Training your Bulldog.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] - that worked - until she figured out that it was a pill trick. Yogurt used to work too. Bea can eat something and then eject that pill like a bullet from a gun. Clever that one. If she were a human, she would be one of those people that win bar bets by tying a marashino cherry stem in a knot - in their mouth.

The other evening, I gave them both green beans in their food and she managed to lick the gravy off each kibble, eat the kibble and eject the green bean. No kidding. There was a pile of them next to her dish. Fortunately, Bo likes to "clean up" and he doesn't mind second hand green beans.

OP
kayrahbear

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] What a crafty little girl you have! Roscoe will eat anything, even things he shouldn't. I'm constantly scouring my backyard for pokeweed (I'm not sure if that's the technical name :tease: ) because he loves to try and eat the toxic berries. :nonono:
I'm feeling very inspired to start training Roscoe as well. I'm home with him very often and I feel a little embarrassed that he's not better behaved.

One last question for everyone. Roscoe has a big problem urinating on my couch and bed. I can take him out RIGHT before I leave and as soon as I get home there's a pee spot. It's not a tiny dribble like when he's marking- it's a huge spot. Today I ran to the grocery store, took him outside right before I left, and came home to a big spot on the couch.
I was keeping him in a wire kennel with his own comfy bed when I'd leave- but he rammed it with his head until he actually broke the door completely off. I tried a closed-in plastic kennel, but he busted the door off on that too.
Could it be a sort of separation anxiety? He's very well potty trained- it's just those certain spots and only when I leave him. I'm at a loss about how to stop it, unless they make titanium kennels :lmao:.

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3197]kayrahbear[/MENTION] - I'm anxious to hear what others will say. I agree that destroying crates after you leave must totally be a separation anxiety issue. I also think that crating will ultimately be the way to resolve the peeing. Maybe you can work on him being calm in his crate while you are home - so you can reenforce that habit first?

OMG@pokeweed! And I thought my neighbor's poop eating boxer was bad!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] What a crafty little girl you have! Roscoe will eat anything, even things he shouldn't. I'm constantly scouring my backyard for pokeweed (I'm not sure if that's the technical name :tease: ) because he loves to try and eat the toxic berries. :nonono:I'm feeling very inspired to start training Roscoe as well. I'm home with him very often and I feel a little embarrassed that he's not better behaved.One last question for everyone. Roscoe has a big problem urinating on my couch and bed. I can take him out RIGHT before I leave and as soon as I get home there's a pee spot. It's not a tiny dribble like when he's marking- it's a huge spot. Today I ran to the grocery store, took him outside right before I left, and came home to a big spot on the couch.I was keeping him in a wire kennel with his own comfy bed when I'd leave- but he rammed it with his head until he actually broke the door completely off. I tried a closed-in plastic kennel, but he busted the door off on that too. Could it be a sort of separation anxiety? He's very well potty trained- it's just those certain spots and only when I leave him. I'm at a loss about how to stop it, unless they make titanium kennels :lmao:.
Ohhhh. Sounds like a bad case of separation anxiety. That's quite amazing that he can break open a wire kennel. My suggestion would be to put him in a small room when he is left alone. Like a small bathroom or laundry room and put his bed there with him with his favorite toys. Also, you can put a shirt that has your smell in there with him.My bichon frise has really bad separation anxiety issues and he would go psycho if left to roam the house. He does better in small den-like spaces.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
**bumping this up***

For two days, I have been RELENTLESS with Bo and his pulling issue. I've taken off the "pitch" collar (squirrel protector, actually) and I've taken a hungry Bo out with just kibble and he's responded amazingly well. Consistency is key. Yesterday, I fell of the wagon. He was sooo anxious to get to the dog "free range" area and I had Bea with us - and she walks sooooo flippin slow.....so I caved. Oh how quickly he went back to his naughty ways. Indeed: it's ME that's the problem. Not these dogs! But then, we knew that didn't we? :tease:

I'm going to stay at it and rely on this thread to keep me accountable. Anyone else? I don't want naughty doggies! I take them virtually EVERYWHERE with me. I don't want it to be a drag (literally) to do that.

hooligan

Sep 27, 2011
To everyone who is interested in clicker training. check out some of the leerburg articles and videos about marker training. http://leerburg.com/search/searchresults.php?terms=marker%20training
I like to use a marker word instead of a clicker because unless I loose my voice I'll always have my marker with me. With the clicker you have to have it on you and in your hand to be able to use it. I can mark any action when ever and where ever without having to reach for a clicker.

@Vicaroo1000 What a crafty little girl you have! Roscoe will eat anything, even things he shouldn't. I'm constantly scouring my backyard for pokeweed (I'm not sure if that's the technical name :tease: ) because he loves to try and eat the toxic berries. :nonono:
I'm feeling very inspired to start training Roscoe as well. I'm home with him very often and I feel a little embarrassed that he's not better behaved.

