When is it too cold for our bullies to be outside?

LolaBear

May 13, 2011
Hi there!! I live in NJ and the weather has been a bit nuts lately. Some days it's freezing other days it's warm. When do you think it's too cold for a bulldog to be outside? Lola loves been in the backyard but there is a lot of shade so it can get chilly back there. I never leave her out in the winter but don't know what to do this Fall!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Well, i'm from SoCal, so my answer would be anywhere in the upper 50's (in farenheit). I know, don't laugh, but that is too cold for ME to go out! You will probably get better answers from folks who know what real cold is! :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Seattle area here - so I'm not a good guide on this either. We have very moderate weather. But I agree: when it's too cold for us, it's too cold for them.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
actually i dont know. i have had sarah out in cold weather like 30 and she was fine. she has been out in the snow and she loves it. i not sure if it was 30 but 35 maybe. she loves the colder weather.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
I'm also in NJ and I can tell you Ruckus is loving this weather, although I'm a bit chilly. Of course he ( like all bullys) doesn't do well in the heat, and he hates the rain, wind and snow, so this is perfect for him. The combine is going today and he thought the dust from the beans was snow so he ran me back to the covered porch LOL!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You should see the video and pics [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] posted. She lives in Colorado and her Wilson and his big brother Jack..love the snow! :hmm:.. But then again...Wilson loves :poo:... :eek:... I think if you are out with her..she will be fine..everything in moderation..and make sure she's warmed up when she comes in!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
We're from N.E. Oregon and it does get cold here. We take our boys for a walk everyday unless there is a strong, cold wind or it is pouring down rain. They love snow. Both Mack and Ruggles have lived their whole life in cold country. We have a pet door for them to go in and out, and being the creatures of comfort they are, they don't stay outside if they get too hot or too cold.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We live in southern Texas and it does not get cold here very much but it does get in the twenty and teens every once in a while. When it's that cold we do not leave them out very long, just like the hot weather. It's out to do their business and right back in. We have a wet cold here so it seems colder than when there is low humidity. If it's in the forties they like to play outside but we limit their time. In the snow and ice I would protect their paws because they can get too cold and damage their paws. Kind of like us going bare foot in the snow, you can do it for a little while but not for long. People that live up north with bullies can answer this better than me.

Here is what I found on the internet about bullies and cold weather.

English bullies have extremely short coats and should not be left out in cold weather for long periods of time. This would make them extremely susceptible to getting sick and any kind of infection that affects the respiratory tract can be devastating or even fatal to this breed. Hypothermia is another potentially fatal risk that they could fall prey to all to easily.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We are in PA... both my bullies do great in the fall weather -- anything below 20 and they are hard to get outside. They love the snow and HATE the rain. But, ya know, everything is good in moderation -- let him out but keep an I on the time.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
You should see the video and pics @JeannieCO posted. She lives in Colorado and her Wilson and his big brother Jack..love the snow! :hmm:.. But then again...Wilson loves :poo:... :eek:... I think if you are out with her..she will be fine..everything in moderation..and make sure she's warmed up when she comes in!
Yes Wilson and his big Brother Jack LOVE the snow, so much I have to make them come in since they just want to stay out and either play in it or eat the snow and ice. I put a sweater on Jack but Wilson is fine. I let them go out when it's 30 out but I don't let them stay out too long by themselves. Just keep and eye on Lola and put a sweater on her if you think it's too cold and she'll be fine. Like Alice said, they know when it's too cold or hot, usually. We have a pet door to and when it's gotten too cold for them to be out I have to close it because out they go. :D

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes Wilson and his big Brother Jack LOVE the snow, so much I have to make them come in since they just want to stay out and either play in it or eat the snow and ice. I put a sweater on Jack but Wilson is fine. I let them go out when it's 30 out but I don't let them stay out too long by themselves. Just keep and eye on Lola and put a sweater on her if you think it's too cold and she'll be fine. Like Alice said, they know when it's too cold or hot, usually. We have a pet door to and when it's gotten too cold for them to be out I have to close it because out they go. :D

And Becky, Wilson said he'd like to give you a nice bit squishy kiss. :laugh: Love ya :walk:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
27 outside right now and Wilson was just sitting on the deck enjoying the morning. He came in about 5 minutes later. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.