How did your bully do when you moved??

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
We are moving into our new home this week, I am super excited!! But I am also a little scared of how Vegas is going to be. He has only lived in the house were in since the day we got him over 2 years ago. I am afraid it is going to put his OCD in overdrive.

I know several of you have moved within the last year or so, and I was wondering if your bully adjusted nicely or was there any problems that I should look for??
Thanks

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
We haven't moved, but when we got Ruckus from his previous owner he adjusted fine. He was only 6months old. I was worried that he would have accidents because of all the new smell and being nervous but he was fine,

KristinMarie

Jul 30, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Hi there! We just moved 3 weeks ago. We had lived in the previous home for 2 years and brought Rocco home from the breeder. He adjusted just fine! Just needed to find his new pee/poo spot right away - so we focused on this as soon as we brought him home. He does go to a dog sitter pretty frequently (1 to 2 times a month) due to my business travel and he loves her place since he can play with all his other furry friends. The first time he stayed with her he didn't poop for 4 days and this caused a big backup (literally) that took almost a week to resolve. After that - no worries.

One trick that might work for you that worked for us is to bring some poop from his old spot to his new spot so he can smell his scent. We did this at the dog sitter and it worked great. He poops at that spot now - no problem.

Sorry to hear he has some OCD. Hope that doesn't get worked up. Good luck and keep us posted!
Kristin

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] When Winston was still alive I brough him to the house when it was empty and let him investigate. Then I let him help us move. He followed me from the car to the new house and back. If you get a chance try that.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
WE didn't move but Princess Gracie moved here to rule in Aug. 2010. Nooooo problems whatsoever..... but she, as you know, is super laid back. Im confident that Vegas will adjust quickly.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson never seems to be negatively affected in anyway to a move. We have lived in 5 different places in his 5.5 years of life so it may be that he is just used to a changing environment.

Well I guess there is one thing I can point out, all the craziness of our last move may have gotten to Samson and Loki a bit. We had quite a few boxes stacked up in our living room of our old apartment, which is where the pups spent the majority of their time and they chewed the corners of some of the boxes and ALL FOUR corners of our coffee table during that time. It was totally out of character so we attributed it to stress because of everything going on. That move was definitely more stressful for us than the others in the past because I bought this last time.

I think Vegas will be fine! Samson has his own OCD issues too and other than what I previously mentioned he adjusted just fine. I really never did anything special to help him adjust so not sure what to suggest.

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
we moved in april and it went well. At first he was confused about new noise but other then that he was great. I really think as long as you are there they dont really mind or care.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Cutty didnt flinch when we moved at all. While I came out and painted he came and investigated the empty house and enjoyed the backyard. Coming from an apartment I think he thought he was in heaven. ;)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] When Winston was still alive I brough him to the house when it was empty and let him investigate. Then I let him help us move. He followed me from the car to the new house and back. If you get a chance try that.

I love this idea; bringing him to the house before the move. Then, he'll be like, "Oh, I've been here before...". That way, he can poo/pee while you're there "visiting" .... you know, christen the place! Making sure his bed/blankie/crate moves WITH him (and not in a separate box that cannot easily be located right away) so he has his own space to chill if all the activity is a bit too much.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Since we have had Frank, we've moved 3 times. Two in town, then most recently across country. The last move was the hardest, since there was no way we could introduce him gently to his new surroundings. Plus he has gotten progressively more OCD-like as he has gotten older. It took him about a month to adjust to our new house. There were quite a few accidents, several which were obviously deliberate acts of defiance (He poo'd on the rug right in front of me!). Also, I am a slow unpacker as I like to organize things along the way and I noticed he would get really upset if I was unpacking a box. I think he associated it with us packing up, which really worried him of course. Now he is perfectly comfortable in his new home! I think it won't be that bad since there are so many familiar things which are coming with you (like Vegas' new couch -lol!-, his stinky monkey, his crate, bedding, etc.). Plus he is gonna love having the run of his new yard!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks has only known this house.... but Nitschke was with us a year before the house and he absolutely no issue with the transition

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I noticed he would get really upset if I was unpacking a box. I think he associated it with us packing up, which really worried him of course.

I used to travel occasionally for work and Mable - and then later, Bea - would both get uber whacked when they saw the suitcase come out. hahahahaha

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
Hudson did great with the move we made, but he was pretty young. We moved him in his crate - put it in the back of our father-in-law's truck (don't worry it was five minute and he was fully ventilated)We've also moved 2 fosters so far and they do pretty well. I think it's all in trying to keep consistant rules and a few familiar things.Good luck!! Hope you have good weather and a safe, easy move!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.