Boarding for 2 nights

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
Hello all,
The time has finally come where neither my wife or I will be home for 2 nights and we will need to board our Wally for 2 nights. We've boarded him before for one night and he's been fine, other than being very tired (and getting Kennel Cough, but that's another story).
My question is whether I need to worry about him being exhausted. Doing 2 nights in a row means a full day of activity, sleeping in the kennel, followed by another full day of activity and another night in the kennel. It's a great day care but I don't think he gets any sleep at night as he's used to sleeping with us so I'm worried about him going for 2 days and nights with very little sleep. The main question is, will he know to regulate himself and rest when he needs to? I feel silly worrying about this but what can I say, I worry about a lot of silly things. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You aren't alone! We all worry about the " boarding issue!" do they put him in a crate or small pace to sleep? I'd think with his familiar bed and/or blanket..he will sleep..but bet his butt will be dragging when he comes home!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I am no help having never boarded but can you ask them to give him a few time outs during the day so he can chill in his crate?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I know what you mean about boarding, I just don't do it anymore, if at all possible. There is a pet sitter close by that comes to our house 4 times a day to feed and let them out and spends a little time with them each time. I guess I don't trust kennels to care for my bullies the way they should be taken care of, heard too many horror stories. But about him sleeping, he should sleep at night when he gets tired.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I think Wally will do great. For Stig's overnight stays, the schedule is set-up that he stays in daycare for 2 days and 1 night. So it's 1 full day of playing, then sleep overnight, then another full day of playing, and we pick him up on the 2nd night. He snoozes right when he's inside the car. lol. He's an all day player, which is what Wally, I think, will be. I was worried in the start too but realized that he takes time for himself if he's overly tired.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
we spoke to our boarding place about our boys prior to boarding. we always use the same place and they love it. they have someone in the play areas at all times watching the dogs so if they see the boys getting to hot they know to remove them and put them in their sleep area until they cool down. they are very very cautious with the boys. they have access to water at all times and we can monitor them online. they come home and usually sleep for 24 hours or more after

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
I am going through a similar situation. We are going away in January for a week on a Disney Cruise. This is the first time we will be leaving our little man and I am very nervous. We went to visit the kennel last weekend and it was very crowed. I am hoping it won't be as crowed when we go away. As soon as someone walks into the room where the dogs are they all start barking. I don't know how he will handle this. I am also concerned about cleaning and care. We got information regarding the day care because they walk them 4 times a day just to go to the bathroom and then they are back in their kennel. I don't want him to have to sit in his Kennel all day. We can also watch things on the computer, but being out at sea is going to make it difficult to keep in contact. I wish I could be more help!

OP
pdac1975

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
Thanks all this helps. We are planning on boarding him at the place where he goes to day care just because he's familiar with it. There is another place that's more of a resort where the dogs get their own rooms instead of a crate and the play time is much more supervised. You can also watch your dog over the web there.
We just didn't want to risk introducing him to a new place but maybe next time.
Thanks again.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks all this helps. We are planning on boarding him at the place where he goes to day care just because he's familiar with it. There is another place that's more of a resort where the dogs get their own rooms instead of a crate and the play time is much more supervised. You can also watch your dog over the web there. We just didn't want to risk introducing him to a new place but maybe next time. Thanks again.
He can come stay at our house! Wally has long been a favorite! :yes:

OP
pdac1975

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
He can come stay at our house! Wally has long been a favorite! :yes:
Thanks JAKEISGREAT! If you didn't live on the other side of the country I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online