experience Cutty is much more tolerant to babies, skin and fur. BUT he loves all animals in general too. He can get grumpy and wants to be left alone but when it is a baby harassing him he seems to not mind so much. Miila has earned a spot in his heart like this. She bugs abd bugs and he kinda just takes it all. Also my 10 month old skin baby was yesterday biting his ears and digging in his mouth while he was trying to sleep, no bother at all. SO great to see that, melts my heart. A baby may just melt his heart some too. ;)

OP
KuttersMommy

KuttersMommy

Nov 10, 2011
Highlands, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Kutter (AKA KutterBug)
I would introduce slowly. From my experience Cutty is much more tolerant to babies, skin and fur. BUT he loves all animals in general too. He can get grumpy and wants to be left alone but when it is a baby harassing him he seems to not mind so much. Miila has earned a spot in his heart like this. She bugs abd bugs and he kinda just takes it all. Also my 10 month old skin baby was yesterday biting his ears and digging in his mouth while he was trying to sleep, no bother at all. SO great to see that, melts my heart. A baby may just melt his heart some too. ;)

Thanks! My big baby doesn't like older dogs because I think he is trying to protect us. He is GREAT around kids and human babies. So I'm hoping a furry baby will soften him up :) the ONLY reason he isn't tolerant of other dogs is because he is scared. It's obvious lol he is fine until they startle him

Love,

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Well I will bet the puppy will scare him too, cuz they can be CRAZY! haha But I would think/hope he will do fine so long as you let them spend a lot of time bonding while the baby is young. Be ware tho, your big baby will soak the puppy with slobbery wet slimy kisses if he is as nosey as my Cutty is. :lol: My poor Mugsy was soaked for his first few months that we had him.

OP
KuttersMommy

KuttersMommy

Nov 10, 2011
Highlands, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Kutter (AKA KutterBug)
Well I will bet the puppy will scare him too, cuz they can be CRAZY! haha But I would think/hope he will do fine so long as you let them spend a lot of time bonding while the baby is young. Be ware tho, your big baby will soak the puppy with slobbery wet slimy kisses if he is as nosey as my Cutty is. :lol: My poor Mugsy was soaked for his first few months that we had him.

Haha I'm sure my Kutter (big baby) is gonna slobber all over Kaytee (new baby). He is SO nosy and curious! I plan on letting them bond a lot too. Kutter won't be living with us, but will be around Kaytee a lot since Kutter is at my mother in law's. He is so gentle around human babies so here's hoping!

Love,

H

heff101

Well if he is like any other normal "male" first he will deny the baby is his and claim the mommy was a tramp that slept around.
Hey maybe you all need to go on the Maury show and get a DNA test done!!

ROFLMAO

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=3672]KuttersMommy[/MENTION].... I am confused? Are you re-homing Kutter or does he belong to your future mother-in-law? If Kutter is scared or does not like other dogs -- you are in for some fights especially if the new baby has any dominance level.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3672]KuttersMommy[/MENTION].... I am confused? Are you re-homing Kutter or does he belong to your future mother-in-law? If Kutter is scared or does not like other dogs -- you are in for some fights especially if the new baby has any dominance level.
I will answer, haha what I gather is she lives with her mil now and will be leaving before this puppy comes. BUT she wants them to be socialized together and be buddies. They will not be living together in the same house so she is fine there. I think they will get along ok so long as they are around eachother from the start and very often. Will be interesting to see how this turns out tho. ;)

OP
KuttersMommy

KuttersMommy

Nov 10, 2011
Highlands, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Kutter (AKA KutterBug)
I will answer, haha what I gather is she lives with her mil now and will be leaving before this puppy comes. BUT she wants them to be socialized together and be buddies. They will not be living together in the same house so she is fine there. I think they will get along ok so long as they are around eachother from the start and very often. Will be interesting to see how this turns out tho. ;)

Spot on! Haha sorry for the late reply! Kutter was meeting his GIRLFRIEND! He did great!! He wasn't scared of her at all! They loved on each other for 2 hours today :) We think the only reason he is scared of other dogs is because he was attacked as a puppy. But he did great today with the future momma of his babies, so here's hoping for him doing good with the puppy! :heart:

Love,

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321242294.738999.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321242294.738999.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 77

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.