Walking?

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you so much for all of the input!! I will try the treats thing too! Winston makes me laugh so hard though because he will put up such a fight to go for the walk but as soon as you say Winston its time to go home he goes like a rocket ship lol! :shout: Hopefully he will get better with bribes!

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
I remember we used to have a really hard time walking Hudson. He just wouldn't. And then shortly after we changed his food from Eukanuba to Wellness, he just needed to walk. But I remember it being like a lightswitch. One day he just started walking.
But the days when he wouldn't. Uhg...you know when a bully doesn't want to go, they won't.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh boy do I (or should I say DID) feel your pain up until about a month ago. How old is Winston? When I got Wilson at 8 weeks I started walking with him in the house on his leash and always had treats. Then we went to the backyard and did the same thing. Quite often I was walking backwards in front of him enticing him with a yum yum. Then we moved the walk to outside. In the beginning we'd only go 30 feet or so and it was work. Me walking backwards bent over holding a yum yum in front of his face. I kept working with him all summer at home and when we were camping. Sometimes we go for longer walks and sometimes shorter - just depended on what he wanted to do. I let him have the range on how far since I wanted it to be a good experience. Did I say it was a lot of work? Sure I got frustrated a bit as he just wanted to go at his own pace and stopped and smelled the roses about every 2 feet. A 75' walk to my mailbox and back took about 25 minutes. :ROFL: He slowly improved and we went further and further. Usually always only a total of a mile, if that. Wilson's now 10 months and all of a sudden about 3 walks back he started jogging. I was stunned and he just kept on sprinting through the neighborhood and we went on a long walk. He tuckered out about 1/3 of the way back though. There was a time this past summer when we were camping and I took him for an early morning walk around the campsites. OMG did I about loose it. He didn't want to budge at one point on our walk and we had a ways to get back. I just wanted to drag him on his leash and sorta did. I lost my temper. I swore then that would never happen again. I have found that if he stops and doesn't want to budge that if I get stand behind him and nudge his butt he gets his groove back on. So far so good and our last walk this past weekend was outstanding. We, me and Wilson, and my husband and Jack, went all the way the middle school and went to the track and played. Wilson's gate was fast coming back too. He was like super dog. :D Now Wilson will never be able to go as far as my other pup Jack but that's ok, we can all walk together again now. Just keep plugging away little by little and hopefully one day your hard work will pay off like it did with me. Have treats that entice Winston at all times!! :)

Last edited:

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
We had the same problem with Aubrey. She would not budge on a leash for a walk. What we did was start inside. We put her on her leash and took her to the tile of the kitchen. We would walk away, kneel down, and lightly tug on her leash and tell her to come. At first we had to pull her to us, but after a few goods girls and treats she started walking to us on her own. Then we moved outside and would give her a treat when she came to us in her leash. Once she figured out it wasnt a punishment to be on it, she would walk on it fine. Just start out small, then work your way to full walks. It worked with my stubborn girl!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Bullie likes other dogs... especially her best friend Gizmo - my bichon. So, all we really have to do is walk Gizmo (who loves to jog) and Bullie follows. We also have 2 neighbors with 3 boxers between them. We yard-hop a lot getting all the dogs playing together... Bullie loves chasing after the boxers. Gizmo doesn't like that kind of play and would pull an alpha card if Bullie tries to play chase with him. We also go to the dog park a lot where Bullie chases other dogs too. So, between that and wrestling my husband, she gets a good amount of exercise, even if she'll only play hard for 5 minutes then plop on the ground to regain energy. Yeah, she can't walk more than a mile, otherwise, you'll be carrying her home... which we have done a few times... kinda funny to see my husband carrying a 60 lb dog... lol.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] - here too. Sometimes I take them separately also. The walk is the most important thing you can do with your dog, I've learned as it's your #1 opportunity to show pack leadership.

Lately, I've been working one on one with Bo who's afraid of this place in our complex where to loud labs live. Getting him to calmly walk by over pulling like mad and wanting to run by is a challenge! And it's really my fault because I let him get into the "habit" of running by. Nothing bad is happening...the dogs aren't eating him....just barking....but he has to trust that I have it under control. Bea isn't affected by it at all - oddly enough - and even her calm example isn't enough for him. He wants to GET BY THAT HOUSE DAMMIT! hahahahaha

Forgot to add:
Bea used to hate walks when she was a puppy. I used treats and "right here" (which is kinda like heel for us) to get her into the habit of walking beside me at a decent pace. She still plods along - because that's her way - and when she goes to a dead stop to smell a leaf or something, I have to "Unlock" her by gently pulling on the leash and waiting. Patience is key for this exercise and that's a challenge for ME.

