Picky eater...what?

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hello- For almost a year Lola has been happy with Fromm Dog food, but lately (about a month ago) she acts as if she isn't interested & her stools are really soft. Typically when I feed her, it's the happiest moment on earth but recently she's lost her excitement. I have been adding Buffelo Blue to the Fromm to start the 'switch' but she's not interested in that either. Is this normal? She's a year old now so I don't know if that has anything to do w/it? She's not sick either, she eats but she went from devouring her food to eating here & there throughout the day. She still loves treats, is very active, & drinks plenty of water, it's just her intreats that I'm concerned about. Has anyone else experienced this?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nitschke did the same thing.. as a puppy he could not get to his food fast enough... then around 1 - 1/12 he lost interest, which was around the time we found out about his allergies.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Buddy does the same thing. When he was younger he ate like a horse, then when he got about 2 years old he became a very picky eater.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would be concerned that she swallowed something or is not feeling well, especially if the behavior started abruptly.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I'd be concerned that she has ingested something (toy, sock, etc) that is causing a partial blockage. Is she throwing up? Our vet. said a foreign object wouldn't stay in a dog's stomach for a month, but Ruggles proved him wrong when a month after my grandson's beany wormy went missing Ruggles puked it up!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'd be concerned that she has ingested something (toy, sock, etc) that is causing a partial blockage. Is she throwing up? Our vet. said a foreign object wouldn't stay in a dog's stomach for a month, but Ruggles proved him wrong when a month after my grandson's beany wormy went missing Ruggles puked it up!

Tidus threw up the head of a toy 2 weeks after I knew he got it. It was very small so I was not worried, but it never digested. Apparently it was not small enough to go through!

OP
LolaLove

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Allergies? Oh no! To what? Did he have any other symptoms?

Last edited:
OP
LolaLove

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], I thought of that too, but she still eats, drinks, plays, is totally normal. She eats the food it just takes her longer & she seems uninterested. Almost like when a kid doesn't want to eat their veggies. I am super cautious about toys & her swallowing them so I'm positive she didn't swallow anything weird. It's just weird.

OP
LolaLove

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
[MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] oh no! That's terrible! I watch Lola's toys super closely so I am certain she didn't anything weird. She's not throwing up either & if by some chance she did-it would of came up by now or she'd be really sick right? I'm stumped! I've thought about taking her to the vet but she has no 'real' symptoms. She's eating, drinking, playing, pooping just as normal. That's why I'm thinking it's her food?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well my dogs will get tired of their food sometimes. just dont want to eat it anymore. i think its normal. have you tried giving her some chicken or hamburger? if she eats it up like mad you will know its probably the food. or you can try another brand. or canned food as a topper to entice eating. mine expect some canned rubbed on their food to eat. good luck hope she starts eating soon. if it continues and she doesnt want to eat anything then id say a vet visit it in order.

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
I have a picky eater also! Layla will look at her food and looj at me like "Really...dog food?!?!" I put a teaspoon of pumpkin in her food and she LOVES it. It also helps with her poo and is full of vitamins. I have also used Nupro. Its a supplement that you mix with water to make a "gravy" She loves both

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=1700]LolaLove[/MENTION] I still feed him FROMM pork and applesauce, sometimes he will eat a little in the morning and the rest in the afternoon and sometimes he will not eat in the morning at all and eat in the afternoon, I guess just what mood he's in that day. Sometimes we will put some scrambled eggs or Feta cheese in he food and he eats iy all up.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama Allergies? Oh no! To what? Did he have any other symptoms?

He was allergic to RICE.... which we were feeding him as part of the bland diet to keep his tummy settled. after the test results came back -- we then changed his food and within a few days he was doing great. Other symptoms, were pink face and runny eyes

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.