Help for rowdy behavior? bizarre.

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Hi!

Penny has been having some super wild behavior at times. As our obedience teacher said she is entering her "adolescence." :lmao:

We don't always have time after class to talk to the teacher, so I wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas.

We have two new things going on:

1) I just took Penny out to :poo: & it reminded me. After she goes, she used to RUN back to the house. The last few times I have taken her, she is now diving at my feet, hanging off my pant legs, & jumping/nipping. I actually have a bruise on my leg where she nipped my leg yesterday. I stop, make her sit and calm down, and then try to walk again. Then she starts all over like a maniac.

2) When she starts to get tired, she jumps on & off of the couch repeatedly. We are really trying to keep her OFF of the couch. She does fine otherwise, but it seems to happen when she is tired (or so we think this is the cause). Normally, if we sit on the floor with her or put her blanket down she will settle. Not lately. Sunday, she actually jumped up on the couch & nipped me on the face (broke skin near the inside corner of my eye!):cursing: We do a squirt bottle & my other thought was coins in a can since it would be something different.

Any suggestions or ideas why this is starting? It's not acceptable, so we need to figure out how to nip it before it becomes habit.

Otherwise, she is doing fabulous with obedience training.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Chances are she doesn't know she's hurting you when she bites.

The way we've dealt with biting in our house is to immediately pull out the pack leader card, say No, in a firm calm voice and stop all activity then redirect. For example, if she tries to go on the couch, say NO in a firm voice while maintaining eye contact, stop any activity (so she knows this is not a game), then redirect her to the floor with a toy or a favorite blanket.

Some folks in EBN do something different - like yelping ouch in doggie talk and stopping all activity.

Adolescence usually means a lot more energy - so if she's wanting to play after a poop, that's probably why she's nipping your heels. Do the NO (or the yelp) if she nips with eye contact, stop all activity, then redirect with play time. Unless you don't want to play then you can just walk her back home and give her a toy to play with at home.

The main thing is to let her know biting is not acceptable but still maintain positive reinforcement.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I found that Jake has definitely gone through different "modes of personality"!! He will go wild and for no discernible reason! We correct the jumping and nipping..the wild man couch behavior is something I'm certain will pass. We let him on the couch so maybe he is trying to kick US off the furniture! :eek:

candib7227

May 27, 2010
Massachusetts
Bulldog(s) Names
George
My Bully does the same exact thing, runs at me after he goes potty and jumps at me, pulls my pants. I believe it is an energy thing. A burst of energy. When he does that, I tell him " no" "sit", "wait, when he calms down a bit we walk again then repeat, lol.
He also "acts up " when he is tired. Runs around like a crazy dog, get in trouble etc....that is when I know he ready for bed !

Hi!

Penny has been having some super wild behavior at times. As our obedience teacher said she is entering her "adolescence." :lmao:

We don't always have time after class to talk to the teacher, so I wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas.

We have two new things going on:

1) I just took Penny out to :poo: & it reminded me. After she goes, she used to RUN back to the house. The last few times I have taken her, she is now diving at my feet, hanging off my pant legs, & jumping/nipping. I actually have a bruise on my leg where she nipped my leg yesterday. I stop, make her sit and calm down, and then try to walk again. Then she starts all over like a maniac.

2) When she starts to get tired, she jumps on & off of the couch repeatedly. We are really trying to keep her OFF of the couch. She does fine otherwise, but it seems to happen when she is tired (or so we think this is the cause). Normally, if we sit on the floor with her or put her blanket down she will settle. Not lately. Sunday, she actually jumped up on the couch & nipped me on the face (broke skin near the inside corner of my eye!):cursing: We do a squirt bottle & my other thought was coins in a can since it would be something different.

Any suggestions or ideas why this is starting? It's not acceptable, so we need to figure out how to nip it before it becomes habit.

Otherwise, she is doing fabulous with obedience training.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is two and a half and still does the "victory" run after he poops!! He does not nip, but he is a wildman. Jumping up on the couch which he is NOT allowed, he is allowed on the loveseat. He does this to be a flat out brat!! I don't know why but I have read many post that their bullys including mine gets VERY excited after a poop!?!?!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
lmao@this thread :lmao:

Bea does a little "victory dance" after a crap. I liken it to: "I FEEL TEN POUNDS LIGHTER! WEEEEEEEE!" It may also be a habitual response to the enthusiastic "GOOD GIRL" she's heard since infancy, everytime her bowels move. hahahahahaha Maybe she's saying: "I AAAMMMMM A GOOD GURL!"

Bo is 11 months old and has occasional "crazy doggy" outbursts. Running through the house and acting like a maniac. I don't do anything about it because he's not hurting anything or anyone when he does it. Besides, Bea does enough scolding for the both of us. She's too much of a fuddy duddy to put up with THAT outlandish nonsense. hahahahahaha

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Vegas is two and a half and still does the "victory" run after he poops!! He does not nip, but he is a wildman. Jumping up on the couch which he is NOT allowed, he is allowed on the loveseat. He does this to be a flat out brat!! I don't know why but I have read many post that their bullys including mine gets VERY excited after a poop!?!?!

So does my 94 year old Mother-In-Law!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some good advise above. I think they all go through this growing up, I know ours did. You just have to be patient and stern with them to make them learn no biting. This will pass as long as you stay with the training and let them know it is not allowed.

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
I had to laugh when i read the part about Penny going outside to :poo:. My daughter complains every time she takes Tubs out because after he :poo: he attacks her feet! I read her your post and we both started laughing....I told her she can relax now because it is a bulldog thing! :D

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I had to laugh when i read the part about Penny going outside to :poo:. My daughter complains every time she takes Tubs out because after he :poo: he attacks her feet! I read her your post and we both started laughing....I told her she can relax now because it is a bulldog thing! :D

lol...well it IS nice to know we're not alone. It was SO weird....just out of the blue she was hanging off my pant legs like a wild woman!

P.S. Are you an SLP?

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
lmao@this thread :lmao:

Bo is 11 months old and has occasional "crazy doggy" outbursts. Running through the house and acting like a maniac. I don't do anything about it because he's not hurting anything or anyone when he does it.

Yes, we definitely don't mind the "zoomies" as we call it around our house! Just the maniac jumping at me outside & on the couch is.not.cool.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION] - something interesting happened last night with Bo. I was sitting in my computer chair on EBN (naturally) and I was "talking" to Bo. Not real high pitched, excited talk - but more like baby talk. He was basking in the attention when I saw his brain step right over the line to TOO EXCITED and he starts mouthing my arm, hand -- even my boob. (Well, it was on the floor, in his way so whatya gonna do?) I did a verbal correction and he stopped - not immediately, but pretty close. Maybe Penny's trigger for crazy dog is excitement of some kind? If she's getting enough exercise already from the walk, maybe you can use these outbursts as a leadership exercise?

Just a thought!
OH and I'm kidding about the boob. I'm 50 - not 100. bwahahahaha

beachbumjen

Jun 9, 2011
By the beach
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
@MissPennyLue - Along with the other great advice, try growling, like you are the momma dog. It really works for me if Stella starts to "mouth" my husband's hands when he's playing with her (she doesn't do that to me, lol) or if she does any other undesirable behavior. I do that and she stops in her tracks, then we redirect and praise.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online