Walking?

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hey Everyone, its me again! I need some advice from the experts. Winston apparently hates going for walks. He will go outside do his business and then wants to go inside immediately he will just plop on the ground and not move, like a 30 pound anchor lol! Does this happen to anyone else? Do you have any tips on how to get him motivated to want to walk? I know its important for him to get exercise! Thanks in advance for the help! :yes:

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Ruckus does that sometimes too. I think he just wants to sunbathe lol!! That's the stubbornness of a bully, if he's not going where he wants, he's just not going. I use a clicker and treats w/ Ruckus which works well.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Maybe if you can get him interested in playing first..then move on to a walk! Throw a ball..tug a war..whatever perks his interest! One thing a friend of mine does..she takes her Bully in the car to a different place..like a park or explore our downtown area..seems her Waylon gets "bored" but he :love: new places!

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We don't have that problem but Ive heard others say that bribing them along with treats works... Don't know personally.

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Brooke likes walks...but I don't. I get bored. haha So we do a lot more playing. She LOVES to play keep away from me and my boyfriend with a ball outside. She sprints around like a crazy woman. Definately gets her plenty of exercise, she is totally pooped when we come in and usually grabs a drink and immediately plops on the couch for hours.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you all for the advice!! I will try to get him excited before we go for a walk! He does love new places, it seems if he gets somewhere he hasnt been before he loves to find out whats there, so I might try bringing him to places he hasnt been before, thanks again! :yes:

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Bruin usually won't get up to go out and lilly usually won't get up to come in (if the sun is out) I have to actually pick her up in order to get her to her feet (I have to do this a few times) Food doesn't really work for either of them :shout:

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Sorry I can't be any help either. Tubs likes to go for walks and gets excited to the point that he doesn't know how to pace himself!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Sorry, don't have any answers for ya. Mine like to go for leisurely walks. Every once in a while they pull a number on me and decide they don't want to move. You know...like a mule or donkey who's decided it ain't going any further. I just pull out my handy iPhone and start using my Tapatalk app. Once they realize I'm not going to push it, they start walking again. It's boring watching mommy on her iPhone. Heehee

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Tate didn't enjoy his walks when he was younger so I had to bribe him with treats. This is sort of what I learned in the puppy class we took at P.Smart...load them up with treats (click and treat, we used a clicker) just before you start walking so that he will associate walking with yummy treats! He's much better now with the walks and i hardly have to bribe him. Make sure the treats are delicious ones that Winston likes though; i used hotdogs and bologna and cheese for Tate. :)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola is 7 months and hates taking walks...mostly because I think she is afraid of city noises, even tho we live in residential area. I had a thread on it a while back if you want to take a read. she's getting better (mildly) and I hope that puppy classes will help socialize her into liking being outside more.
Toenails wearing down to the quick..on a short walk!
g
ood luck.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
ah yes the wonderful world of bullies. it's common...wait until you are walking along on a nice day and the leash gets tight....you look behind to see ur bullie laid out on the grass frog style, looking at u going hell to the no am i going another foot

Last edited:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Our walk is the highlight of Mack and Ruggles day. Getting fresh air and exercise is important in keeping Bulldogs healthy especially if you don't have other dog(s) or kids to play with. Our vet agrees that having Ruggles to play with and our daily walks certainly contribute to how well Mack is doing with his fused spine.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.