I hate people asking how much my dog cost.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I thoroughly agree, it is very rude I feel. Every once in awhile I have a person who really is looking to get a bulldog, but that is not the normal. Usually they ask what kind of dog it is, and then where she came from and how much.
I was so aggrivated one day at Petsmart I replied to "How much did that cost?" with this; I pointed to my 20 yr old son and said, 'he was $32,000 strait out of the hospital" pointing to my 15 yr old "She was $26,000 before getting her home from the hospital" and the baby (pointing to Kippah) was far less than that. All three are worth every cent!"
I wanted to point to their children and ask how much they cost, but I gave up and turned away.....rude? yeah, I was, but it is so irritating.
My kids are making me work on my people skills :yes:
It's very rude IMO, especially if it's a stranger in passing. I can say I haven't had anyone ask me yet how much Wilson cost except for one of my bosses, and I sidelined my response with saying, "a lot." They both caught my drift that I wasn't sharing that info with either one of them. :laugh:

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
Interesting thread, as I've been thinking about this and how I plan to respond. My family and friends will most likely ask and they are very vocal about spending money on pets. Since I own my own business, I'm just going to say a client gave it to me as payment.

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
I just say, yes, they are expensive, and then I take the oppoortunity to tell them, that is only the beginning, and probably the least item you will pay for these babies, as the maintenance, time, vet expenses, and I go on and on, about the expense. Because if that is the main factor for them, then they do not need to own a bullie, and if they get one, good chance the bullie will suffer as they will not take care of it properly. I adopted 3 from rescue, and it breaks my heart to see what people do and dont do. All 4 of mine are fawns, and I am always amazed, that they want to take pictures, of a dog they will never see again, and does not mean anything to them.I do not understand that.
But I use the time to educate them.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
I have three now and I just tell people that they cost less then having to raising their kids and putting their kids through collage........

Last edited:

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I just say, yes, they are expensive, and then I take the oppoortunity to tell them, that is only the beginning, and probably the least item you will pay for these babies, as the maintenance, time, vet expenses, and I go on and on, about the expense. Because if that is the main factor for them, then they do not need to own a bullie, and if they get one, good chance the bullie will suffer as they will not take care of it properly. I adopted 3 from rescue, and it breaks my heart to see what people do and dont do. All 4 of mine are fawns, and I am always amazed, that they want to take pictures, of a dog they will never see again, and does not mean anything to them.I do not understand that.
But I use the time to educate them.
I agree. It is very rude, but I think it is important to make sure they know that the cost of the dog is nothing compared to the upkeep. My son-in-law has wanted one for years, but I told my daughter she'd better be careful because SHE is the one who will have to care for the dog, and she doesn't have time.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Great thread and better responses.

I was a tomboy and had an early interest in anything fast, motorcycles, cars, etc.

Most if not all of my boyfriends had muscle cars and by 21, I bought my 1st Corvette.

My 1st hubby & I built a wrecked '72 Vette and made it into a drag race car running on
airplane fuel w/a parachute to aid in stopping it. He bought himself a daily driver, an '81
Vette...so we had 3.

2nd Hubby grew up w/his dad into fast & cool cars so when we married, we saved our
money and paid cash for an '81 (when our son was 13) and we had family car too. Then
he bought my '98 for me as a 20 yr anniversary gift...paid cash for it too.

We are struggling middle class and when we get those "how much does it cost" questions,
we answer, "A lot but they cost MORE on their upkeep." also to more intrusive questions,
"How can YOU afford these cars"...we answer, "We've never taken vacations, saved our
money, bought a modest house and paid wholesale prices." Our cars give us more pleasure
than a daily $6 Starbucks, shopping & buying things we don't need or living in a fat $ss house.
They ARE our vacations! We could care less what others spend their money on nor do we
judge them, everyone works hard for their money, everyone has their desires & dreams and
so live accordingly.

When we got our 1st bully, 7 months ago (adopted) we started getting these same questions.
We gave out the same answers and educate as to the REAL expense...maintaining them, vet
bills, expensive food & supplements and TIME caring for their many needs.

I just adopted my 2nd bully, Cami, a week ago and will do the same, I'm sure. I try to discourage
people because I know the majority have no idea of the committment it takes then I strongly
advocate researching at least 6 months on the breed & educate themselves on such.