One last question for everyone. Roscoe has a big problem urinating on my couch and bed. I can take him out RIGHT before I leave and as soon as I get home there's a pee spot. It's not a tiny dribble like when he's marking- it's a huge spot. Today I ran to the grocery store, took him outside right before I left, and came home to a big spot on the couch.
I was keeping him in a wire kennel with his own comfy bed when I'd leave- but he rammed it with his head until he actually broke the door completely off. I tried a closed-in plastic kennel, but he busted the door off on that too.
Could it be a sort of separation anxiety? He's very well potty trained- it's just those certain spots and only when I leave him. I'm at a loss about how to stop it, unless they make titanium kennels :lmao:.
These are pretty pricey and aren't titanium, but your dog won't break out of em. http://leerburg.com/1093.htm People often think of crate training as a way to potty train a dog. Crate training is so much more than that. It is a way that will help establish you as the alpha in the pack. If you control where the dog is 100% of the time you can then start creating boundaries for your dog that they will respect because they respect you.

Basic obedience and exercise is the key to solving 99% of behavioral issues with any dog. Without establishing and maintaining basic obedience and pack order you do not have the right to expect your dog to anything. Once you have good OB then you can train your dog to stay off of the couch. If he gets on the couch when you leave you can find a way to sneak a peak from a window and watch for him to get on the couch and give a correction with a remote collar.

**bumping this up***

For two days, I have been RELENTLESS with Bo and his pulling issue. I've taken off the "pitch" collar (squirrel protector, actually) and I've taken a hungry Bo out with just kibble and he's responded amazingly well. Consistency is key. Yesterday, I fell of the wagon. He was sooo anxious to get to the dog "free range" area and I had Bea with us - and she walks sooooo flippin slow.....so I caved. Oh how quickly he went back to his naughty ways. Indeed: it's ME that's the problem. Not these dogs! But then, we knew that didn't we? :tease:

I'm going to stay at it and rely on this thread to keep me accountable. Anyone else? I don't want naughty doggies! I take them virtually EVERYWHERE with me. I don't want it to be a drag (literally) to do that.
I'm so glad to hear that you've become motivated to work on OB training with your dogs. I was wondering if by "pitch" collar you meant prong collar. Make sure that it's fitted properly it should fit high on the neck right up behind his ears take out any extra links to get the proper fit. If you have his on leash walking good and consistent then start training his off lead recalls. To work on his off lead walking and manners get a long drag lead. that way you can call him and if he doesn't respond to the call you can get a hold of him easily get to him and give him a correction.

OP
kayrahbear

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
I think using this thread to stay accountable is a great idea! I put Roscoe in the bathroom yesterday with his bed and my old sweatshirt. He did really well, but of course that wasn't our only problem.
Today we're going to start working on his snapping treats out of my fingers. Here's to hoping I still have all 10 by the end of the day. :p

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3327]hooligan[/MENTION] - excellent post and very helpful, thank you. I like the idea of marking a behavior without needing a clicker.

The "squirrel collar" - is a pinch/prong collar, yes. Our neighborhood is full of them (squirrels) and it used to be that when Bo sees one, he'd literally choke himself to fainting trying to get at it. Seriously. I thought, if that boy has a trachea left in adulthood, it's going to be a miracle. Good news tho: he IS improving because yesterday we went out with his everyday martingale collar and I only needed to use the voice correction and a quick tug on the leash and he did not try to chase them. I am certain that I have the prong collar too loose too. I'd really prefer not to use it at all.

Oddly enough, I have his off leash recalls pretty good already and continue to train this. It's a game we regularly play at the off leash area. I've never done it with a mega-distraction, however. Today, I took them to a park with a TON of distractions and Bo was a crazy maniac. They do much better in a distraction-full park when they're not so full of energy.

[MENTION=3197]kayrahbear[/MENTION] - how many fingers ya got left? hahahaha

OP
kayrahbear

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] A grand total of 10! He did really well. We work for a little while getting him acclimated to his word (yes). I would just say it and give him the treat. I held it flat in the palm of my hand and would just close my hand if he snapped at it. After about 10 minutes he caught on. We're going to give it a go st the same time tomorrow and see if we can keep it up. :begging:

I'm glad you're making progress with Bo's squirrel loving!

hooligan

Sep 27, 2011
@Vicaroo1000
Does Bo have other distractions that will cause him to bolt, but aren't as over stimulating as squirrels. If you have a milder distraction that you can work with Bo on then it will be easier to build his focus. Once he conquers the mild distraction you can graduate him to a medium distraction etc. Martingale collars don't have to be used with a jerk correction. If properly fit and you lift up(like you're trying to lift the dog off the ground with it) it will restrict airflow and take the dominance drive out of the dog giving him a chance to start hearing and understanding your commands.

-Loki

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3197]kayrahbear[/MENTION] - awesome! Bo is a treat snatcher too. (so many things to work on with that boy)

[MENTION=3327]hooligan[/MENTION] - Since he's not quite 11 months, he's pretty easily distracted. I'm quite certain I couldn't purposefully restrict airflow. I don't have it in me.(He'll do it to himself with a flat collar...ugh)

The most annoying thing right now (in public) is this: everytime he sees another dog he acts like he's never EVER seen one before and he'll DIE if he cannot get to them. He's had play dates and he's been to daycamp once so far and he loves to play and responds appropriately (eventually) when the other dogs set boundaries. (Very early on, I saw a teeny tiny Pomeranian put him in his place and it was a DEELIGHT to watch. Lesson: dogs come in all sizes and none of them appreciate being mounted. He's still learning that lesson everytime he meets a new dog.)

Right now, for me, I'm working on my energy (calm assertive - not frustrated) and my own consistency.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online