Is my Bully abnormally large?

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
Gregory and Gravy look alot alike. And ive had the same kind of issue. I met both of his parents, his dad was fully on english bulldog. Short and like a little alligator, his mom was kinda tall but both around 50lbs. They both have papers in which i saw.However we have gregory who looks like a bulldog on stilts and weighting in at 72lbs! When i asked our vet about it he told me not to be concerned, hes healthy and dogs are like people. There are many variations tall, short, skinny fat.
Everywhere we go people ask what he is, i just tell them half english and half old english i really have no explanation as to why he is as tall as he is.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I think [MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] has been drinking again!!! very funny picture.

My first Bulldog, Sherman, weighed 75 lbs. and wasn't fat! Ruggles goes from 63 to 65lbs., has a long body and is "leggy". Mack is 50 to 52 lbs. They are all different sizes and shapes but still 100% Bulldog!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks is tall for an EB... people ask all the time if she is Ole EB and yes, she also weighs in at 60 lb.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Ok now you all have ME thinking.....Hmmmmmm Here's a recent picture of Jack... I thought he was pure bred but now after he's been with me for a few months and has been growing, not so sure anymore..... Maybe its the food ? View attachment 13528
Pure bred what? That's the question! :rofl:

BullyBlair

Jun 22, 2011
Puyallup (Tacoma) Washington, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Gravy is ADORABLE! He looks a little like my Reggie, who I am told is an OLDE English Bulldog....(I didn't know there were different kinds of EB until I adopted mine).
I was expecting Reggie to be shorter and not so long in the torso, but the Vet tells me that is classic Olde English.
Google it to find out more....from what I understand, the look (taller, longer, more active) is closer to how the bullies were in old England back in the 19th century, when they were used to bate bulls!

But just enjoy him......I think he's very handsome!!

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
Oh he looks just like titan and titan definately has olde english down the line somewhere....ill have to measure him...but i he was weighed last week and is 72 pounds

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
I honestly can't tell, so maybe you should send him here so that I can have a better look! Of course I might not want to send that handsome boy back to you.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw hes wonderful no matter what he is. thanks for the pics and we generally just ignore [MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] around here:ROFL:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Gravy is the best name ever, for starters.

You know, I didn't realize the breadth of body types and sizes of EBs until I came here. I suppose all of this is a testimony to how important it is that competent, legit, true ambassadors of the breed are the ones doing the breeding. If you read the breed standard; for the purpose of showing and winning shows - most of our dogs don't come close in one way or another. There's a lot of criteria - and 99% of the "must haves" are certainly things I don't give a rip about. ha ha ha All I care about is happy, healthy dogs - and clearly, Gravy has THAT covered! Both of my dogs began their lives at reputable breeders - one far more so than the other in that they show constantly and have many, many championships over the years - and they couldn't be more different in many ways - mostly size. Unknowing people remark always "They're the same breed?" Always surprised.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.