I hate people asking how much my dog cost.

stuartgerrard85

Oct 17, 2011
We walked fletcher for the 1st time a few weeks ago and a car pulled over and the couple got out and begged us to let him breed with there dog once he was older. They couldnt believe we were saying no. We always get the comment of thats an expensive dog and i just say i know!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I get this question a lot too and when I do I usually start going on and on about the price of good breeding, the cost of feeding them properly, and the cost of vet care, and yes, I do hope I discourage people! If someone truly wants a bully, I want them to be afraid of health issues and cost so that they will educate themselves on finding a responsible breeder or look for a rescue. And I want them to go into it with their financial eyes open so that later they aren't dumping their precious baby when they end up costing too much in vet bills. Call me crazy.....

When my mom met Gypsy and Gator she couldn't get the thought of owning a bully out of her head. So, what did I do?? I told her in graphic detail about the day to day care (including wiping butts) all of the wiping and cleaning, the vet visits for various health issues, the fact that they could have serious breathing problems and eye problems that would cost a lot of money to fix, the fact that they can't regulate their body temps like other dogs, that they had to have premium food or be raw fed, every tiny little "bad" thing I could think of. I spent HOURS making sure that she "got it". My step-dad asked her if I was trying to scare her away from them and her reply was that I wanted to make sure she was fully aware of what she was getting into so that I didn't inherit a dog (or two) because she was overwhelmed (yes, if she can't keep them, they come to me, period, even if I have 4 dogs already). And guess what, after months, she now has TWO and treats them like they are her babies :).

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
All I got's to say is.............I can'ts afford a nutter one. I'm already working for their supper. believe me when I say. my dogs have it better then alot of kids. :blush2:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
When people ask me how much Stig was I say 'Oh, not as much as other bullies. We got him on sale because he was the runt of the litter.' Sorta true, we did get a discount, only because there were only 2 left from 2 big litters the breeder just had.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I got asked this question again yesterday. The folks who ask are usually shady looking themselves so in MY mind, I'm thinking: "Oh...thinking of stealing my precious angel and reselling her on Craigslist or worse: trying to extort me for her safe return?" THEN my mind says, "OK. Relax, Sparkles. You're being paranoid." and then, I read a story like the one I posted on a previous thread about an extortion plot. The good news? They caught these creeps and if they don't get the book thrown at them, people around here will go berzerk. http://wishididntknow.com/2011/11/06/two-men-charged-with-attempting-ransom-of-stolen-bulldog-and-killing-the-bulldog/

Teresa

Oct 30, 2010
So. Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Frederick (Fred)
i am proud to tell everyone how much Fred cost ,to state if u get a low price Bulldog u r getting in deep with heath problems

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
My response usually is, 'much more than you could possibly afford'...with my nose up in the air. That shuts 'em up pretty good.

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
i tell them the truth, i traded a brand new 13 inch Macbook Air for my baby Snowy :)

i got the better deal all the way!

Kippah and Da Mamma

Nov 21, 2011
Central Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Kippah
I thoroughly agree, it is very rude I feel. Every once in awhile I have a person who really is looking to get a bulldog, but that is not the normal. Usually they ask what kind of dog it is, and then where she came from and how much.
I was so aggrivated one day at Petsmart I replied to "How much did that cost?" with this; I pointed to my 20 yr old son and said, 'he was $32,000 strait out of the hospital" pointing to my 15 yr old "She was $26,000 before getting her home from the hospital" and the baby (pointing to Kippah) was far less than that. All three are worth every cent!"
I wanted to point to their children and ask how much they cost, but I gave up and turned away.....rude? yeah, I was, but it is so irritating.
My kids are making me work on my people skills :yes:

DrewP

Jul 16, 2011
Pensacola, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
I have only had Hulk for 4 months, and it seems to be the first question out of everyone's mouth at Petsmart when we go shopping. I realize this is a very sought after and high quality breed. However, bringing up money to a stranger seems to be in bad taste to me. Even if they are a prospective owner. Just my 2c... but I do get tired of being asked... after only this short period of time.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.