I hate people asking how much my dog cost.

hooligan

Sep 27, 2011
It really aggravates me when strangers ask me how much my dog cost. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but it's really no ones damned buisness, but mine and my breeder how much my dog cost me. Today when someone asked me how much brixton was. I said "today he weighed in at 15.6 lbs and he is 10 weeks old". They had a puzzled look on their face.

-Loki

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I don't get that question as much as, "Are you going to breed them?" Then when I say no they always come back with, "you can make a lot of money." It makes it hard to just be proud of your fur baby when all people see is dollar signs.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Great topic [MENTION=3327]hooligan[/MENTION].

When someone asks me that question OR asks if Bea and Bo are going to have babies, I take the opportunity for some good ol' fashioned EB Education.

* breed? Oh no. It takes a great deal of experience to successfully breed EBs; they are typically born via cesarian for one thing.
* breed these two? They're siblings. Eww. (that's a lie)
* breeding? If you knew what went into getting a HEALTHY litter of these pups, you'd wonder why folks do it. It's best left to reputable breeders.
* expensive? sure they are - and there are MANY wonderful EBs at rescue that need good homes.
* expensive? Absolutely and the care and maintenance ain't cheap either. EBs are a commitment.
* How much did your puppy cost? EBs are spendy but when you know what goes into the birth of a healthy litter, you'd see why. These aren't labradoodles.
* How much did your puppy cost? I am grateful they are so spendy. It helps keep idiots who don't know what they're doing from getting a pup on a whim.

And my favorite:
* expensive? sure they are and so is a dream vacation to Bali. You have your dreams. I have mine.

LOL

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have been ask that several times over the years, then I get ask if it is expensive for the upkeep (like he is a car), My answer: Well they are not cheap to buy or raise, but it is my dream dog and worth evey cent I spend period, I have never told anyone what we spent. I am very nosy, but I would never ask someone what they paid for anything.

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
I have alot of people ask me that question. If the person asking is geniunely interested in getting a bulldog, I'll tell them what we paid and why we paid it. I either get a shocked look or one of understanding. But if the person is just being nosey and will have something smart to say, then I just give a generic answer of "I paid alot more than I would for your average breed". As Jack gets older, less people are asking me now.

KuttersMommy

Nov 10, 2011
Highlands, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Kutter (AKA KutterBug)
I totally understand what you guys are talking about! My baby is fawn (which apparently people see less than the brindle, because they always ask me if I paid more for his color).

These bullies are our CHILDREN. When people ask me about my Kutter, my only response is: Do you have kids? (And if the reply is yes, which it usually is..) I ask: Well how much did they cost?

They always give me a puzzled look. I come back with: It's comparable price-wise :)

Which is so true! Bullies are infants in a wrinkly furry body :heart:

Love,
Kayla & Kutter :heart:

Alicia M Kouw

Aug 15, 2011
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey and Louie
I totally understand what you guys are talking about! My baby is fawn (which apparently people see less than the brindle, because they always ask me if I paid more for his color).

These bullies are our CHILDREN. When people ask me about my Kutter, my only response is: Do you have kids? (And if the reply is yes, which it usually is..) I ask: Well how much did they cost?

My Zoey is fawn too and you are right it is a color that is not seen that much!!! I have skin kids but my bullies are my kids as well!!! They may be expensive but are worth EVERY peny I spend on them. We have 2 and we are going through some financial issues and a friend had came to my husband and he asked him "Well can't you sel one of your dogs for some money?" REALLY WTF those are my kids too!!! I was so ANGRY when I heard that he asked my husband that!!!

They always give me a puzzled look. I come back with: It's comparable price-wise :)

Which is so true! Bullies are infants in a wrinkly furry body

KuttersMommy

Nov 10, 2011
Highlands, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Kutter (AKA KutterBug)

My Zoey is fawn too and you are right it is a color that is not seen that much!!! I have skin kids but my bullies are my kids as well!!! They may be expensive but are worth EVERY peny I spend on them. We have 2 and we are going through some financial issues and a friend had came to my husband and he asked him "Well can't you sel one of your dogs for some money?" REALLY WTF those are my kids too!!! I was so ANGRY when I heard that he asked my husband that!!!

Which is so true! Bullies are infants in a wrinkly furry body

Aw! I'll have to go look at her pics :) I just LOVE fawn and white bullies!! But yeah, I would have been ticked off too! My fiancé and I are just starting out in our life, and still in college.. And so many people ask: Can you really afford that dog?

Ugh! It pushes my buttons lol I do whatever I can to make sure my baby has everything he needs.. The same as if I were to have a human baby.

People just don't understand us :)

Love,
Kayla & Kutter :heart:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
And my favorite:
* expensive? sure they are and so is a dream vacation to Bali. You have your dreams. I have mine.

LOL
That's a great response!!!

I don't really get questioned on how much. My boss asked me how much once and I just said he was enough. They got the hint :).

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
So many great responses on this subject...I get that question too and the crazy looks that go along with the fact that I'm not going to breed. It's like they just don't imagine the joy and love these bullies are capable of. Then they kind of freak out when I talk about them and just gush with so much love. They are my babies and are like my children too. I will never allow anyone to make me feel bad for what I spent on my babies because I earned that money and I spent it on what my heart desired most and for so long...finally my dream came true and I have what I've always wanted...NIGEL! and Karly too!

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Wow. Some good ideas here! I always feel a little nervous when people ask how much we paid for Lupe, especially around the neighborhood (a few blocks away is a part of town with, um, nice people who have a lot of questionable family members and fiends) Why do they want to know? More than my jewelry, the dang TV, she is THE most valuable thing we have far and above simply her "cost." When she was a puppy especially I worried someone would break in and grab her.

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Whenever people ask I just tell them you can't put a price on the special type of love you get from a bully. I remember telling a coworker once about Roscoe's many vet visits and her rolling her eyes and saying 'Well you can tell you don't have any kids with how you spoil him. I would never spend so much for just a dog'
Hrumph. Roscoe isn' just a dog- he's is my baby and I want him to have a happy, healthy life.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
This irritates me also. I tell them my Ruckus was adopted. I do let them know that they are a high maintenance breed and more than likely the purchase cost won't compare to the cost of maintaining them. That's when I get the "oh really?" Not that I'm trying to discourage, but people are clueless, which is why there are so many in rescues and shelters.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
ha ha My husband gets sooooooooooooooooooooo mad at me.. we always get nosy people at the park that ask how much we paid for Duke.. I told one lady who was obnoxious.. $10,000! ha ha ha ...... :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

and yes a lot of good responses here!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.