It breaks my heart so many bullies dumped, abandoned & left to die in back yards once vet bills
are needed to fix costly problems and/or the daily care becomes a burden.

For the most part, I actively discourage ownership and then, advocate researching then adoption
if still interested.

Love all you good, responsible & loving bully owners here and thank you for rescuing those in need!

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
It really aggravates me when strangers ask me how much my dog cost. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but it's really no ones damned buisness, but mine and my breeder how much my dog cost me. -Loki

I get that a lot. People always tell me how expensive EB's and how unhealthy they are. I always respond "so am I".
No one knows how long you saved or how hard you worked in order to get the EB. It bothers me a little but I dont see it as a money thing but others do. I worked hard and saved so I could be in a position to get the EB puppy and also to have enough reserve for emergencies. And I smile everyday I see her healthy smushy face. :bully:

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
I don't get that question as much as, "Are you going to breed them?" Then when I say no they always come back with, "you can make a lot of money." It makes it hard to just be proud of your fur baby when all people see is dollar signs.

This is the absolute WORST I agree! I have a pair, too and every time we go somewhere with both we're asked about breeding or getting on my "list" for puppies. I always say we aren't breeding them, take a look between Mac's legs you won't find anything! LOL I mean, he sure does try his darndest don't get me wrong but he's usually waaaaay off the mark and just ends up licking his wounds cuz when Cleo says 'no' she means 'get the HELL off me NOW!!'

Richard Jones

Dec 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nate
We got our first bully, Nate, who is 5 1/2 months old and that is all I hear when we go somewhere!! Do you know how expensive they are to care for? Are you going to breed Nate? Well today when someone ask me if I knew how much it costs in vet bills for bulldogs, I responded, "yes, I do know, on Tuesday I am paying $5,000 for Ectopic Ureter surgery and having him neuter at the same time. They didn't know what to say!!!

Dalia55

Jan 31, 2012
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Lasagna Lopez, Maximus Meatball Meridius
Yes if you have a bully these two questions will haunt you, especially during the puppy stage. I used to just joke it off or say "priceless" now max is about to turn 1 yr old and breeding questions are attacking me, I just answer by saying I'm not interested in the $ and I plan to fix him

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
I've had Ella about 2 weeks, and have been asked this question a good 10 times already. I say alot. Only one person have I actually told, and that's because he was truly interested in Bulldogs, he wasn't asking to be nosy, and that wasn't his only question. I did have one girl I know text me and keep asking and asking and asking. I finally said Bulldogs run between 1500$ and 3000$, and explained why. She shut up real fast, and hasnt texted me since lol She even bugged my boyfriend *Eye Roll* He just told he he didn't know, he didn't get into all that.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We get stopped constantly when we take Blue out. But no one's ever asked us how much we paid, or if we'll be breeding him.
I dunno, I consider questions regarding the cost of anything pretty rude.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
We get this all of the time, and since we have Gizmo (Female) and Hershey (Male) people assume we are breeding them, that is when we take the time to mention rescue, OVER and OVER and OVER again.

Yes, people shouldnt ask that question however they do. . . we use it as instruction time - about rescues, hell I'm a walking rescue billboard, I go to CafePress and I ordered about 10 tee shirts from rescue organizations, so I'm literally always wearing one. :) We are in delaware, and I even wear one from San Antonio Texas ! :)

loalsa

Jun 24, 2014
Wow. Some good ideas here! I always feel a little nervous when people ask how much we paid for Lupe, especially around the neighborhood (a few blocks away is a part of town with, um, nice people who have a lot of questionable family members and fiends) Why do they want to know? More than my jewelry, the dang TV, she is THE most valuable thing we have far and above simply her "cost." When she was a puppy especially I worried someone would break in and grab her.

That's the one thing I worry about too. I haven't actually picked my pup up yet but I've already told my hubby a million times "you do NOT EVER tell anyone she is a pedigree and how much she cost if they ask" I'm really worry someone will have her to breed from and I love her too much already and I don't even have her yet. There are some odd people around and it's a odd question to ask...
We've had so much already when I say we have bought a bully girl pup either wow how much and is she a full pedigree or are you gonna breed her you can make over £10k a littler😱 I don't care about that she is to join our family with my two girls so I'll have three girls in just over a week.it frustrates me and I don't have her yet so god knows what it's gonna be like when she's with me out and about.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.