wondering about collar sizes and how big your fully grown bullies necks are?

hooligan

Sep 27, 2011
I want to get brixton a nice leather collar for xmas. He just turned 10 weeks today and has a 13" neck. He'll be 4 months around xmas and I was wondering if I should get him a 15-21" collar. Or if he's gonna get a lot bigger I could get him a 17-23" collar. I think I could punch an extra hole in it so that he can wear it on xmas day if he's only 15". What do you guys think? Brixton was the largest in his litter. How big are the big boys necks around this neighborhood.

-Loki

Suzy2

Apr 24, 2011
Accrington Northern England
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter & Winston
At 4 months I used a 16"-19", they are both now 22" though Dexter is only 15 months so I expect he will increase another inch or so. Although both dogs are larger than average.

Kristin

Oct 31, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
George
George is 6.5 months (39 lbs) and his neck is 18.5 inches. We no longer use a collar for George. The only reason we bought a collar was to put his dog tags on them. I personally do not feel it is good to use a lead on a collar to walk a bully. They already have sensitive/compromised airways and one tug could cause scar tissue that will have a huge impact on their breathing for the rest of their life. My husband and I started hooking George's tags to his harness after I left him alone for 10 minutes to take a shower and someone thought they would walk him but were too lazy to put his harness back on him (i had it off to brush him) and hook his lead/leash to his collar and took him for a walk. Well George is a puppy and hyper so he was pulling. This person knew that it is recommended to not use a collar and did it anyway, well I was frustrated and re-educated the person and no longer use the collar. I hope this info helps. I always explain it to people as, "try breathing out of a straw while blocking both nostrils, then pinch the straw every now and then to represent the dog tugging the collar pushing in on his trachea (wind pipe)." Most of breeders we talked to and the books that we read before getting George told us to never use a collar to use for walking, to always use a harness so we have. I hope this helps.

Most Reactions