Last edited:

LoveMyBullyBoy

Sep 12, 2011
Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Gravy
Gravy ~ L O V E S ~ to walk. When he sees that leash his eyes glass over & he loses it. He can barely be still for 2 seconds for me to hook his leash on his collar. And he is off as soon as the door opens. For the first few minutes he walks me! But once he calms down a bit he gets into a good pace & doesn't pull. We'll be walking more now since it's cooling off here, but it is soooo hot in GA during the summer I am terrified to walk him much at all.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
We'll be walking more now since it's cooling off here, but it is soooo hot in GA during the summer I am terrified to walk him much at all.
That's what early morning and after supper walks are for. :p I like to walk these two at dusk so I can peek into people's places and see their decor before they pull the curtains closed. I know. It's voyeristic - but I love to look at other people's places / layout / stuff. And since Be walks soooooo flippin' slow, I get a really GOOD LOOK......:lmao:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I like to walk these two at dusk so I can peek into people's places and see their decor before they pull the curtains closed. I know. It's voyeristic - but I love to look at other people's places / layout / stuff. And since Be walks soooooo flippin' slow, I get a really GOOD LOOK......:lmao:

HA... I do the same thing!! When we had Nitshcke he was like Be -- sllllloooooooow and gave opportunity for a long look

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I am so glad I'm not the only one with this issue! This weekend we tried enticing him with treats and he walked a little further...we also took him to a few new places in the complex and he loved it! It seems as if we make it "adventure" like he has a ball with it! You are all so much help I really appreciate it!!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Oh boy do I (or should I say DID) feel your pain up until about a month ago. How old is Winston? When I got Wilson at 8 weeks I started walking with him in the house on his leash and always had treats. Then we went to the backyard and did the same thing. Quite often I was walking backwards in front of him enticing him with a yum yum. Then we moved the walk to outside. In the beginning we'd only go 30 feet or so and it was work. Me walking backwards bent over holding a yum yum in front of his face. I kept working with him all summer at home and when we were camping. Sometimes we go for longer walks and sometimes shorter - just depended on what he wanted to do. I let him have the range on how far since I wanted it to be a good experience. Did I say it was a lot of work? Sure I got frustrated a bit as he just wanted to go at his own pace and stopped and smelled the roses about every 2 feet. A 75' walk to my mailbox and back took about 25 minutes. :ROFL: He slowly improved and we went further and further. Usually always only a total of a mile, if that. Wilson's now 10 months and all of a sudden about 3 walks back he started jogging. I was stunned and he just kept on sprinting through the neighborhood and we went on a long walk. He tuckered out about 1/3 of the way back though. There was a time this past summer when we were camping and I took him for an early morning walk around the campsites. OMG did I about loose it. He didn't want to budge at one point on our walk and we had a ways to get back. I just wanted to drag him on his leash and sorta did. I lost my temper. I swore then that would never happen again. I have found that if he stops and doesn't want to budge that if I get stand behind him and nudge his butt he gets his groove back on. So far so good and our last walk this past weekend was outstanding. We, me and Wilson, and my husband and Jack, went all the way the middle school and went to the track and played. Wilson's gate was fast coming back too. He was like super dog. :D Now Wilson will never be able to go as far as my other pup Jack but that's ok, we can all walk together again now. Just keep plugging away little by little and hopefully one day your hard work will pay off like it did with me. Have treats that entice Winston at all times!! :)
Winston is 5 months!! :) I'm so glad to hear you can all walk together now!! :)

Last edited:

Theozzmandpg

Oct 27, 2011
Our Daisy likes to go on walks but if we have walked a little to far for her, she decided to take a "union break." She lays down relaxes on her side and doesn't want to move. We break out the water and treats, finish out the "union break" and tell her lets go, then she starts up. I would start training your dog with commands for the walk, like "lets go". When Daisy hears that she knows it is time to get a move on.

Theozzmandpg

Oct 27, 2011

When i read this it made me think of Daisy. On some walks we take she is constantly pulling the leash tight, then turns when she feels the tug, slows down, lags behind, speeds up, hits the end of the leash, rinse and repeat. I found that at times, we walk too slow for her. So she started pulling so i sped up, she went faster, i sped up, she went faster, im jogging, she is trotting, im running, she is keeping up, I'm sprinting, she is sprinting. At that point I lasted about a min or two(out of shape :( ) then we stopped to wait for mom and our pug ozzy. I was laughing my backside off, huffing and puffing and Daisy was more excited then I have ever seen her licking me and dancing around. So make sure you watch your dogs speed as you go, you might be going to slow even though your bully looks like a rock with legs. On a side note, i think i have a jogging buddy.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
When i read this it made me think of Daisy. On some walks we take she is constantly pulling the leash tight, then turns when she feels the tug, slows down, lags behind, speeds up, hits the end of the leash, rinse and repeat. I found that at times, we walk too slow for her. So she started pulling so i sped up, she went faster, i sped up, she went faster, im jogging, she is trotting, im running, she is keeping up, I'm sprinting, she is sprinting. At that point I lasted about a min or two(out of shape :( ) then we stopped to wait for mom and our pug ozzy. I was laughing my backside off, huffing and puffing and Daisy was more excited then I have ever seen her licking me and dancing around. So make sure you watch your dogs speed as you go, you might be going to slow even though your bully looks like a rock with legs. On a side note, i think i have a jogging buddy.

There's a great video on YouTube from user KIKOPUP that answers the question: "Is your dog a YOYO?" Bo is - and it's maddening. We're working on it using a variation on the technique the trainer KIKOPUP uses in her video. We're making some nice headway too! It's exciting to see him walk like a normal dog. hahahaha Oh he relapses for sure - but we are a work in progress!

Most Reactions