cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Why is my little one such a cranky boy? I got both boys ready for their walk, put their harnesses on and as we head out the door Finn starts growling and bearing his teeth at Tate. When that happened i made Finn sit still before proceeding; once Finn calmed down, we started walking again and then before i knew it, Finn attacks Tate, starting a full blown fight.:cursing:

I brought Finn back inside, put him in his crate, and then took Tate out by himself for his walk. Tate seemed so happy and free to be walking w/out Finn by his side, I noticed. We went around the block, and my intent was to then take Finn out for a walk with me alone. Turns out we three headed back out again and the walk was fine and uneventful.

Then, this evening after dinner Finn once again starts another fight w/Tate. Finn is now in his crate for another time out.

Do you think this is just Finn's personality or is he an unhappy bully? it worries me b/c i don't want my boy to be unhappy and i'm trying to see if i can find things that trigger Finn's outbursts. It's just not obvious to me at the moment. Many times the boys will play very well together, and they can also be quite loving w/one another...but then the dark side appears and bam! a fight...

anyone have any insight to this? it just frustrates and saddens me when the two fight like that.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
too bad you can't guilt them into being nice like my mom did with me and my brother....when you two fight, it hurts ME, do you really want to hurt your mother!?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Seems like he wants to be top dog...and I bet Tate doesn't care! Problem is..Finn is going about it in a non acceptable way. You did the right thing. I always let Dena go in and out first..every chance I get..I try to let Jake know being "a bully"..doesn't cut it. I know my Dena..like Tate..doesn't care WHO is top dog...but I do! Eventually..I bet Finn can learn his brother is off limits. You will be the top dog....

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They are still young and teenagers if you will, and they will go through this for awhile, just keep doing like you are doing and let Finn know this behavior is unacceptable and he will eventually get it. Lucy and BeBe did the same thing, but now that they are older they get along fine, except when BeBe goes into heat then we watch them close because she gets a little testy. I can usually tell when she is wanting to start a fight and stop it before it starts. I just watch her posture and the way she holds her ears around Lucy. Good luck with the boys and keep it up.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
thanks guys!

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], i'm encouraged when you mention that they're "teenagers", and hopefully this is a phase that Finn will grow through as he matures. That's what i was telling myself too...they are both still young and like [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said, Finn is wanting to be "top dog" and i believe he's testing his way through this every chance he gets w/Tate.

I'm also glad to hear that this is "normal". Sometimes i just want to blame myself and the way i'm raising them...i know it sounds silly...so it's reassuring to hear about others' experiences.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
David gives great advice, as does Becky. Hang in there Henny and continue to be the top dog. This is why I call my guys "Hooligans" right now. I have been constantly breaking them up since the beginning. I haven't had the aggression issues though - Jack gets a hold of Wilson and grabs his big folds at this neck below his ears and pulls him, thus taking fur and some skin away. I watch the two play and if Jack gets out of control, I step in and I'm not nice about it. Sometimes it's just a quick NO and yank he gets and other times he's a full submit to the ground he goes.

I'm sure Tate enjoy his solo walk. It's good to take them individually as well as together on walks. I do that all the time. Stay tough my friend!!! :hug:

Last edited:

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
My two do that off and on. Lola wants to be top dog and Mojo could care less. I think you are doing the right thing.

This too shall pass....lol I sure hope so

My skin girls used to fight all the time. I finally had to tell them to take it outside. lol

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.