I hate people asking how much my dog cost.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
This irritates me also. I tell them my Ruckus was adopted. I do let them know that they are a high maintenance breed and more than likely the purchase cost won't compare to the cost of maintaining them. That's when I get the "oh really?" Not that I'm trying to discourage, but people are clueless, which is why there are so many in rescues and shelters.

My baby's name is Ruckus, too!!!! People ask me all the time...if they've asked other questions about him and his breeder and they express serious interest in breed (and seem to be as obsessed with his wrinkly face as I am) then sometimes I'll tell them, otherwise I just sort of ignore the question and keep talking about another topic.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I had it asked to me a few times. I let them know , she's a rescue . I educate them and say, puppies cost up over $2,000 depending on breeder. My girl cost less than that but she was not cheap lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I got asked this q tonight all I can do is giving them the same answer and derail into the cost of breeding and how the process works hoping I bore them lol
I was tempted to ask, how much did your kid cost? LOL

ArJay84

Jul 22, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
My cousin was kind of rude about it when he asked how much we paid for Millie. He's like "all she's going to do for the first year is bite you and pee all over your new carpet. Is that worth the money?"

I came back with "Your daughter is 5 years old, still wets the bed and got in trouble at school for biting a kid. Not much difference."

Boom.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My cousin was kind of rude about it when he asked how much we paid for Millie. He's like "all she's going to do for the first year is bite you and pee all over your new carpet. Is that worth the money?"

I came back with "Your daughter is 5 years old, still wets the bed and got in trouble at school for biting a kid. Not much difference."

Boom.

I love ove your response.... Fantastic!!

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
This is a fantastic thread, even though it's 3 years old. I also get asked this question all the time. I just wanna yell: it's none of your business! Instead, I say: a decent amount but not as much as around here. When I see their confused faces, I tell them where I flew to get our crazy baby. Which in turn is followed by: isn't that more?
No, it wasn't. Some people just don't know boundaries.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Well, the last time I responded Blue was something like 4-5 months old. He's going to be two in December.

Since then, I've only been asked once, and even then, it was in a roundabout way.. something like "I heard they're an expensive breed", and I just replied - yes.

But other than that, no one has come right out and asked. At least not that I can remember.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My son asked me awhile ago-I answered" Nunya".(non of your biz.) I said "what, are you worried about an inheritance?!":evilha:

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] Lucky you've never been asked directly. [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] Hahaha

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
When I received Harvey at 10 weeks old, I have been asked several times of how much he cost. When I read people well, people who are truly interested on getting one, I will be honest and tell them. I have also suggested that the rescue is a great venue to get one.

There was however this one obnoxious guy and I knew he was just being nosey. So when he asked I told him $10,000, he then asked why? so I told him that he was on sale and then I walked away.

I did not pay that kind of money but good money and never looked back.

msericathatcher

Apr 18, 2014
Norfolk, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
We get asked it all the frickin time! My husband and I get super offended. I agree with you, it's no ones business but ours. We just say we would rather not discuss it. And end it there. My husband will react to it more with a bit of a temper but I just say it's our business. But whenever we run into EB owners the topic of vet bills come up and we laugh :p who knew vet bills would be funny

BrittneyBrandt

Oct 10, 2014
Country
united States
Bulldog(s) Names
Izie
I hate it to, I paid 2500 for izie and people look at me like I'm stupid... now I just say whatever the cost she was worth it♡♡♡

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Oh yeah that always seems to be an interesting topic with people. If I know it's someone interested in buying I am fine with sharing. If they are just being nosey, like my mom was when we purchased Tyson two weeks ago, I just beat around the bush. I told my mom "a few dollars that can't compare to the love and joy he will bring." She was trying to find out because she had been dropping hints for me to send them on vacation like I did in March that just passed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.