Is my Bully abnormally large?

LoveMyBullyBoy

Sep 12, 2011
Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Gravy
Ok, so after spending some time on this forum, looking at all the ADORABLE pics, I'm now wondering if Gravy is abnormally large, or if we got duped when we bought him. He's CKC registered, which I know can mean nothing. My hubby had a buddy in college that bred a Rottweiler with borrowed papers. His Rott was purebred (so he said) but he never got his papers. So he just used the AKC papers of somebody else's dog. That's wrong in so many ways, but it just made me think that maybe the lady that bred Gravy could have done something similar? He totally looks & acts like an EB. And has had many of the health issues they have... cherry eye, hot spots, etc.. But he's just so big. He's about 21" tall, from his paw to the top of his back. I haven't weighed him lately, but he's around 65lbs, give or take. But I'm really wondering if he's just a big boy, or is mixed with something... American Bulldog or Olde English. ??
We were in Petsmart earlier this week & people acted afraid of him. An older man said, as we were leaving the store, "Nobody's gonna mess with you & your family!" And by that point I was like, He's an ENGLISH BULLDOG! He's a big ole baby who wouldn't hurt anyone, even if he had the energy to! I was nice about it, but still. It's like people think he's a pitbull or something. So what if he was. It doesn't matter if he's mixed, we still love him just the same. But it does have me wondering.
And yes, we did get him from what some may consider a 'backyard breeder'. We didn't know any better at the time. Nobody told me not to buy puppies that are being advertised in the newspaper! Until him, I'd always had mix breeds, mutts, pound puppies, rescues. The only papers I had on a dog were the ones from the animal shelter, or rescue group, where I adopted them.
Anywho, here are a couple pics I took in the car. That's the passenger seat of a Chevy Tahoe. Yes, he's that big.

1101011154.jpg1101011155.jpg

P.S. I know his hoodie has seen better days, but he loves that stinkin thing!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Gravy is super........ I'm sold..... I'll take him...! :yes:

He may have some Old English in him.
Listen, unless your original intentions were to breed him, or show him, then dont worry about it..
Every bully is different and only a select few (very few) are show quality.

Last edited:

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Both of mine are abnormally large and tall. too. My foster Rollo is really tall too.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think he's very handsome..I'm not the one to tell you..but honestly..Bullies come in ALL sizes..so 65 pounds isn't out of line! I agree with [MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION]..:eek:.. It doesn't matter..he is wonderful!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=3227]LoveMyBullyBoy[/MENTION]

Oh God! Oh God! Oh God! you got bully slopper on the car's window!

Edit : sorry, my OCD was acting up :lol:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well as everyone has said he is amazing to begin with so it doesnt matter. He looks very bully to me but his snout is a little longer than what I am used to so he could have some olde in him. Which honestly I have to say my fav bully ever is an olde so that is not a bad thing. 65 pounds isnt overly big for a bully. Cutty is healthy at 52 but he is smaller than most, very stocky but shorter than most. I wouldnt worry about it and honestly I really wish people would think my "kids" were tough. I am so paranoid of them getting stolen that people being confused over this would be a good thing I think. There are many ignorant people out there, dont let them bother you. :)

OP
LoveMyBullyBoy

LoveMyBullyBoy

Sep 12, 2011
Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Gravy
@LoveMyBullyBoy

Oh God! Oh God! Oh God! you got bully slopper on the car's window!

Edit : sorry, my OCD was acting up :lol:

LOL! The window? Haha! You can't see all the dried slobber & eye boogers on the back of the seat & top of the console! Your OCD would go into over drive. But that's why I have leather... easy to wipe the dogs and kids boogers & slobber off of! I don't even bother cleaning that side of the car anymore.

I'm not overly concerned about his size. I really think he's very tall & that's what throws people off. Bullys are supposed to be short & wide. I also read that neutering a male very young can make them grow to be thinner & leggier. I don't believe everything I read, but that could make sense, since we had Gravy neutered right at 6 months. Maybe he hadn't filled out yet. Who knows. Honestly, I am totally okay with people thinking he's a Pit, or some other such "dangerous" (insert sarcasm) breed. But I felt the need to defend him to the little old men outside of Petsmart. If they'd seemed any more than harmless I probably would have replied with something like, Yep, you got that right. Whoa, don't get too close, he might take a chunk out of ya! I guess when he's not sleeping, he may appear intimidating. I can say the poor young ladies that work at our local Burger King are very afraid of him... they don't appreciate him quite like the guys and gals that we see in the Starbucks drive thru. :lmao: He does still have that handsome bully face. He's probably one of the best dogs we've ever had. So whatever mix he may, or may not, be... it's a darn good one!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He is handsome, I love him!! Bullys come in many shapes and sizes, even from the same litter. I would not fret over it. You should be prepared with some good one liners. Like "yeah, he may lick you to death"....

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Looks like he is mixed with Olde English, which is nothing wrong with that, because Olde English are good dogs also. He is a handsome boy and enjoyed the pics of him. I have to laugh when uneducated people are afraid of these lovable bullies.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
You should be prepared with some good one liners. Like "yeah, he may lick you to death"....

I have used that one MANY times..... or,, "Look out she may lick your hand off"

Gravy is waaaay Kewl!!!! I like him, A LOT!!!:heart::heart:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
:whew: Well I got my morning excercise in!! After chasing Vegas for the last 10 min. around the dining room table with a tape measure in hand I finally got him measured!! I have been wanting to know for a while anyway. Vegas has weighed 63 for over a year and a half, he is 17 inches tall from top of butt to floor and is 33 inches long from nose to his flap tail. My son see's two bully's at he dog park all the time, he says that Vegas is twice as long as the ones he see's, I have always thought he was long. I don't know what the "standard" measurements are?? [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]???? But I think Gravy and Vegas are perfect just the way they were suppose to be built!!!!

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
[MENTION=3227]LoveMyBullyBoy[/MENTION] I totally agree with everyone else. Bullies come in all different shapes and sizes. Matilda looks like her body type is the same as Vegas [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]. Gravy might had Olde English in him or be Olde English, but he is very handsome to me. :heart: :luv:

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Ok now you all have ME thinking.....Hmmmmmm

Here's a recent picture of Jack... I thought he was pure bred but now after he's been with me for a few months and has been growing, not so sure anymore..... Maybe its the food ?

JackMix.JPG

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online