Buster INHALES his food!

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
Hey everybody! So pretty simple question. Buster eats really fast, probably too fast for his own good. Today he threw up after eating and most of his kibble was unchewed :\ I've heard of bowls and such that essentially force him to slow down. Anybody else have or had this problem and what did you guys do about it? Thanks in advance!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
If allowed, my Jack will down 2 cups of dry Kibble in about 15 seconds....

What I do is pour about 1-1/2 cups of water over the kibble and it slows him down..
He's at about 45 seconds now to finish the 2 cups :rofl:

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
There are special bowls that will slow them down, some have a raised center and some have little compartments.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..my Jake was soo bad at this..he threw up and acted like he couldn't breathe. I got a feeding ball off Amazon that goes in his bowl and he has to eat around it while it moves so he HAS to slow down! Has worked beautifully! They have slow feeding bowls too..but most of them were plastic and I really wanted to stick with stainless. It's important for you to do something because this could possibly lead to bloat and that;s very serious..in fact some dogs have died....good news is..its an easy and cheap fix!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Here's a fruggle fix...

Give him half a cup m wait a minute and then give him another 1/2 cup, wait another minute and give him another....

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo is a gulper here too. It's terrible how quickly he can devour his food. Once time, as a little pup, he almost choked to death on kibble. He lost air and was getting dizzy....like gonna fall down right? I quickly went down his throat with my finger and saved the day. This slowed him down a BIT - but not much. Now I add water to his food and make a gravy with canned duck (we're on a new food regimen again) and that helps too. Gravy probably also provides for a bit of lubricant for the food to slide down too. Every little bit helps. The slow feed bowls are pretty inexpensive - even at my high dollar store here - and you can get them on Amazon.com too. Good luck!!!

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
Here's a fruggle fix...

Give him half a cup m wait a minute and then give him another 1/2 cup, wait another minute and give him another....

We've been doing this to help solve another issue. With kids in the house, its important that Jack gets touched alot while feeding and gets used to having hands in his bowl. Not that the kids ever put their hands in his bowl, but you just never know if it could/would happen. After I've measured his portion out, I'll take a few bits of it in my hand and put in his bowl and let him know my hand is there. This process slows his eating down plus teaches him its okay to be touched while eating.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
We've been doing this to help solve another issue. With kids in the house, its important that Jack gets touched alot while feeding and gets used to having hands in his bowl. Not that the kids ever put their hands in his bowl, but you just never know if it could/would happen. After I've measured his portion out, I'll take a few bits of it in my hand and put in his bowl and let him know my hand is there. This process slows his eating down plus teaches him its okay to be touched while eating.

Another FABULOUS idea! Someone here was having issues with protective at mealtimes....who was that? This would be a good idea for her too.

OP
A

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
ooh good ideas! I'll have to look around because he definitely eats way too fast. I'll have to head down to the pet store and see what i can find. I'll report back with my findings!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have that issue with Banks.... added water to the food and it slowed her down

Donna LeBlanc

Jul 7, 2011
East Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Punkie Brewster
We free feed and have since our furkids were pups. With free feeding there is never any gulping. With smoosh faces you can never be too careful when it comes to a choking hazard like gulping food. Bloat is also a very serious and sometimes deadly thing to be considered when discussing gulping food. One way to prevent gulping and continue to use stainless bowls is to purchase another stainless bowl (next size or two smaller) and turn it upside down in your Bullie's food bowl and then add the kibble around the upside down bowl. The upside down bowl will become an "obstacle" that he will have to eat around which will slow him down considerably. Hope this helps...good luck and happy weekend! :D

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Ruggles inhales his food also. Even when I feed him 1 kibble at a time he swallows it without chewing. [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] will the feeding ball encourage him to chew?

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Yes..my Jake was soo bad at this..he threw up and acted like he couldn't breathe. I got a feeding ball off Amazon that goes in his bowl and he has to eat around it while it moves so he HAS to slow down! Has worked beautifully! They have slow feeding bowls too..but most of them were plastic and I really wanted to stick with stainless. It's important for you to do something because this could possibly lead to bloat and that;s very serious..in fact some dogs have died....good news is..its an easy and cheap fix!

I got one of these for Roscoe too and it has REALLY slowed him down. He was gulping and choking to the point that I would have to fish wads of kibble out of his throat. I tried the water thing with him but then he just wouldn't eat (of course that's just my experience with it). The food ball was a life saver for me.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Bubba does the same thing. Got a slow feed plastic bowl with compartments. It help some. It takes him maybe 30 sec longer than before1 :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.